Tonybear61 07-Aug-19
Grubby 07-Aug-19
Cotton 15-Jan-21
32Timbers 24-Jan-21
RD 25-Jan-21
31-Jul-19

Grubby's embedded Photo
Grubby's embedded Photo
At least it looks like it to me. Good deal, a common sense move.

31-Jul-19
Awesome news; I'll tell my 15 year old beagle she doesn't have to go through life looking over her shoulder any longer;)

31-Jul-19
Lol, I wonder if they would pardon her for past crimes?

31-Jul-19
About damn time!

01-Aug-19
One look at those sad eyes and they'd give her full pardon, Grubby!! lol

05-Aug-19
Sounds like a common sense move, keep it on a leash. Maybe there will be some deer found that wouldn't have been. I see that Game Fair is having a contest along with the shed dog competition.

05-Aug-19
I just let the wolves track it and keep an eye on the ravens, hopefully there will be some stew meat by the time I find it, amazing how fast the deer can be stripped.

06-Aug-19
I had ravens go down on a deer that dropped within sight of where I shot it. In less than a minute. That was in WI along St. Croix River.

I have only used tracking dog once, that was I Alabama where it was legal. Only able to follow the trail for another 50 yds til it got stumped same as me. That one got into swamp, lowlands probably ended up as gator, bear food. In talking to the outfitter on that trip there were quite a few they set the dog after that season, recovery wasn't improved that much. Part of the issue may have been to poor hit, arrow penetration, a lot of standing, grass, weeds taller than trees, tough tracking- plus the gators to think about. Armadillos everywhere that were distracting the dogs.

It the animal is hit well, generally don't go far. If they aren't in my opinion tracking dogs will not be the answer folks think they will be.

06-Aug-19
The only tracking dog I've had any experience with was great, don't under estimate what they can do, especially with gut shot animals.

07-Aug-19
OK maybe your experience was better than mine. It was a buck hit a little further back and lower than I wanted. However, I did see it after it spun around standing broadside just out of range attempting to pull the arrow out as it was almost a pass through. Only time I have ever witnessed that

From the position I saw, recovering the arrow and blood trail; wasn't a gut shot, but dog couldn't stay on the track. Either that or the tracker wasn't very interested in locating the animal.

07-Aug-19
Call me an outlaw if you want but i have recovered several deer for myself and others over the years using my terriers. Made short work of nonexistent blood trails. There’s no reason not to bring in a dog and explore every option when’s bad hit is made. Unfortunately I am without a dog at the moment but I may start looking for another. This is a good reason to have one.

15-Jan-21
Only used a tracking dog one time, it was at Shiloh Ranch in Oklahoma on a hog. Good shot, pass through with both lungs hit. Very little blood and that little terrier trailed it at a dead run for 250 yds, very impressive!

24-Jan-21
I would like to get one. There is a trainer in WI that sells finished dogs. They are spendy but sure would be nice for the time one needs it.

25-Jan-21
If I were younger I'd get one, I saw one in action in Africa in 2001 and it was great. This past Oct a friend hit a big (guessed 165) buck and called me to help track, we couldn't find but a very small amount of blood about 75 yards from where the deer was hit and left it til morning. My friend called a guy from Wi he knew had a dog and soon we were underway. The dog got really excited at the blood and we tracked a couple hundred yards and then the excitement went away. We covered the whole farm and the dog's owner said he believed the deer was still alive from the dogs reaction. 2 days later the buck showed up on trail cams with a mark high on it's shoulder. My friend was very relieved, now we had the whole story. The dogs owner said about 3/4 quarters of the deer he tracks and doesn't find show up again.

• Sitka Gear