Dogman 13-Aug-19
Red Sparky 13-Aug-19
Trophyhill 16-Aug-19
mrelite 16-Aug-19
Red Sparky 19-Aug-19
Elkslaya 19-Aug-19
Red Sparky 20-Aug-19
06-Aug-19
The 2019 Draw reports are out on the G&F website. If any of you are like me and crunch numbers for odds and statistics have fun. The one thing I noticed was they are not listing the % of R, NR, and O at the end like they use to. I guess you have to figure that out yourself now.

06-Aug-19
Thanks got tired of checking online daily.

13-Aug-19
The NMWF will be posting a story about this situation in the near future. If you have Facebook follow the New Mexico Wildlife Federation Page for up-to-date news regarding these kinds of issues. If you don't use Facebookn check the "News" link at www.nmwildlife.org

Local media outlets no longer have the budget capacities to employ reporters to cover all events that sportsmen care about. We cover game commission meetings, forest planning processes, interstate stream commission happenings and all other news items we feel are relevant to sportsmen and women.

13-Aug-19
Every single year the odds get worse. News outlets tout that hunter #s are dropping, but without fail the odds drop every year. I've been watching the trend for nearly 2 decades. Pick a hunt code and it's gotten worse. Sad for us and future generations of hunters. Too much demand, not enough supply...

13-Aug-19
I wonder how many put in just to keep an actual hunter from going...?

13-Aug-19
HDE - That number is partially taken care of in the "did you hunt" and "did you harvest" questions on the post-season reporting. The answers to these questions are sort of available in the Harvest Reports. A "no" answer to either of those questions should result in more licenses being offered. A dishonest "yes" answer results in there being more critters left in the field than expected for us to hunt. If the anti's actually buy the licenses then kudos to them for "putting their money where their mouth is" and for funding our G&F Department. That strategy would cost them about $400 to $1000 to save one deer or elk. I doubt that many anti's have that kind of backbone.

13-Aug-19
Bill - not talking about harvest report data or a non hunter paying full for a license should they draw, I am talking about increasing the application count to prevent me from drawing by reducing my odds further.

13-Aug-19
I still don't understand your question HDE

13-Aug-19
How many non hunters, as in anti hunters, put in each year in hopes to draw a tag they will not use for the sole purpose of keeping smarba from drawing that tag. Is that why we see an increase in application numbers or is hunting really just getting popular all of a sudden?

I know a guy on the BG forum outright admitted he and his buddies put in for and draw cow elk tags in MT and then have a tag burning party while drinking a few beers to keep cows from being killed...

We know this happened in WY for a grizzly tag.

13-Aug-19
Facebook, Instagram, some people on certain websites and every other hunting Podcast reminding people to apply and spouting off about premium units doesn’t help. Hunting Fool, Go Hunt and the like play their role in adding applicants to the game. The internet as a whole is really to blame.

13-Aug-19
They have a tag burning party every year for antis that draw tags here. I can't remember if it is downtown Albuquerque or at the State Capitol in Santa Fe.

A few things I have noticed is elk hunting has become increasingly popular recently. Since about Y2K elk hunting has become the in thing. From what I remember back in 1980 there were few elk hunts and it was one of the only draw hunts in the state. I am searching back to my memory when I was 13 but we drew rifle hunts in Unit 6. I don't remember 3 hunt choices but it could have been that way.

The population of the state is getting bigger. Santa Fe is easily twice the size of when I grew up, Las Cruces has easily doubled in size since I went to NMSU, Albuquerque and Rio Rancho are growing. Even Los Lunas has grown since we moved here in 2003. I mean we have 3 McDonald's here now.

Here is a quick breakdown on all elk hunts. There were 78,292 first choice applicants with 57,198 resident applications, 12,835 NR, and 8,529 in the Outfitter pool. For a total of 22,371 licenses awarded: 19,882 residents, 1057 NR, and 1533 Outfitter.

16-Aug-19
The one stat missing is LO tags. RO and UW

16-Aug-19
Also how many of those LO tags are resident or non resident. I would also like to know how many outfitter pool tags were resident or non resident and I would like to know how many outfitter pool tags were full price outfitted hunts and how many were tags on the cheap, IMO every outfitter pool tag should be a mandatory fully guided hunt, no exceptions......... or get rid of the pool because it isn't providing the economic benefit it was intended to provide to the rural communities.

19-Aug-19
LO tags are not part of the stats since they are not in the draw. You can always buy a LO tag since they are not under the quota system or part of the draw. This is just to figure your draw odds to see if it is worth putting into the draw or spending big bucks to make sure you get a tag. By the way unit 34 is now the same percentage to draw as 16D, around 11% for residents.

19-Aug-19
34 has gone up? Maybe I’ll start applying for 34 again.

So how many LO tags are doled out? I hear it’s close to equal to the amount given in the draw? Which would be a bunch. More importantly are the UW welfare tags.....

20-Aug-19
For the SCR there are about 1000 ranches with 207 either sex bow only UW. So 207 licenses for archery UW. EPLUS either sex bow only is 2 licenses. Total licenses given out for archery 209. As best as I can count this evening about 3000 total authorizations for EPLUS plus about 1000 for SCR's so total would be around 4000 LO authorizations. That would only be about 1/5th of the total elk licenses. Feel free to check me because counting this late at night I am sure I missed some. I forgot that about 700 of those are for Vermejo Park.

• Sitka Gear