skookumjt 04-Sep-19
Crusader dad 05-Sep-19
skookumjt 05-Sep-19
Crusader dad 05-Sep-19
skookumjt 05-Sep-19
Nocturnal 05-Sep-19
Crusader dad 06-Sep-19
04-Sep-19
I haven’t touched my bow since last season. It’s just hung on a nail in my garage. I last had the strings changed 3/4 years ago. Should I do it again? I usually just take it off the nail, oil it and shoot but I don’t want it to blow up on me. How often do you guys change your strings?

04-Sep-19
When it begins showing signs of wear. I change mine every 2-3 years generally, 60x custom strings is the company I use. I generally do it in the spring though so I have a summer of shooting before fall. It'll take 50-100 shots before our string really settles and you can actually tune it.

04-Sep-19
I never wait for a string to show signs of wear before changing...some wear occurs under the serving where it cannot be seen...usually routinely change it every two years or so...keep it well waxed...agree 100% with the 50-100 shot comment above...sometimes even go a bit longer than that, good advice.

04-Sep-19
I would change and get shooting! Swing by BKIII in Wind Lake. They do my strings every 2 years. And keep that bow indoors!

04-Sep-19
Good point casekiska on you can't see all the wear. I shot around 75 arrows on my last one before I could put my peep on and go through all the timing (which I enjoy). Essentially all I do is mark top/bottom string where cam hits as well as angle of the small string intersecting where your peep will go, once it doesn't move at all after a few shots, go ahead and set your bow up. If they just throw a new string on at the shop and immediately paper tune it you're likely going to have some stretch and have to re-do some of those items.

04-Sep-19
I change my string and cables every year. It's cheap insurance and I have the "old" set as perfectly good backups that are already shot in.

04-Sep-19
A good set of strings should be set before you start getting the tune dialed in. I haven't changed mine in a few years but it should be done at least every other year.

05-Sep-19
Good info, thank you. I hadn’t thought about this and I didn’t know just how often to have them changed. When I got the bow, I used the strings that where already on there for years. I’m going to get it in today. Should have it back and be shooting Saturday. I’ll make sure I get enough shots in to tune it properly before my hunt at the end of the month. I’m going to grab a fresh half dozen arrows too.

I really wish I had gotten a recurve when I had the chance this spring. I think it’s obvious that I’m not a “preparer”. I’m that guy that doesn’t start shooting until basically now.

05-Sep-19
A recurve requires much more dedication and practice. You can't just pick it up and go hunting. Most people can pick up their compound and be proficient with a little practice before season.

05-Sep-19
Skook, that’s the reason I don’t go get one now, if I had bought it this spring, I’d have had all summer to practice. Now it’s too late again.

05-Sep-19
My comment was in reference to your statement you aren't a preparer. If you aren't, odds are you won't shoot as often as is needed to be proficient. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, just the truth.

05-Sep-19
Be sure to wax your strings and dont leave your bow on a hook in the garage again. Shame shame shame, Shane! :)

06-Sep-19
Skook, you’re right...again. I do feel like if I’d bought one I’d have made the time to practice with it. My compound is like riding a bike so I don’t even think about it until this time of year.

Noc, it has its designated hook. Been storing it on that hook since I bought this house. I never thought it would be a problem because it’s not wood. I’m either upgrading my compound after the season or getting a recurve. I’ll take better care of the new one. And maybe try to be better prepared.

• Sitka Gear