Contributors to this thread:
Glunt@work 06-Sep-19
Dale06 06-Sep-19
elkmo 07-Sep-19
KHunter 07-Sep-19
Elkmo 12-Sep-19
Jims 13-Sep-19
06-Sep-19
The rack I got from a muley I shot is shedding it velvet in some places. There are patches that are coming off. If I want to just do a skull cap mount what would you guys recommend. Should I take it off or is there some fake velvet I can fix the patches? Any suggestions? Thanks!

06-Sep-19
If you haven't had the existing velvet preserved it will likely slip soon. If I cant get it to a taxidermist right away I strip it.

06-Sep-19
I’m guessing your best option is strip it off. Then leave as is, or have fake velvet installed, sprayed on. That can be pricey, I had it done on a very large caribou and it was around $500, eight years ago.

07-Sep-19
It's probably gone at this point, search Brian Peterson at Cedarcreek Taxidermy, Cedar Creek, Missouri.

07-Sep-19
suggest stripping and skipping the fake velvet. never looks all that great and expensive. you have the memories AND photos anyway.

07-Sep-19
Thanks for all of the info. If someone is interested I preserved last years velvet with acetone. I drenched the antlers in it a couple times and its holding up phenomenal. But with this one since it's already peeling I will probably just strip it off. Thanks guys!

12-Sep-19
We tried the injection stuff on bou in Canada years ago and it didn’t work for us

13-Sep-19
I'm not sure what the color of the antlers are under the velvet? They may be super white or dis-colored once velvet is removed. I often use steel wool to get rid of undesired velvet and use multiple colors of stains to bring life into antlers with semi-stripped velvet or sheds. It's not a quick and easy process if you are picky and want them to look natural.

• Sitka Gear