Brooklyn 02-Aug-19
Wild Bill 02-Aug-19
deerstalker 02-Aug-19
Brooklyn 03-Aug-19
spike78 03-Aug-19
Rader1 03-Aug-19
Buckndoe 03-Aug-19
02-Aug-19
I have a Savage 220 F bolt action shotgun that I have been having problems with... Every three or four rounds I experience a light strike... It dimples the primer however does not fire... This gun is extremely accurate so I would like to figure out whats going on... I use 3" Federal Trophy Copper Sabots 275 gr... I called Savage but they want me to send / ship them the rifle at my expense and pay for all parts and labor... They confirmed there is a documented problem and want to replace the firing pin / spring assembly in the bolt... They will not sell me the assembly, stating I have to go through my FFL... Does anyone own this specific rifle and if so have you experienced similar problems.

02-Aug-19
I had one and only slugs that shot accurately out of it were the Remington accutip sabot slugs , which are the factory recommended have you tried those. Never actually hunted with it so I sold it but I shot it like 30 times at the range and never had an issue .

02-Aug-19
Yes I have used the Remington Accutips and they shoot well out of my gun... I felt they didn't have the necessary stopping power.

02-Aug-19
I have one also and shoot the Remington Accutips 2 3/4". It has performed fine killing the 2 deer that I have shot at. If those slugs work and eliminate your problem don't hesitate to go that route, they have plenty of stopping power.

That being said I think you should box it up and ship it back to Savage for the warranty repair. Do it now so you get it back in time for the upcoming season.

02-Aug-19
Have you spoken to another gunsmith? If it's a firing pin issue, someone else should be able to do it pretty quickly.

02-Aug-19
I provided Savage with my serial # and they said the firearm was no longer under warranty... I purchased it about 7-8 years ago. can anyone recommend a good gunsmith...?

02-Aug-19
The parts they suggest replacing reminds me of a problem I had with another rifle(.44mag). There was wear on the bolt where the pin protruded through and met the shell primer. In my gun the pin would fracture at the tip and begin piercing the primers. See if there is uneven or excessive space around the pin as it protrudes through the bolt face.

02-Aug-19
Brooklyn, Mitch Schultz in Southport, Ct. great gunsmith.

03-Aug-19
awesome thank you

03-Aug-19
I would try different shells first before anything. That is BS if it is a known problem and Savage won’t fix it cuz it’s out of warranty. I’d tell them they lost a customer. I’d bet S&W would send you the part free.

03-Aug-19
Brooklyn I sent you a PM about gunsmiths.

03-Aug-19
Also like the rem. Accutips. And the 220.

• Sitka Gear