Great Grey Owl 31-Aug-19
Boris 31-Aug-19
soccern23ny 01-Sep-19
24-Aug-19

Ckapp22's embedded Photo
Ckapp22's embedded Photo
Ckapp22's embedded Photo
Ckapp22's embedded Photo
The season is almost upon us so I thought it would be fun to tell or re-tell some of your best/wildest/most unusual hunting stories.

I'll start with one that happened to me last year. Long story short, a buddy and I were hunting not too far from a forest road, when we came upon a husky that had got the business end of a porcupine. Thinking he just belonged to someone who was camping nearby, we started to walk him back to find his owner. I had only made it about 30 yards when we heard another bark coming from a group of willows nearby. I started to dig around, and sure enough, there was another husky mix that also picked the wrong fight. They were both in pretty bad shape and my guess was that the one had crawled into the willows for a final resting place. Both still had collars and leashes just like you see in the picture. The one walked while I carried the other. About 1.5 miles later and they were in my truck. Luckily enough, the 2nd dog had a tag with a number. I made it to cell reception and give it a call. The lady broke down crying..turns out the dogs belonged to a nearby landowner with a weekend house about 5 miles away. The dogs had been missing for 5 days. They had searched for 4 days but had no choice but to go back to their hometown. We ended up giving the dogs to a neighbor that was still in the area.

When it was all said and done, I ended up getting an "I owe you" and the landowner offered free pack service if I ever kill anything near their property and wanted help getting it out. The husband gave me his number and the number of the 3 local ranchers and said "just mention my name and tell them the deal and they will get you handled".

Pretty cool story for sure. Definitely not something I was expecting to have to deal with while hunting.

24-Aug-19
Good on you Chris for helping out those poor dogs. I hate me some porcupine. Sneaky bastages love to swing their tails at me in the woods.

I won't name the hand that used to post on here....but he brought his son out to the area we hunted. We had run into each other in years prior in this area and gotten acquainted but never hunted together. This was back around 2011 or so.

He had read Cam Hanes book on back country hunting and was all jazzed up to put it to work. He told us where he was going, down into a nasty canyon I'd been tempted to go into but never grew a big enough pair. I had taken off down into it once, lost the trail, blew out my legs, and bailed out before I got in over my head....solo.

Anyway off they go. 4-5 days later one of my hunting buddies runs into him and his son. My buddy was on his way back from an evening hunt and bumped into them.......going away from where his truck and our camp were.

He was dehydrated, was showing hypothermia, and was totally disoriented. His son wasn't much better and looked scared. He had every right to be terrified. It was one of the scariest situations I've encountered. If not for my buddy bumping into him there is not telling where they would have gone or if they would have survived. He had tossed aside nearly all his gear trying to scramble out of that nasty canyon. They were soaked, no water, no food.

We got them back to camp, dry, and fed and watered. Thank god for good luck. That was nearly a tragedy. Really drove home to me the importance of planning, knowing your limits, and not taking stupid risks in the western mountains.

24-Aug-19

Surfbow's embedded Photo
Surfbow's embedded Photo
Surfbow's embedded Photo
Surfbow's embedded Photo
New guy started a brush fire that got big enough to require aircraft...it was interesting...to say the least...

25-Aug-19
It was a fishing trip but I was also scouting a bit down in a deep canyon near Mt of the Holy Cross. Found a 68 year old man who had been stuck down in the canyon for 5 days after climbing the mountain. He had shelter (safety blanket), water and fire during that time but no food. He knew the way out but could not find a safe route. Search and rescue got him out the next day and he went back and climbed that mountain again 12 years later when he was 80. Tough SOB.

27-Aug-19
got caught in a sudden lighting storm and trees were literally busting to pieces all around us . All we could do was crouch out in the open and prayed nothing would happen. After wards the area look like a war zone. I never been so scare.

27-Aug-19
Found an elk graveyard of bones - most likely a lightning strike took out a herd of about 30-40.

27-Aug-19
Found an elk graveyard thought winter kill or something mentioned it to the game warden, he laughed and told me that’s where he dumps the road kills but don’t tell anyone else.

31-Aug-19
Many years ago archery season was over and we were rifle hunting in northern Larimer county (Bull Mountain). Six inches on the ground and still snowing. We had permission for private property. Tie Siding Wyo was probably the closest habitation. I don't remember why we drove back there in the late afternoon but we did. Met a man who was not dressed for the weather and was wandering looking to find a way out. He had walked away from camp, became lost, "compass was in camp" and walked off the mountain the wrong direction. We picked him up and drove him the 25 or 30 miles back to his camp. Pretty sure that if we had not wandered back there he would have been a 'died from exposure statistic'.

31-Aug-19
Last year here in Penna. I was gun hunting on the first Saturday. The square that I hunt in is 4 miles x 4 miles. I have hunted there for many years. As I tell my wife, if you draw an X right in the middle you will find me. Well hunting last year I got a Doe. Was bringing it out. I went about 3/4 of a mile when I saw a guy. He saw me an came running to me. When he got to me, he asked if I knew where I was. Yes. Can you help me I am lost. No cell, no water and no food. Oh, no compass or GPS. He was already soaked , cold , and hungry. Gave him my sandwich and water. He said that he would drag the deer if I helped get out. He was scared so I didn't argue. He told me that a friend talked him into hunting. Never hunted before. When his friend took him out there, the friend pointed in one direction an told him to go that way an hunt. His friend went in a different direction. I just shook my head. When we got out, I gave him my compass. Gave him a quick lesson an the guy wanted to head back in. I asked him if he was sure. YEP. OK.

01-Sep-19
Whelp just today I almost had a fawn spear itself on my broadhead.

Was sitting in a tree seat at ground level, heard a noise turned to my right and a deer was running full speed down the game trail towards me. Skidded to a stop in the leaves about 4 yards from me, then did a head bob up and down trying to make out what the hell I was. Would have been interesting if it had kept going.

• Sitka Gear