cnelk 09-Sep-19
Dale06 14-Sep-19
Matte 14-Sep-19
yooper89 15-Sep-19
Winded 15-Sep-19
Dale06 15-Sep-19
Glunt@work 15-Sep-19
09-Sep-19
I was talking with a CO old timer a couple days ago about my upcoming hunt this week outside Meeker and he said the rut should start the first full moon in Sept which I believe is this Thursday. Thoughts? I was just out this weekend for the opener in Montana and got into a bunch of elk with lots of buggling, coming in to cow calls and some fighting but still saw bulls grazing so it still feels like pre-rut.

09-Sep-19
Sorry, I meant rut starting THIS week...

09-Sep-19
Regardless if see or hear it, or not, the Peak of the Rut, (when most cows are bred) usually falls around the 5-10 days of the September Fall Equinox of Sept 22 or 23 rd. So it may start in some areas, as soon as Sept 13th or as late as Sept 26. This can vary from state to state and area to area, in some cases. Data from a Montana study.

09-Sep-19
Appreciate the reply, Paul, that's really interesting data.

09-Sep-19
There are two times for the rut. Just stop in any elk camp and ask. Its either last week (just missed it) or next week (dang, too early). Camps can be next to each other and give either answer and you can ask during any week of the season :^)

09-Sep-19
Hi ITNIC there is a wildfire close Meeker that started last week by lightning. Double check your area before you head out.

09-Sep-19
Do you think the last weekend of archery season will be good rut wise. I'm just thinking if it's worth driving out 6 hours to hunt the last weekend of archery season.

09-Sep-19
TCO I think Jaq just answered your question. IMHO if you have a tag in your pocket, then get in the woods. The later in Sept. it gets, the more rut activity you’ll see. This is what we wait for all year. I can tell you this, if you don’t make that 6 hour drive, then you definitely won’t kill an elk. Any time you get to spend with Mother Nature, sucking in fresh air in the Rocky Mountains while persuing one of God’s most magnificent creatures makes it “worth the drive out” in my book, harvesting an elk is icing on the cake.

09-Sep-19
Last week?????????? Hell yes, how many time over the past years did we say, "If only I had a few more day to hunt." Now you have a few more days. Go go go go

09-Sep-19
9:27AM on Thursday!

09-Sep-19
The rut started and ended last Friday morning at 715am when I bugled a bugling bull in from 300yds.

He came into the opening and walked to me and bugled once more before my arrow entered his chest at 25yds

Go early. Go often.

14-Sep-19
Guide bugled one in to 44 yards for me. I double lunged it and it was lights out for that 5x5 in about 10 seconds. Four of us hunted six days in southern colo, actually bordering New Mexico. Bugling was very sparse from Sept 8 through the 13 th.

14-Sep-19
Congrats Dale!

15-Sep-19
Had no bugling this weekend. Called one nice 5pt into about 20 yards. Never made a noise, and we ended up scaring the chit out of each other.

15-Sep-19
sounds like Glunt@work has this rut thing figured out pretty accurately.

15-Sep-19
Thanks Matte.

15-Sep-19

Glunt@work's embedded Photo
Glunt@work's embedded Photo
Strange year in my spot. I did not see or hear an elk this weekend. So, I can confirm that the elk, sasquatch and unicorns may or may not be rutting. When I find one, I will report back. I did find a pretty nice moose and got to watch a different small bull moose with a cow and calf grunting steady for quite awhile. The cow didn't seem to be buying what he was selling.

• Sitka Gear