travistroop 15-Aug-19
soapdish 15-Aug-19
Toonces 26-Aug-19
soapdish 27-Aug-19
Brian M. 28-Aug-19
grizzlyadam 28-Aug-19
N8tureBoy 28-Aug-19
12-Aug-19
put camera out in south windsor lots of acorns hunt by rhode island very little acorns its been 3years by the border no acorns

12-Aug-19
Patrick can you please translate what you just wrote

13-Aug-19
I'm fluent in patt, so let me translate. South Windsor has lots of acorns, however near the border of Rhode Island there are very few acorns and that's the 3rd year that this area has had few acorns. Now, for the weather.

13-Aug-19
I can pick my nose and pat my belly..at the same time..simultaneously

13-Aug-19

travistroop's embedded Photo
travistroop's embedded Photo
And you guys didnt believe me when I said I couldn't see any acorns. I'm over by Mohegan sun and in patchogue SF I haven't seen hardly any acorns. Same with the woods around me. But if you find a tree dropping them then they are dumping them. I found an old oak today while scouting in the rain and LOOK... is it normal for them to be this size already? The oak is a huge old one.

13-Aug-19
he won't be back .LOL

13-Aug-19

Shawn's Link
And another one..

https://youtu.be/rY0WxgSXdEE

Sry wrong link again. Correct one is above

13-Aug-19
Thanks BBB I’m not the sharpest tool in the shed. I reread again today after your translation and I could actually see what he was writing. Sorry Patrick maybe I was just tired when I read it originally

13-Aug-19
What size of acorns are you guys seeing?

13-Aug-19
Acorns from different types of oaks vary tremendously in size, number, and frequency of a good crop. These things are dependant on more than just moisture and temperature, so what's happening in one area of Chestnut Oaks (which is a white oak), is likely very different than what's going on in an area with Pin Oaks (red).

Oversimplifying things may make for interesting preseason conversation, but it doesn't really tell us anything useful. Find what they are eating, and be there when they are eating it. Failing that, try to intercept them heading to, or from, where they are eating.

One year I discovered that most of the deer in an area I was hunting had completely left the acorns and started feeding on sugar maple leaves. A bit of research taught me that these maple leaves get sweet after a hard frost. I didn't know that before, but the deer sure did.

Later in the season as the rut approaches, bucks have other things on their minds, adjust accordingly and you might end up in the right place at the right time.

Of course, if you have a limited area to hunt (say a particular piece of private land) the movement may be happening someplace where you can't go. And this, boys and girls, is why the wise old BigBuckBob hunts big pieces of (state) land. He's not constrained to the 3 acres in a subdivision. He goes where the big boys are.

13-Aug-19

SmoothieJonez's embedded Photo
SmoothieJonez's embedded Photo
I've been finding patches of trees that are producing & drooping small to midsize acorns. If you zoom in you can see the area is covered pretty good

14-Aug-19

Notme's embedded Photo
Notme's embedded Photo
Never saw a red acorn in a red oak tree before...

14-Aug-19
I was thinking dingleberry cause I'm in Greenwich..lol

14-Aug-19

Ace's embedded Photo
Ace's embedded Photo

14-Aug-19
LMFAO!!

14-Aug-19
I'm trying to upload a picture but the site monitor keeps shutting me down lol

14-Aug-19
The reds in my yard are loaded in NE CT

15-Aug-19
Is there a way to easily distinguish between white and reds? Like the poc I put up with them in my hand what are they? And which do deer like better?

15-Aug-19
I believe, something that I learned from here. White oaks have rounded tips on the leaves and deer eat these early in the season. Reds have pointed leaves and deer eat these late season because they are bitter.

26-Aug-19
walked one of my spots in NW yesterday. Seems to be a decent amount around, hopefully an improvement from last year.

27-Aug-19
I help my buddy now lawns on the side. Lots of acorns are dropping. Much more than previous years

28-Aug-19
Lots dropping here. Seeing more deer and turkeys in the yard than last 3 years. Good sign for my area, I hunt oak ridges.

28-Aug-19
Reds are looking pretty good this year. No whites that I'm seeing in the usual places, and the fruit trees did not do well either.

28-Aug-19
The shag bark hickory in my yard has been raining golf balls for the past couple of weeks.

• Sitka Gear