Jim Principi 03-Aug-19
VanInVTown 05-Aug-19
Will 05-Aug-19
MCDM 06-Aug-19
VanInVTown 02-Sep-19
Wild Bill 02-Sep-19
MCDM 06-Sep-19
02-Aug-19
Entering the realm of saddle hunting this year. Any Saddle hunters out there that can offer up any suggestions / advice? I am purchasing a Tethrd Mantis saddle, and plan on using Wild Edge tree steps, and eventually adding a platform. I figure I can go from carrying about 20 lbs to less than 10 lbs.

02-Aug-19
The ma forum had a thing on it

02-Aug-19
VaninVTown - Come up to our (MA) forum, and ask PeterK to post up, or search some of his stuff. He's a damn saddle savant. The guy literally makes (read: sews) his own, splices his own ropes, created a genius aider system... And he also has put on the "Ma Bowsite Saddlepalooza" the past two years - this year he had companies like Tethered, Wild Edge, etc donating prizes and sending saddles for folks to try out etc. The man is amazing in his saddle knowledge.

He also loves sharing info about it. He made this vid last year, I believe his climbing system has evolved a bit further since, but similar enough:

Not sure if you can post more than one vid per post so Ill do another...

02-Aug-19

Will's Link
https://www.youtube.com/user/pkovago/videos

Here is Pete's youtube channel, he's got a ton of saddle related vids that may help.

I'm wrestling with a saddle. Not a fan of heights... and I'm told that being so strapped in feels extra safe... But I LOVE having a lot of platform... makes me feel safer even with a full body harness... so I'm still wrestling with the idea. Love the concept of sub 10#, potentially, for my entire climbing system - awesome for doing long walks into public with the some what "run and gun" style I like...

Look up Pete, he's a good guy with a lot of info to share on this.

03-Aug-19
X2 what Will said Pete is a saddle nazi!

03-Aug-19
" I believe his climbing system has evolved a bit further since"

I sincerely hope so for his sake.

Those steps were invented and sold by Jim Stepp. I bought a set of twelve when he was at the Kittery Trading Post hawking them. The climber in the video was spacing them too far apart. You want the first to be knee high, the next waist high and the third, chest/neck high. The line mans belt he used does hold you against the tree for next step placement, but, if you slip/fall/miss a step, you will find yourself in a bad situation. A full body harness with a tether going up the tree ahead of the top step, above your head as far as your arms can reach, is much safer. If you noticed, he did himself a favor for the video by wearing pointy boots, to better catch that loop he was using. Pack boots or rubber boots could be tough to find the loop, especially in the dark. With the steps spaced properly, such a loop is not needed.

The rope attaching the steps to the tree have to be either polyester or polyethylene, because they need no/low stretch and will hold the tension you get when you "cam" the step into place. Nylon has too much stretch to do the job.

A hazard with this type of step is dislodging the step, should whatever you hoist up catches. Another reason to space them closer than he did.

You should have a secure attachment to the tree any time your feet are off the ground.

IMHO, saddles have more disadvantages than a stand.

03-Aug-19
I too will be trying saddle hunting this year also provided the gear I have on order gets here in time. I didn’t go with a Mantis because they’re on at least a three to four month back order. I did order the Wild Edge steps which are made here in Ct. They’re on a four week back order and the Predator platform I order in also on a four week back order. Saddle hunting is all the rage right now. Looking forward to trying something new. For me and my style of hunting I think it will prove to be better than a traditional treestand.

05-Aug-19
Thanks for the info everyone, looking forward to giving this a shot this year.

05-Aug-19
Wild Bill. With a saddle, you have 1 or 2 connections to the tree at all times. Pete does in the vid. The wild edge steps, as you noted, originally would have been used at normal spacing, like screw in steps. But saddle guys, and many using sticks now, are adding "aiders" which allow them to almost double the spacing while maintaining contact. Seeing it in person is pretty amazing. It's basically like watching an expert arborist/rock climber move around the tree.

Still not convinced it's for me... But it's pretty amazing.

06-Aug-19
Where are you located in CT? I have been exclusively hunting this way for over a decade!! I can help you with anything you need and i have worked with Peter K in the past!!

02-Sep-19
MCDM I am in the eastern part of the state, near the RI line.

02-Sep-19
With the steps spaced properly, such a loop is not needed.

Anybody can abuse the intended design, and the issue is not how many points of contact with the tree is safe. A fall with a waist belt can disable a body, thereby insuring death.

Experience is a poor teacher, in that the first time a problem happens, it could be your last.

06-Sep-19
VaninvTown im located in East Hartford. I primarily hunt the northeastern part of the state both public and private. Please feel free to reach out to me and i sent you a private message as well.

Just for information purposes I am currently working with the Backcountry hunters and anglers on doing demos and workshops come the spring. I will also be attempting to set up some of these events here in CT for any who maybe interested to come out and try it. I will have all gear and sizes to demo but since the season is upon us this will be more in the spring time. Till then if you have any questions or need anything please message me and I’ll get back to you and that is open to anyone on bowsite for that matter. I wish everyone the best of luck and a safe season.

• Sitka Gear