Kevin Dill 27-Sep-19
Saphead 27-Sep-19
Kevin Dill 27-Sep-19
3arrows 28-Sep-19
Thunderflight 02-Oct-19
Kevin Dill 03-Oct-19
DonVathome 01-Nov-19
24-Sep-19
https://thecourier.com/life/life-extra/2019/03/06/could-elk-be-coming-back-to-ohio

24-Sep-19
That would be awesome! PA and many other states have successfully re introduced them!

24-Sep-19
Doubt if it really happens successfully, it takes miles and miles of a HUGE area to sustain elk naturally without high fences... PA and KY have these types of areas, Ohio does not, even the Waynes are not big enough, they're even broke up...

26-Sep-19
I agree with Zbone, just not any areas big enough for elk.

27-Sep-19
I don't especially care if they're introduced or not. Such a herd would be small enough to be a novelty in a state like ours. ODNR would probably be better off to spend the reintroduction and management funds (necessary for elk) on improving public land deer hunting available to thousands of Ohio hunters.

27-Sep-19
Even tho the Whitetail is King in Ohio I think it's gonna happen. No DNR wants to feel left out. Ohio is surrounded by Elk. Should have done it 10 years ago. Lots of money to be made on application draw fees. I used to think they needed Huge areas Z but I have learned that Elk don't travel as much as many think, me included if they have what they need. Yeah there will be 1 hit by a car someday. Same as a loose horse. I guess we will see soon....

27-Sep-19
One thing I believe any elk introduction effort would need to understand is the power of the agriculture industry in Ohio. Agriculture and farming remain the largest economic group in the state by far. The ODNR deer management plan clearly states that deer are primarily managed to accommodate the needs of agriculture...first and foremost. After that comes other concerns like hunting, the insurance industry, etc.

You can be sure the OFB and plenty of other ag-related groups would have a voice in seeing that elk (if they ever reappear here) do not exist at the unnecessary expense of farmers, landowners and the rural population. I personally have no knowledge of whether elk can be managed to remain solely on public land in Ohio, but as a farm owner I would only want them where they wouldn't cause additional financial stress or headaches for farmers or landowners....southeast or eastern Ohio public lands only.

Make them wear safety vests and teach them to stay off the roads!

28-Sep-19

02-Oct-19
If they ever did reintroduce them most of us will have died of old age before the first hunting season.

03-Oct-19
Right. If the ODNR was smart they'd start selling preference points now and make enough money to finance the elk herd. 10-15 years should be about right.

01-Nov-19
haha so true! I would LOVE to see them here! Then again I love to see elk anywhere except in my headlights

• Sitka Gear