onX Maps
Thanks to the CBA
Colorado
Contributors to this thread:
AndyJ 07-Sep-19
Longcruise 07-Sep-19
07-Sep-19
Hi all,

I have made a few posts here and there on bowsite and hope to become more active. A few years ago I completed the BaB program through CBA with Paul Navarre who has become a hunting mentor. Paul and I went on a doe whitetail hunt a few years back as part of the program, and I just completed my first solo elk hunt this past week. While no animals were down, what an amazing experience, I am heading back out Wednesday to fill the tag although in a different area. I was in area 521 and logistically cannot make it back that way. This will be my last chance to fill my tag in Colorado as I am moving to Wisconsin in a few weeks to chase whitetails and walleyes! I thought I’d give a few takeaways from my hunting experience in hopes of sharing with others who may be headed out for the first time and experienced hunters who may offer some advice.

Research - Planning made this an enjoyable hunt, especially since I was with a friend from out of state. While we were in a unit with a high volume of hunters we were able to get into elk country and be on elk. Books recommended on Bowsite and from Paul were very helpful. I am a teacher so the ability to scout during the summer was helpful.

https://www.amazon.com/Public-Land-Hunting-Black-White/dp/1492176990/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=DIY+public+land+elk+hunting&qid=1567866820&s=gateway&sr=8-1

Being on sign everywhere, but not being able to locate elk. With a bit more time I think we would have sat on the wallows we found. With the exceptional heat the elk seemed to enjoy the water and higher elevations. We were camped at 10200 with elk as high as 11000. Certainly the area where I have the most space to fill, elk knowledge.

Hunting pressure - I knew this was a high hunter density unit, but the drones flying over on 8/30 illegally was enough for me. We backpacked in from our camp 2 miles to get away from people.

Even though it was exceptionally hot with hiking 6-8 miles a day gaiters would have been a good call.

Conditioning - I hike and run all summer, and had shoulder surgery 10 or so weeks ago. I now like the idea of training year round to be a successful hunter as my days of trying to workout in my mid 30’s as if I was in my mid 20’s are over

The list could go on, but I thought I would give some thoughts as to my first hunt while this is still fresh in my mind...and I am sitting here thinking of where I will head Wednesday.

Also a huge thanks to Paul and the CBA, while I am locating to Wisconsin, the CBA has turned me into a lifetime bow hunter.

07-Sep-19
Good luck with your next go round.

• Sitka Gear