MT Livin' 17-Sep-19
JL 17-Sep-19
hoyt-6190 18-Sep-19
BigOzzie 18-Sep-19
Deflatem 18-Sep-19
plenty coups 02-Oct-19
Montana Scrub 02-Oct-19
13-Sep-19
I'll be doing an antelope hunt down by Broadus in October. When I was there last October the weather was nice, a little gumbo on the back trails which we did not drive down. A question came up within the group about the need for tire chains. Does anyone use tire chains for the gumbo? Thanks....

13-Sep-19
Ive used them for gumbo, one came loose and wrapped around the axle and ended up putting a pin size hole in my brake line. I just dont think tire chains are necessary to hunt that Broadus country.

13-Sep-19
We were able to drive most of the roads last year...just a few obvious wet ones we avoided. They got alot of rain the last few days and are forecast to dry out for the next 10 days.

13-Sep-19
Just remember those with chains, they can be benefical at times but you can also get twice as stuck. I'd only use them as a last resort and they will more than likely tear up the road a bit more.

17-Sep-19
what hoyt said, in the gumbo not much can help but a Sherman tank, and they might get stuck...

17-Sep-19
From what we little bit we drove thru last year.... anything with all-weather or mild offroad tires, which is likely most vehicles, wouldn't stand a prayer in the gumbo. I would think aggressive, self-cleaning off road tires should do a little better. I had some Denman Ground Hawgs on the truck when I was growing up in Florida going thru the mud and those things could pull and clean.

18-Sep-19
Realistically up to you on chains or off road tires. Just remember if its that wet its best just to wait a little bit instead of having to tear the **** out of the roads. Some of these areas if they see any road maintenance at all only get seen one or two times a year by the blade. So your ruts your gonna make might make miserable travel for those who come after you.

18-Sep-19
Never tied chains in gumbo, but don't think I would, I've seen gumbo stick to the tire so bad it filled up the wheel well. I think gumbo would just stick to the chains, my GUESS is they would not be helpful.

oz

18-Sep-19
Chains just give the gumbo more to stick to. Just have to be patient and let it dry up. If its that wet. stay on the gravel.

02-Oct-19
All chains do is pick up more gumbo mud and hold it tight. Put em on and in 100 yards they will be PACKED with it and just as slick as a bald tire. Best to let the road dry out some or it may be a difficult walk. (walking out to get help in gumbo is a chore as it sticks to your boots just as bad)

02-Oct-19
One guy I know used cut up 2x4s and bungi cords to make paddles for his rears. I don't know if he ever used them on his trip but food for thought. When it doubt bring some muck Boots and walk. Guys have literally started there rigs on fire getting stuck and caking the trucks undercarriage to the point it trapped all the heat in.

• Sitka Gear