onepin 26-Aug-19
GF 26-Aug-19
Will 26-Aug-19
GF 26-Aug-19
GF 26-Aug-19
22-Aug-19

travistroop's embedded Photo
travistroop's embedded Photo
I went out scouting yesterday and found a really good spot just. Unfortunately someone beat me to it. They cleared the whole area cutting down everything.

So my question is on public land how much do you clear for shooting lanes? I will cut off maybe a branch or two. Nothing too big. They call them shooting lanes not shooting areas for a reason. Also should you hunt this spot that this guy obviously claimed? Its on a WMA out by me.

22-Aug-19
What some people fail to account for when clearing shooting lanes this time of year is the impact of the leaf drop; as a rule of thumb I always did my shooting lane pruning in late winter/early spring to minimize the potential for clearing too much and creating the potential to get picked off by deer.

You are dead on point with the comment that they are shooting lanes, not shooting areas! This is absolutely a case of "less is more." I've often found that optimal (not "close enough" or "good") stand placement can significantly reduce the amount of clearing you need to do.

State land is always tricky on the do I or don't I hunt here question. Personally, I don't want to hunt where someone else has obviously set up shop, first and foremost because I have no idea about their hunting acumen; do they only hunt in the right wind? do they practice rigorous scent control? do they over-call? do they overuse scents?

There's a host of things another hunter can do that complete ruin a good area; why take the chance when we only have so many days afield? Find your own spot (and the longer it takes you to hike into one the greater the odds are you'll have it to yourself) and make you the only variable you need to account for.

Of course there's the ethical consideration too and that can sometimes get a bit complicated on state land. I say I wouldn't hunt where it's apparent someone else is simply because that's my hunting ethos; though we can offer opinions on the subject as it's public land it boils down to the individual hunters ethics.

22-Aug-19
That's illegal.

22-Aug-19
not fair to the guys that are out there following the rules and using the shooting lanes the are naturally available. think about where that hunters pressure may push the deer to and setup there.

22-Aug-19
It’s PUBLIC land; “belongs” to no-one. And I will hunt on public land where I wish. Usually, I’m just passing through, anyway.

Normally I don’t do any cutting at all, but THAT is just Beyond Stupid.

23-Aug-19
Gf your the type of guy to setup a climbed next to me! Have respect for another hunter. Get up sooner, work harder and you’ll beat those guys to the spot. Don’t hate because they put the effort in!

23-Aug-19
I hunt public land and try to avoid cutting anything living if possible. Deer are there 365 days a year they will notice a big change like that.. If there is a branch on a dead fallen tree that is in my way I will cut that. Generally, a little additional scouting/effort will allow me to find a spot that does not required pruning.

23-Aug-19
Kid, I hunt but I just hate you. :^)

23-Aug-19
I'll expand on this. You're scouting on public land, you find a treestand that's clearly not been touched in multiple years. It's in a good spot, do you take it over or leave it be?

23-Aug-19
Jarvis - Judge Much??

You don’t have the first freaking CLUE what “type” I am.

I have plenty of respect for any honest hunter; if I were headed to a spot I had picked out on public land and another guy was there ahead of me, then I’m cool with that. His for the day.

But if you think I don’t deserve to expect the same from the other guy, you can stick it.

Leaving a stand in place as a Keep Out sign is bull. PUBLIC land, savvy?

It’s no different from a good spot on a trout stream; if somebody else is already there, you move on or wait him out, and if you notice someone waiting on you, the polite thing to do is to give that spot a good effort and move on in a reasonable amount of time. Deer hunting tends to be an all-day deal, so you just move on. If you’re the guy who’s already in place, you’ve got to realize that you’re probably not the only guy in the state who has figured it out, so you pretty much have to expect that other folks will be coming through, whether they’re on their way to that spot, some other spot farther along, or just hunting their way through the area from the ground.

Public land in this part of the world gets crowded, but we’re all on the same team, aren’t we? Gotta put up with each other sometimes.

No sense being an arse about it....

24-Aug-19
I've hunted state land my whole life and have never cut trees down to clear shooting lanes, that's illegal and stupid (deer notice every little change and react to it). The most I do is trim a few branches near my stand once I'm up in the tree, and I agree with Mike that shooting lanes look a whole lot different when the leaves fall than they do this time of the year.

I've come across stands in the woods and have avoided those spots, no matter how good the area looks. What good does it do to have your hunt busted up by some other hunter walking past your stand at prime time, even if there are deer in the area?

24-Aug-19
thats sign of inexperienced hunter or someone that has no respect for the woods maybe both.. stay away from that spot could be bush hunter.. meaning if bush moves they shoot.. once i was dragging a deer out of state land along tote road, kept hearing fawn bleat. knew it was a hunter.. walked up on noise along road tucked in high grass found noise maker he was at full draw bow pointing at me.. he had know idea what to do.. he shoot his arrow in ground bout 20 feet from me.. as i started to freak after almost getting shot he began to say im so sorry my first time out here heard something thought it was a deer.. mind you he was about 250 feet from his and my car.. i began to give him ton of shit for almost shooting me,, i asked kim if he had a license he said yes.. you ever shoot a deer kid. of course no.. i said guess what now you have told him to take his tags out and watched him tag it.. left it at his feet.. close call on both of our sides.. should be a requirement to have a sponsor cause the state bow classes are not enough.. stay safe out there know the area...

