ground hunter 04-Sep-19
Tweed 04-Sep-19
ground hunter 04-Sep-19
Konk1 04-Sep-19
Heitz 04-Sep-19
Cntrylife 09-Sep-19
28-Aug-19

smokey's Link
Has anyone had experience with this brand of the heated vest? I am always looking for something to keep warm in the extreme cold or all-day sits in normal cold.

OK to bring up and discuss other items for the cold as well.

29-Aug-19
Looks interesting, might have to buy the vest.

29-Aug-19
Looks like nice stuff.... I know a guy who won, a heated Harley Davidson vest / jacket, he wore it for deer and ice fishing, and loves it

29-Aug-19
I thought I would like one of these so I wouldn't have to dress so bulky. I thought if you could dress lighter and have one of these on, you wouldn't sweat so bad and you could just turn it on and warm up. Then someone who has one said they do not work that way and they will not warm you if you get cold and you need to basically have them on all the time. Still, I keep thinking of getting one.

29-Aug-19
I'm curious as to how well it actually works. I have tried a few battery powered heated articles in the past few years, and they never seem to generate any noticeable heat.

29-Aug-19
I went with the Milwaukee brand vest because I already had some of their batteries and tools. When it comes to batteries, I prefer to stick with known brands, and have them be multi purpose.

As for usefulness, it's awesome. On high, gets hot enough to heat you up fast, and low is just right for holding your temp. Works for hours. Allows me to dress for walking, rather than bulking up for the sitting portions of my hunt.

29-Aug-19
I have a different brand vest - love it! Wear it as a layer for hunting and ice fishing. Have an extra battery for those cold days.

29-Aug-19
I’m weird I guess. My core never gets cold. It’s always my extremities. More so my arms and hands. Legs and feet are usually fine also.

03-Sep-19
DT, I am no expert, but I thought I have read somewhere that one of the reasons extremities get cold is due to the fact that your core is actually getting cold? Your body is conserving blood and warmth for your vitals by restricting bloodflow to extremities? I am right there with you, that my core never "feels" cold, but my damn feet suffer in single digits. I'm thinking I'm going to try to keep my core warmer this year to see if that helps.

03-Sep-19
That's correct. Your extremities get cold because your body recognizes you are getting cold and reduces blood flow to them in an effort to prevent damage to vital organs.

03-Sep-19
That's generally correct but not always

My feet have poor circulation. My hands will be just fine while my feet are blocks of ice. All my but vitals are good but for whatever reason my feet freeze unless they're moving.

03-Sep-19
Tweed - Same here, my feet suffer terribly.

03-Sep-19
A few years ago, Mike The Cheesehead or Cheesehead Mike or someone like that had a good warm foot program. Correctly if I get it wrong. A pair of Smartwool socks>disposable footwamers>anothe layer of Smartwool socks>Arctic Shield boot covers>Boot Blankets. All put on at the stand I believe. I have never had the chance to test this out but I have evrything listed.

03-Sep-19
You guys think I am nuts I could care less but what I do is put baking soda in my radar cap and cover me head with appropriate size freezer bag. to cut down my scent and cold

04-Sep-19
another tip I have, again its outside the box of thinking, but I use a under suit,, that is used by skin divers, to easily slip their wet suits over.... it keeps you cool and warm, and works great as an under garment

they sell for about 125.00 at most dive shops,,, I bought one years ago at Underwater Connection in Menomonee Falls and it has served me well

as for the really really cold weather, get a Heater Body Suit

04-Sep-19
Interesting about the dive suit.

I'm a big fan of baking soda during hunting season.

04-Sep-19
Tweed its a synthetic one piece suite, that breathes. Divers use them, so their wet suits slide on easily

04-Sep-19
"A few years ago, Mike The Cheesehead or Cheesehead Mike or someone like that had a good warm foot program. Correctly if I get it wrong. A pair of Smartwool socks>disposable footwamers>anothe layer of Smartwool socks>Arctic Shield boot covers>Boot Blankets. All put on at the stand I believe. I have never had the chance to test this out but I have evrything listed"

That's close to what I do, except I only use one pair of socks. The key is to put the boot covers on BEFORE your feet get cold.

04-Sep-19
Ever since I started spraying my feet with Right Guard unscented deodorant before putting on my socks, they seem to stay a little bit warmer on those colder days. I know that they do not sweat as much. Plus my wife doesn't go through the roof when I take my boots off after hunting. A win win.

09-Sep-19
My feet are a battle and I am going to try foot warmers this year. As for the hands I use hand warmers and thin gloves. I keep the hand warmers in my pockets and usually put my hands in for a few minutes to heat up on a regular basis. I missed a deer once because even with practice I failed to shoot well with bulky gloves.

• Sitka Gear