Buglmin 28-Aug-19
Chasewild 28-Aug-19
Colobow 29-Aug-19
Buglmin 29-Aug-19
Colobow 30-Aug-19
25-Aug-19
Newbee drew gmu 75. Never been there. Need suggestions on where to go

25-Aug-19
Look for the elk crossing signs on the roads. Park there and head in.

25-Aug-19
Drew for what? A lot of private land in test unit. If you drew for deer, good luck finding someone that'll let you hunt. Outfitters sew up the land for clients.

25-Aug-19
Good question buglmin, forget to say drew for elk. Planning on heading to Durango area and starting there but not sure beyond that.

26-Aug-19
That unit is OTC for archery

26-Aug-19
He probably drew a first season elk tag. I suggest you look at unit maps. 75 is very small unit, with everything south of Bayfield private, and most things north of Bayfield private. And the area you can hunt around Silverton is straight up and down. Most guys hunt this unit either with private property to hunt or to sneak into 76. You don't have much national forest to hunt in this unit.

26-Aug-19
Yes 75 is OTC either sex for archery. We hunted it a few years back. 'Time to have another look at that tag. I don't see an archery draw anywhere very near there (Durango)(66, 76)

26-Aug-19
Look for the elk crossing signs on the roads. Park there and head in.

^^^ this is a fail safe for a 350 bull guaronteed mang.

27-Aug-19
The tag is good for 751 too right? Its not a great tag. You'll find some area to hunt, and maybe see something- someone has too right? Having hunted a lot of other places, I'd never send in for this area.

27-Aug-19
Spent the weekend "deep" in 751. I have to say that I'm finding more and more credibility to the CPWs worries about elk numbers down here.

27-Aug-19
Elk numbers have been low in the sw for years. And the CPW don't care about them. I spent some time in the Dow office in Durango today, and the talk got to the high number of bowhunters we're seeing here. The Dow officers made several comments about the high numbers and lack of concern about it from Denver.

We've for twelve camps already in a four mile stretch in an area that used to have good elk numbers. Checking my bear ponds and guys are driving and bugling from the road. Friends are starting to understand why I'm tired of bowhunting for elk around here and would rather hunt the third season and see less hunters.

27-Aug-19
Buglmin -- man, that's depressing. It used to be the opposite, hunting archery was a way to get into good country with no people and good animal numbers. I'm considering picking the shittiest tags, in the shittiest places JUST to get away from the masses. Posts with GMU numbers don't help.

28-Aug-19
The Dow officers in Durango yesterday talked of how popular bowhunting has become and how many more will be here in 2020. We already have hunters here, been here since Sunday, camped out. 11 trailers in five miles in one area. Have no idea where they are getting water from.

28-Aug-19
Saw the same thing last night a cruise of some dirt roads to popular trail heads. Even the pullouts had "rigs".

29-Aug-19
So, what tag did you draw?

29-Aug-19
Just got back from running cameras. One spot has nine campers and one huge rv. Forest service better impose the laws this year about how long they can be in one place. These guys were there all month long last September and forest service did nothing.

30-Aug-19
They were citing "squatters" again in Pike NF - up on Rampart - this Summer. Enforcement seems to fall in line with the number of complaints. They apparently also imposed a (new) 2 week maximum (total) limit for the entire season in Pike. How well would THAT set elsewhere? ( Careful what you wish for). We've often spent 3-4 weeks of archery season in one NF - but only rarely entirely in the same area. A two week season limit would suck for us, but I suppose it's coming. Now that LE has plate recognition tech, it's probably just a matter of time...

• Sitka Gear