CaptMike 02-Sep-19
Bow Crazy 03-Sep-19
Jeff in MN 03-Sep-19
Live2hunt 03-Sep-19
CaptMike 03-Sep-19
Mnhunter1980 03-Sep-19
Jeff in MN 03-Sep-19
01-Sep-19
Just curious if anyone here has been able to harvest a velvet buck in Wisconsin? What are the odds? Would you take a buck you'd normally pass just because it was in velvet?

01-Sep-19
Personally, I have never had the desire for a velvet buck. So no I wouldn't. But if it was a big enough buck for me to take hard horned, than I would.

01-Sep-19
No interest

01-Sep-19
No, if it's not mature it gets a pass. It would be cool though.

01-Sep-19
I shot one about 15-20 years ago. Bachelor group of three bucks came through opening weekend and I gave it the loose. Not a spectacular deer as he was a basket two year old, but it is a cool deer and he ate well. :)

01-Sep-19
I still harvest them every day, on the cams

02-Sep-19
Had 2 in range opening afternoon about 5/7 years ago. It wa my buddies first hunt and he screwed it up on a basket rack 8 pt. He went to draw back and hit his release on accident. Sent the arrow right into the ground.

I’d like to shoot one but it’s not a priority and it would still have to meet my self imposed limits.

02-Sep-19
I shot one last year during late muzzle loader. Just a little basket 8, didn’t even know he had velvet till I walked up to him. Turns out he had very small testicles compared to an average sized buck. Thinking there may be some correlation.

02-Sep-19
Turns out he had very small testicles compared to an average sized buck.

Albino buck by chance :). He probably couldn't jump well either :).

02-Sep-19
Came across a road kill 8 pointer in velvet many years ago. Got a road kill tag for it and still have it. Has some road rash on the velvet but still cool.

02-Sep-19
Happy, well played! Got a good chuckle from that.

03-Sep-19
My son's first bow buck was a velvet buck, shot opening day in Wisconsin. We had three hunters in the woods that morning, saw three different velvet bucks. 2015. I wasn't ready to take care of it properly, so I had to remove the velvet soon after. I made a European mount, it's rack is pure white like the skull. BC

03-Sep-19
BC, what needs to be done to take care of a velvet rack? I did nothing with the road kill I picked up many years ago and it still looks fine.

03-Sep-19
I have no interest in a velvet buck either. That being said, I did shoot a mule'y buck in full velvet in Colorado. But, that was because I had a tag, and he was there.

03-Sep-19
Jeff, much depends on how far along the horn hardening process is. Velvet with lots of blood in it must be treated or it can rot. If shot after the horn is hard but before the deer had a chance to rub, you may not have to do anything.

03-Sep-19
I’ve never seen one in Wisconsin or Minnesota while hunting but am hoping to get a shot at one this week in SD. I won’t pass up on a buck if it’s hard horned already.

03-Sep-19
CaptMike, That is probably the case with mine. The antlers do appear to be fully formed.

• Sitka Gear