JohnMC 29-Aug-19
brunse 29-Aug-19
Boris 29-Aug-19
kscowboy 29-Aug-19
Ghost425 01-Sep-19
Turkey1 05-Sep-19
Surfbow 05-Sep-19
27-Aug-19
I am going on a fully guided elk hunt in Colorado this year, my first one ever. Is it expected to tip the guide? My guide is the owner of the guide service. And if so, how much is appropriate?

27-Aug-19
Yep. 5%-15% would be normal. If he is prepared, works hard and makes the trip enjoyable.

27-Aug-19
I've always done about 10% to the guide...deer, goose, pheasant and elk.

27-Aug-19
More the better in my humble opinion! :)

27-Aug-19
Chuck you headed back to Bear Mountain?

27-Aug-19
I'm there now opening camp an reopening trails. Fun stuff.

29-Aug-19
You said your guide was the owner of the guide service. In Colorado, that would make him an outfitter, not a guide. You are already paying him for a service.

It has always been my understanding that you tip the guide, not the outfitter. Think about it! When you go to a restaurant , do you tip the owner or do you tip the waitress?

29-Aug-19
If the owner is waiting on you that's who you tip. No different.

29-Aug-19
I tip the barber if he cuts my hair in the shop he owns.

29-Aug-19
Exactly. Me too, Even if he didn't have much of a head to start with!

29-Aug-19
I never tip my hair cutter. Costcutters employs awful cutters. I look at my head when they get done and feel like they should pay me. A haircut should take longer then 5 minutes.

29-Aug-19
At my last Fantastic Sam's cut I got a scalp and shoulder massage, hot neck shave and a great cut. I'm too old to believe it was flirting, so I assume she just liked doing a good job.

29-Aug-19
Whocares, Bear Mt. on Muddy Pass?

29-Aug-19
Yes, there now.

29-Aug-19
So I cut my own hair, my question is should I be tipping myself?

29-Aug-19
If they are making 100 a day. A seven day hunt they make 700. A 300-400 tip is certainly not unreasonable

29-Aug-19
I was told by an outfitter owner that he was already being paid. An even though he was my guide, I offered an he refused.

29-Aug-19
I had a guide and the outfitter helped out on a sheep hunt. The outfitter actually glassed-up the rams. If he sat back at camp, he wouldn't have got anything. However, he contributed to the hunt and it was a success. I gave my guide the lion's share of the tip but the outfitter got a respectable tip as a thank you and to show my appreciation for helping on the hunt.

01-Sep-19

Ghost425's embedded Photo
Ghost425's embedded Photo
If the Outfitter is also the guide then that’s who you tip. Tips are not mandatory but if you feel like your guide did a good job then customarily you show gratitude in monetary form. Good luck on your elk hunt and have fun. Mine is already over and I was just reminded of how much work packing is. I’m exhausted on a whole new level.

05-Sep-19
I will typically tip the owner if he does a really good job but even then it’s less than I would tip just a guide working for an outfitter.

Kinda like a waitress. The guides live off those tips. The owner lives off the business he owns. You’ve already paid him once. That’s just my thoughts on the subject. But like I said if the owner does a good job I typically tip him a little anyway.

05-Sep-19
Tip the guide, tip the packers, tip the cook...

• Sitka Gear