24-Aug-19
No need to cut down trees, learn how to shoot out of your treestand, give a little effort into practicing, not the day before “ 1 arrow at 20 yards” type of practice hAha

24-Aug-19
Would I? Short answer, no.

"impale himself" - or someone else. I've seen so much of that on 3D courses and marvel that someone would leave a hazard like that.

If I have to take up to a two inch diameter tree out, I do so at a point as high as I can reach, then I drag the top off to a point where I want the deer to move around it, on my side. From above, the trunks/stalks are usually not an obstruction problem. Low cuts should be as low as possible and smudged with fresh dirt to hide the whiteness of a fresh cut. Of course, I would not cut like that on public land, where light trimming could be needed.

24-Aug-19
Scouted Barber pond a few years back saw the same thing, a 20 foot circle of 3 foot punji sticks. The funny thing was all the good sign was on the other side of the swamp a real PITA to get into.

25-Aug-19
“.. I mean wtf it’s like more and more guys are on here just to be smart ass and piss people off”

Said the (relatively new) guy who just posted a 3 or 4 point assault on another poster’s character.

Funny thing....

About 20 years ago, I likened Archery seasons to a low-key, BYOB gathering of home-brewers that got crashed by a bunch of Fraternity Boys who showed up with some Bud Light, polished off all of the good stuff and then started carping about how there was no good beer, the music wasn’t loud enough and - once ALL of the beer was gone - how it was too damn crowded anyway. So they left, leaving the place littered with empty Bud Light cans and broken glass bottles that the home-brewers had planned on being able to re-use.

The difference being that the Compounders just refuse to leave... And now the DEEP has decided to hold a “Beer Festival”, they’ve invited crossbows to the party, and they’re offering your choice of Bud Lime, Miller Clear or Zima.

25-Aug-19
See now that ain’t right GF. Why do you have to go there? What do you care what kind of bow I shoot a deer with? What diff does it make? Seriously I don’t get it!!

25-Aug-19
You all are a bunch of weekend warriors from gd to longbird. Quit crying and put the effort into hunting wwwhitails

25-Aug-19
Honestly, Rich, I don’t give a rip what kind of bow you shoot as long as your recovery rate proves that you know what you’re doing and that you give a damn about getting it right. And I know you do.

I traded off my Compound for a longbow I didn’t need because another guy had to quit Trad because of an injury, and now that bow I didn’t need is pretty much my go-to. I’m WAY deadlier with that than I was with wheels... Different strokes, you know?

Just kinda chaps me when the Johnny-Come-Latelies accuse the Old Guard of being the turd in the punchbowl when everybody was getting along well enough before “Johnny” showed up....

25-Aug-19
It doesnt matter what bow you use. To each his/her own. As long as you're proficient with what you have and your recovery rate is high. We are all stewards to represent hunting as best as possible to the non hunting public. Infighting will not achieve that. Stop acting like bitches.

25-Aug-19
Ach tung baby ,Heineken..

25-Aug-19
Weekend warrior? You’d better get your head out of your ass and know who your talking to before you start throwing labels on people Jarvis. As the old saying goes, I’ve forgotten more about hunting than you’ll ever know! When you figure it all out then come talk to me and I’ll let you know if your correct!!!

25-Aug-19
Hahha really now long birdi, I’m 65 years old and have about 55 years of hunting under my belt with countless trophies alone with many elk trips, I still shoot 70# bow. So come on over and talk to me and I’ll let you know if YOU are correct or not.

25-Aug-19
And absolutely no need for foul language. Do you know the rules here long burdieee? You should be kicked off so such atrocious language

25-Aug-19
Hi peepee

25-Aug-19
OK, Pi....

You’ve posted the same thing 4 times now. Seems to me you're taking to the wrong end o’ that mule...

25-Aug-19
Easy ladies no need to name call herrrrrrrr

26-Aug-19
Pi I just have my men’s church group if you are interested

26-Aug-19
I thought that type of clearing on state (public) land was against DEEP regs also someone correct me on this if its ok to clear cut the forest.

26-Aug-19
No. NOT OK.

26-Aug-19
Wholly smokes - were they putting in a food plot :)

I have a simple approach now: scout a lot and create a huge library of spaces to hunt (I'm 100% public in CT and only have one private spot I hunt in MA, everything else here is public or functionally public (so long as the town here does not have a written permission rule, non posted land is 100% legal here)). My second approach is to stay really flexible. If I go to a few spots and it looks like guys are in them, I may well just totally try out a new spot.

Brings me back to a belief that would stink as I get older (45 now) I suspect... On public ground, treestands/blinds have to come and go every hunt. It would reduce that sense of "I put up my fixed stand so it's my spot" ownership some guys get.

26-Aug-19
Definitely a PITA, but I’m for it!

26-Aug-19
Pi - a decent number of states require this. I suppose if they get enough complaints, they’d come and take the stand to the treestand impound lot.

I suppose in some respects it’s primarily a symbolic gesture, but look at it this way…

You plan your hunt, you show up in the morning, and you put up your stand (assuming there’s nobody else already set up and sitting in his tree right there).

If some other guy shows up with the intention of hunting from a tree stand that he has left there illegally, the law-abiding Hunter is under no obligation whatsoever to have chosen a different location or to clear out when the Scoff-law shows up.

And on the list of PO’s priorities, an illegally parked tree stand is one thing. An illegal Stand-Parker who behaves in a threatening/hostile manner towards a law-abiding type is quite another...

• Sitka Gear