Contributors to this thread:
BillL 19-Aug-19
mrelite 19-Aug-19
Red Sparky 20-Aug-19
mrelite 21-Aug-19
RobbyPE 26-Aug-19
19-Aug-19

19-Aug-19
I lived in Socorro for several years, explored much of the western 1/3 of GMU 18, and never ran into elk. Elk are always hot, so looking for water and elevation...Maybe find them SW of Mountainair? OTOH...If your hunt is late enough, maybe find them wintering low after escaping out of Lincoln NF (e.g. west of Carrizo Peak or the Sierra Blanca's?) but you gotta find water and food out there too. Tough hunt. Should be nice and peaceful without having to compete with a bunch of other hunters.

19-Aug-19

mrelite's embedded Photo
mrelite's embedded Photo
mrelite's embedded Photo
mrelite's embedded Photo
Don't give up too easy.

20-Aug-19
What ?!? You mean there are elk in unit 18?

20-Aug-19

21-Aug-19
Lol Hope is good to have and I did mention not to give up too easy but with that said I don't know why they even have tags for that unit, did you notice the not working guzzler in the picture, it's a problem. I also have to say that I would never apply for unit 18 elk and I know the unit well, I kinda posted the pics with intent to give hope but knowing it's going to be very difficult if not impossible, I am curious as to what were you thinking when you applied? One more thing for that area in September, watch out for snakes, there are lots of diamondback and prairie rattlers and those little prairie snakes are hard to see.

21-Aug-19

21-Aug-19

26-Aug-19
I had this tag a few years ago and it was spotty depending on the water. Id recommend going to the northeast side of the unit

• Sitka Gear