Vids 21-Aug-19
JohnMC 21-Aug-19
Fauntleroy 21-Aug-19
Vids 21-Aug-19
Treeline 21-Aug-19
jordanathome 21-Aug-19
Ghost425 22-Aug-19
13-Aug-19
So I was just lucky enough to pull a good archery deer tag. I know the unit and have hunted there several times.

What have others been seeing in terms of bucks above treeline? Did the late snow melts prevent food growth above treeline? One concern I have is if the bucks possibly never came up that high.

13-Aug-19
I have seen quite a few bucks above timberline this summer. Lack of food didn't seem to be an issue.

13-Aug-19
I saw a few when I was scouting elk in July in North Central CO.

13-Aug-19
That's all I needed to hear, thanks!

13-Aug-19
I have seen mostly does in the willows bowls. Bucks have all been small. That's in unit 37.

13-Aug-19
I think this will be a banner year for timberline hunts. The snow delayed the critters and the vegetation growth but when the snow did leave it came on strong. I suspect this will be a very good high country year.

20-Aug-19
Should be a great year for high country bucks from what Ive heard recently. The animals in the area I'll be hunting hung out lower around the alphalpha fields longer but have moved up as the snow melted.

20-Aug-19
Saw 6 bucks in 2 days this past weekend around 12000 ft. One was questionable but none of the others were mature bucks.

20-Aug-19
So how often are deer actually above timberline? Is it more common in certain parts of Colorado? The front range? Does and bucks?

I do a lot of hiking and have only seen deer above timberline a few times(mid summer, not during hunting season). I've never seen them while scouting and glassing. Never seen a bedded down deer up high(i really want to!)

I talked to CPW for unit 39 and the like. They specifically suggested below treeline for deer.

21-Aug-19

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
Got this nice looking buck on my trail cam way below treeline

21-Aug-19

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo

21-Aug-19
In the unit I'm hunting they can be anywhere. Above treeline all the way down to the low BLM land will hold good bucks.

21-Aug-19
I spent two weeks recently mostly above timberline sheep hunting. That was in S32 or mostly unit 39. I saw a lot of deer. A few very nice bucks. I never hunted deer early above treeline. I've got to admit I kind of have the itch to do it now. But then what would I do about by itch to hunt whitetails on the eastern plains?

21-Aug-19
I think they can be at any elevation this time of year. Even with the high country readily available I will still see good bucks at 8500'. I thinks it's more of a how do you want to hunt type of thing.

21-Aug-19
JohnMC - I hear ya. A few years ago I couldn't have cared less about mule deer, then I hunted them once above timberline with a bunch of big bucks around. Now I want to do it every year....

21-Aug-19
I like hunting above treeline....

21-Aug-19
whatever....... ;)

22-Aug-19
I agree with Fauntleroy. Those bucks can be at any elevation this time of year. Been seeing them from 6000 all the way up above 12000 ft.

• Sitka Gear