stillhunter 06-Sep-19
Glunt@work 06-Sep-19
Retired-11-2000 12-Sep-19
Retired-11-2000 12-Sep-19
OK Cowboy 13-Sep-19
01-Sep-19

Surfbow's embedded Photo
Surfbow's embedded Photo
Saw this nice gentleman telling folks how he "saw some of those magnificent animals at a rescue center" and that "everyone needs to fight to get them on the ballot and keep them from going EXTINCT"...folks were signing like crazy...expect it to be on the ballot

01-Sep-19
I don't just expect it to be on the ballot, I expect it to pass with a large majority.

01-Sep-19
This is a good reason why we will loose this issue. Sportsmen are not stepping up and educating the general public about the other side of the of wolves, diseases wolves carry, how they will prey on other wildlife and create an in-balance of other species, preying on livestock, who picks up the tab on wildlife, like hunters, articles in newspaper. etc, etc,

01-Sep-19
Oh, I do too Dirk. I had a conversation with him while my wife waited patiently, the only problem was there was no talking to the guy, he was firmly cuckoo over wolves and damn the biologists and CPW...

01-Sep-19
We gave the CPW extra money for "education". Why don't they put out a couple commercials to educate the public, like they did with the "hug-a-hunter/fisherman" campaign?

02-Sep-19
Excellent point seahorse!

02-Sep-19
check out. Stop The Wolf Coalition, com

The CBA donated $10,500 dollars. The Traditional Bow Hunting Society of Colorado donated $5000. I personally donated $100 as some of you did also, and I am the Larimer County Stop The Wolf coordinator/volunteer.

Stop the Wolf is asking everyone who hunts to donated at least $25. They have plans to move forward. my best, Paul

03-Sep-19
Why does the CPW not make comments??? Once a ballot initiative is accepted by the Sec of State, and is on file ie, this Introduce the gray wolf initiative which happens to be a game management issue, the CPW is under a "gag order" of sorts, not to address or make public comment on the initiative. Same thing happen to the Stop Spring Bear hunting initiative. Too bad indeed!

03-Sep-19
RDHunts, it isn't a matter of educating the public. They don't want to be educated! I am a member of several FB groups where wolves come up in discussions. Anytime the issue comes up, hunters are the "spawn if Satan" and should be crucified. It doesn't matter that wolves are making an amazing comeback across prior ranges and expanding into new, those folks still think the numbers are declining anf extinction is but a few years away, all thanks to hunters.

03-Sep-19
Fawn's first two sentences are spot on, and I'd bet my bow that the rest is equally true.

04-Sep-19
We have lost our spring bear hunt and leg hold trapping. They tried to ban bobcat hunting. Now it is reintroduction of the wolf. A ban on lion hunting could probably be next. After that, who knows what else will happen. And the antis have figured out that all they have to do is get an initiative on the ballot and all the golf dads and hockey moms in the big cities will most likely pass it.

So why doesn't the CBA and other hunting organizations ban together and create their own ballot initiative giving SOLE responsibility of ALL issues pertaining to wildlife management back to the CPW and the professionals who are trained to do it.

04-Sep-19
I agree, there needs to be a law that leaves wildlife management to trained professional and not the emotional whims of the public. Jason Blevins of the Colorado Sun Reports "Initiative 107 — directs the Colorado Parks and Wildlife Commission to develop a plan to restore and manage gray wolves in Colorado “using the best scientific data available” and “designed to resolve conflicts with persons engaged in ranching and farming.”

The proposed law requires hearings across the state to collect public input and says reintroduction will begin by the end of 2023. It also proposes paying ranchers for any livestock killed by wolves."

One problem I have is that the people voting for this proposal have zero skin in the game. The money for the restoration will come out of the CPW budget which is for the most part is funded by hunting license sales. The reintroduction of wolves will result in a significant reduction in elk and deer populations and overall hunting opportunity. With less hunting opportunity there will be fewer hunters and fewer hunting licenses sold and correspondingly less revenue for CPW. With fewer licenses sold CPW will have to cut staff and raise license fees which in turn will exert further price pressure on license sales resulting in further reduction in sales and revenue generation.

04-Sep-19
The pro wolf crowd has it pretty sweet being that anti hunters / gunners make up their base. Use our dollars against us on two fronts, hunting and guns. Then they'll turn to the taxpayers for funding of lawsuits to bastardize the introduction of the wolves.... no one can say they're stupid, they won't spend a dime of their own money.

05-Sep-19
It’s just disgusting to even think about. Screw the antis, tree huggers and wolf lovers. Yep, I said it. I usually hunt E16 herd which is already struggling. Matt the warden says only 30% of the calves are making it through the first year. They blame predators for the decline and archery hunters for pushing the herd around for a month straight and blame us for the the stress on the herd and decline in animals. Yet, a quota of one mountain lion in unit 47. The bears are going unchecked and every year we are seeing more of them and less elk. Even the wardens are upset that they’re spending to much time with nuisance bears. Still not bringing back Spring bear hunts, no baiting, no dog hunting, no management on mountain lions (thus the 1 lion quota) and now Ted Turner and his followers wanna reintroduce another apex predator to the equation. How upsetting.

06-Sep-19
I said this previously and I'll say it again....

'I would suggest that you (someone) begin preparing TV spots portraying the frightening / eerie effects the wolf will have on public camping, as well as showing the wolf killing fawns, calves, and adult animals. Otherwise you're going to have wolves in Colorado!'

I don't know who will do it, doesn't look like anyone is going to. We're just going to comment on this website and hope it doesn't happen. lol!

06-Sep-19
I have built a list of whats likely the best use of time and money for hunters when it comes to this issue facing us:

1. Build a long range rifle rig

2. Get a good set of warm snow camo

3. Learn to howl

12-Sep-19
Sad to see this coming. Sad for all the future hunters. I am 73, 74 next month. Got a few more years left in me.

12-Sep-19
Sad to see this coming. Sad for all the future hunters. I am 73, 74 next month. Got a few more years left in me.

13-Sep-19
About 15 years ago or so, we lived with a mating pair for about six months which was released along with 30 head of bison on 160 acres of rough timber (oklahoma school lease) with no access to water. The wolves were smart enough that lambs and calves were easier prey. They moved to town and started preying on pets. Good thing they didn't see a kid outside, because they feared nothing. A neighbor took care of them when they were shredding up a 600 pound steer. There is a reason wolves were wiped out, and these environmental freaks don't understand the big picture of why they were wiped out to begin with. BTW, the bison broke through fences, and the game manager signed over releases to neighboring farmers of the school lease before he resigned.

• Sitka Gear