Red Sparky 21-Aug-19
Dagwood_55 21-Aug-19
HDE 21-Aug-19
Red Sparky 22-Aug-19
Dyjack 22-Aug-19
HDE 22-Aug-19
Red Sparky 22-Aug-19
20-Aug-19
I realize this is a little outa season, but I'll be in Chama in mid Sept. Just wondering what the prospects of public land and spring turkey hunting??

Any general comments??

Thanks,

20-Aug-19
There is a fall turkey season in Sept for bow. November any-weapon season also. Not sure what unit you'll be in, but check because not every unit is open in the fall.

20-Aug-19
There is spring turkey in Sargent's and Humphries WMA's

21-Aug-19
I think all hunting in WMA's is resident only. This is from the proclamation but I would double check.

Nonresident Eligibility Nonresidents are ineligible for hunts held solely on State Game Commission-owned Wildlife Management Areas (WMAs) and draw antlerless elk hunts.

21-Aug-19
Turkey is OTC on those WMA's not draw.

21-Aug-19
Unit 4 has very minimal public land and different rules than other units due to most of it being private.

You can probably get into some birds on the bordering units, but good luck anywhere close proximity to chama. Worth going into the WMA if you're serious about it. (HDE is correct uniut 4 is OTC)

21-Aug-19
Your right HDE. I looked at the regs and as long is there is a hunt adjoining it and not specific to the WMA NR can access the WMA for hunting. I think this applies to OTC bear and cougar as well. As long as it is not listed in the closed area or a draw then NR are good to go.

21-Aug-19
OP here. So its open to NR and OTC. But are there huntable turkeys there?? Much hunting pressure?

May be camping and fishing on the Los Pinos River mid Sept, so I'll be in the area. Thought I'd look around a bit. Any advice on looking? Or where to hike in to look?

Thanks all....

21-Aug-19
Yes, there are huntable turkeys on public there. Hunting pressure is certainly not light, but not overrun either. You will have to walk anywhere from 1/2 mile to 1 mile to get into them good.

I suggest pulling info from the website about the WMA's and call the local warden in the area, I beleive it is Ben Otero.

22-Aug-19
Page 112 of the 19-20 proclamation:

OTC License Hunts—Continued. Areas Open for Fall OTC License Hunts Sept. 1–30 (bow only) and Nov. 1–30 (legal sporting arms) STATEWIDE: Except the closed areas listed below. CLOSED: Unit 2A (areas east of NM Hwy. 550 and north of NM Hwy. 173); Unit 2B (areas in the Carson National Forest); Unit 2C (areas in the Carson National Forest); Units 6B, 8, 14, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26, 27, 28, 30, 31, 33, 38, 43, 49, 50, 53; Bernardo WMA, Bill Evans WMA, Double E WMA, Edward Sargent WMA, Jackson Lake WMA, La Joya WMA, Lake Roberts WMA, Marquez WMA, Prairie Chicken WMAs, Red Rock WMA, Rio Chama WMA, River Ranch WMA, Sugarite Canyon State Park, Valle Vidal, W.A. Humphries WMA and W.S. Huey WMA.

Page 47:

Big-game and Turkey Hunting on Wildlife Management Areas (WMAs) All WMAs are closed, unless specifically open. If designated open: • WMAs open for big-game and turkey hunting are listed in this booklet for each big-game species by GMU. All other WMAs are closed to big-game and turkey hunting. • Only New Mexico residents may apply for big-game hunts held exclusively on WMAs. Nonresidents may only apply for hunts open concurrently on both a WMA and other public lands. • Legal big-game and turkey shooting hours are listed on page 40. • Scouting is allowed by each properly-licensed, big-game hunter with up to three guests during a seven-day period prior to the published start date of his/her hunt.

Reading this Humphries and Sargent WMA's are in the closed areas for fall turkey. Call G&F to verify.

22-Aug-19
Looks like no fall turkey there. Call to verify for sure. Bummer days, man. You can always drive to another unit.

22-Aug-19
As I said, spring turkey is available on the Humphries and Sargents WMA's. Could've swore that is what the OQ was...

22-Aug-19
Page 111 of the proclamation for spring turkey hunting. I thought he was asking about mid-September and missed the spring part.

Over-the-Counter (OTC) License Hunts Resident and nonresident spring or fall Over-the-Counter Turkey Licenses are available online: www.wildlife.state.nm.us, by telephone: 1-888-248-6866 and at NMDGF offices and license vendors. Hunters may purchase both spring and fall licenses. Areas Open for Spring OTC License Hunts: April 15–May 10 STATEWIDE: Except the closed areas listed below. CLOSED: Unit 2A (areas east of NM Hwy. 550 and north of NM Hwy. 173); Unit 2B (areas in the Carson National Forest), Unit 2C (areas in the Carson National Forest); Units 6B, 8, 19, 25, 26, 27, 28, 30, 31; Bernardo WMA, Bill Evans WMA, Double E WMA, Jackson Lake WMA, La Joya WMA, Lake Roberts WMA, Marquez WMA, Prairie Chicken WMAs, Red Rock WMA, River Ranch WMA, Valle Vidal, W.S. Huey WMA.

So yes open in the spring.

• Sitka Gear