Tate 23-Aug-19
jordanathome 23-Aug-19
Aspen Ghost 23-Aug-19
Stix 24-Aug-19
Jaquomo 25-Aug-19
Tate 25-Aug-19
jordanathome 25-Aug-19
22-Aug-19
This is a follow up to my earlier question about a cow elk hunt. I bought a B list over the counter cow archery tag. My main tag is a rifle tag. I'm trying to duplicate a calf elk sound that my uncle video'd last elk season. It's a sound very similar to a dog crying , sort of like a dog waiting to come indoors on your porch. I fully expected to see a german shepherd coming through the woods, but indeed it was a calf elk on the video. It continued to make this sound while being video'd. Later cow elk did come in. Sounded like a wail of a calf looking for it's mother. I thought this was a lost calf call, but others here informed me it was not. Can anyone tell me what type of call this is and if it is being sold by any store?

22-Aug-19
Go to youtube and search for cow elk sounds, elknut1's web site has lost calf sounds and on his app. Elk-n

22-Aug-19
I think they sound alot like the damn jays in the CO woods......but there is a difference if you pay attention. Dog whining is similar but I would not use that as my reference to develop a call.

22-Aug-19
I've had good luck making a sort of cat mewing sound.

22-Aug-19
Ditto on Longcruise comment.

22-Aug-19
Tate, I've heard it. Don't know what it's called but you don't need to "buy" it. It's easy to just imitate it without any device at all.

22-Aug-19
I've heard it also. I've always thought it was a lost calf. But the experts on here say otherwise. I've had success bringing in cows, spikes and other calves with it. I think it's more like a calf in distress. I've also had bears and yotes come in, and one time a cougar, so be ready for that kind of action too. You can duplicate it with a bite and blow call without the tail off on the end. Just keep pressure with teeth and do a short whine.

23-Aug-19

Tate's Link
This is a video of the sound I was hearing on my uncle's hunt. It is in fact an elk calf in distress call. Here is the web address if the link doesn't come through

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsnZv8WNMGk

23-Aug-19

Tate's Link
This is a video of the sound I was hearing on my uncle's hunt. It is in fact an elk calf in distress call. Here is the web address if the link doesn't come through

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsnZv8WNMGk

23-Aug-19
I've used calf in distress but to no good effect. My go to is to do an annoyed cow followed by an immature short crappy elk bugle followed by alot of racking and stomping. I've had elk come in on the run to see what was up. Otherwise the herd of cows works nicely if you have 3 or more callers.

23-Aug-19
Tate, that's different than the sound I was thinking of. The sound in your link should be easy to duplicate with most of the many mouth diaphragm calls on the market.

24-Aug-19
Tate, PM sent. We have an opening in our camp. We have horses, and hunt an otc area with good elk numbers, with folks happy to help out a newbie.

25-Aug-19
That's close to my go-to call for pre-rut bulls early in the season, and also when helping other hunters with cow tags during rifle season. Except I draw it out a little more and make it more distressed/pleading. The "lost calf" call in the video is more of a searching call, where the calf is saying "Mom! MOM?". What I'm trying to say is, "The spit's hitting the fan and I need some help over here!"

25-Aug-19
I'm interested! pm sent to you.

25-Aug-19
Nice!!!

• Sitka Gear