Jeff in MN 09-Aug-19
Crusader dad 21-Aug-19
WausauDug 22-Aug-19
07-Aug-19

Crusader dad's embedded Photo
Starting from FOSCC in Mesa.
Starting from FOSCC in Mesa.
My dad died this past May and I bought his truck from my sisters. He was a decorated and proud Vietnam vet Purple Heart recipient. He will be buried with full military honors at Arlington in two weeks. He lived in Mesa, AZ so I flew with my family to clean out his house (donated everything useful to the disabled vets center in Phoenix) and have a party with his friends to celebrate his life.

My sons and I road tripped back home in my dads truck and we had some amazing adventures. My wife flew back home. I know this isn’t hunting related but I wanted to share some of our photos and adventures with you guys. If you’re not interested then simply skip the thread. We did this trip in honor of my dad. It was very emotional for me and I’ll cherish these last few days forever.

Some of the photos may turn out sideways so I apologize in advance. I post from my phone and Bowsite doesn’t always give me the option to edit them after posting. Enjoy the ride boys. I know my dad was watching and smiling the whole way.

07-Aug-19

We had no real plan other than to take the long way home. My nieces and nephew joined us in Sedona At Slide rock to kick off the trip. We trekked away from the crowds and found a nice secluded spot for cliff jumping.

07-Aug-19

My youngest has always wanted to do the 4 corners monument so after Sedona we headed that way. Along the way we happened across an abandoned hotel. Being three boys without a mom/wife to tell us no, our trip motto was “full send bro”.

07-Aug-19

The boys made it back out alive and we decided to lay there for a while just taking in the sky.
The boys made it back out alive and we decided to lay there for a while just taking in the sky.
We arrived at 4 corners around midnight having no idea that it was going to be closed, fenced and gated. Well, we didn’t come all this way to let a fence stop us. I stood guard while the boys snuck in. This was the most amazing view of the night sky that I had ever seen.

07-Aug-19

Snow in August
Snow in August
After 4 corners it was on to CO. We stopped in Breckinridge for some absolutely terrifying mountain biking down the ski slopes. If you have the guts I highly recommend doing this. Death or devastating injury is a real possibility. After hitting the slopes it was on to Denver for a sunset rooftop dinner in downtown.

07-Aug-19

The beauty of Colorado cannot be overstated and pictures don’t do it justice.

07-Aug-19

The hat. This photo was taken in Rocky Point Mexico on my sisters wedding day. We had the entire golf course to ourselves.
The hat. This photo was taken in Rocky Point Mexico on my sisters wedding day. We had the entire golf course to ourselves.
My hero standing tall.
My hero standing tall.
After Denver it was on to SD through WY. (I needed to check WY off of my states list). We arrived in Custer SD at sunrise. The oldest stayed in the truck while the youngest and I had breakfast at “our place” in Custer. They had a small memorial so I donated my dads favorite hat along with a short story about him. The owner cried, I cried, I know my dad would be very very happy to have his hat in the collection of stuff.

07-Aug-19

Huntcell 's embedded Photo
Huntcell 's embedded Photo
"the Navajo Nation, which maintains the monument as a tourist attraction,"

07-Aug-19

Huntcell, my boys both touched it but no pics because they went in ninja style and couldn’t risk a camera flash.

After breakfast was the black hills. I’d have loved to spend more time in those hills but it was super early and we had a big day ahead of us. Mule deer were everywhere! I’m definitely planning a camping/hunting trip out there. We did the obligatory my Rushmore and wall drug before heading to the badlands.

07-Aug-19
Thanks for sharing!

07-Aug-19

Onto the Badlands! This was probably the most nervous I was for my sons safety. Keeping with the full send motto we did some super sketchy climbing. One wrong move and it would have taken hours to get a dead body out of there. We did see some antelope as well. The helicopter ride was the icing on that cake!

07-Aug-19

From the badlands we headed to Palisades State Park for cliff climbing. On the way we stopped in Purdo SD for the best grass fed burger I’ve had. Paid it forward and bought the state troopers in front of us lunch as well.

07-Aug-19

I’m sorry for the sideways pictures. From Palisades we drove through the night and arrived at home around 3am. The people we met, the beauty of America and the adventures we had, all keeping my dad front and center. This was truly the best 3 days of my life and I’ll be forever grateful to have spent this time with my sons.

08-Aug-19
Sorry to hear about the passing of your dad. You mentioned he will be buried in Arlington in a couple of weeks, my dad has rested there since 1999 (WWII & Korean War veteran). That day, the ceremony, the internment, and the respect shown will stay with you forever. It will be an event you will never forget and a fitting honor for a veteran who served his country.

08-Aug-19
Condolences for your dad Shane.

Kudos for what we call a “Dad Trip”. You seem to have raised the bar with the Death-Defying Badlands Climbing, Ski Slope Biking, Helicopter Riding and Ninja Tourism.

Well done. I’ll try to up my game.

08-Aug-19
Condolences on your dad Shane. I just lost my mother to cancer on July 21 and know all the work behind taking care of business. My dad (died in 2001) was a Korean War vet. I understand your pride there as well. Sounds like you are having the times of your lives making the best of a tough situation.

08-Aug-19
The word “epic” gets tossed around far too often these days, but in this case that trip looked above and beyond epic! -One that you all will undoubtedly remember for your lifetimes and a great way to memorialize your father. Thanks for sharing.

08-Aug-19
Memories. Just like the song. I lost my dad in 2010. WWll MIA/POW. The hardest part is when you tag your deer. Take it home and you go to call dad. I do it every year. But I always say thanks pop for helping. Your boys will remember all they did on that trip. Oh, YES mom will find out. She will ask did you have fun. My wife and I did Mt. Rushmore in mid june. Got caught in a tornado just south of Keystone, neb. Did Walls. We where going to do Yellowstone, but they where calling for tornados all across wy. An 3-4 feet of snow in Yellowstone. Headed back home. One tornado is enough.

09-Aug-19
Wow, glad you all made it home. We were recently in the badlands and twice crazy kids about the age of yours almost took the plunge down well over 100 feet to the bottom of the cliff when they slipped on the cliff they should not have been on.

21-Aug-19

A fitting end to a story that started because of my dad. It was a beautiful service and I’ll never forget it. The service was Monday and we went back yesterday to clean it up and bury one of the bullets from the 21 gun salute. I know my dad was smiling down the whole time. Thanks for all the kind words fellas.

Daniel Herman Honore’ 173rd Airborne Brigade Twice wounded, one Purple Heart. He loved his country until the day he died and he died a true American hero.

22-Aug-19
great thread!

• Sitka Gear