hawkeye in PA 02-Oct-19
Rut Nut 02-Oct-19
RC 03-Oct-19
Jeff Durnell 03-Oct-19
horsethief51 03-Oct-19
horsethief51 03-Oct-19
RC 04-Oct-19
01-Oct-19
I'm sure many of you have noticed especially during the rut the hairless patches on a buck back, some the size of your fist or sometimes bigger. I asked the PSGC about this and the answer they gave with the buck consistently was going under a barb wire fence. Well, that could be possible, but I've seen this many times and in areas where there wasn't a fence within 5 miles. Anyone have any knowledge of how these patches occur?

01-Oct-19
I always assumed it was from a fight with another buck. Or from an arrant arrow.

01-Oct-19
Fences

01-Oct-19
I shot a nice 8pt that had a big bald spot on his back. My taxidermist had to use a skin from another deer for the shoulder mount because of it. This buck was seen many times crawling under a split rail fence at an apple orchard during the summer. From what I was told, they would rather crawl under stuff than jump over it and catch soft and tender antlers on branches.

01-Oct-19
they would rather crawl under stuff than jump over it

Just like you hey Spider?:)

01-Oct-19
LOL

01-Oct-19
Now, that’s a LOW BLOW Roy! ;-)

02-Oct-19
Yup, Perry. Spider can't wear boots cause he can't see out over the top of em:)

Phil, where did the cat picture go?:)

02-Oct-19
Oh geez! You keep this up you might get a visitor............................................. ;-)

02-Oct-19
Watch what ya say Rut.

02-Oct-19
I AM hawkeye! I ice-fish with Spider and I don’t want to end up “sleeping with the fishes!” ;-)

03-Oct-19
My freezer is stocked with ice cubes:)

03-Oct-19
Hi Spider, nice to 'see ya ' again.

Any tiny bit of injury or infection, even just from a single poke of fence, antler tine, bite mark, tick, a stick-poke, and yep, a supposed 'harmless' broadhead to the shoulder, can cause the hair to fall out around the spot. If it isn't too serious of a wound, and/or the immune system can win over the infection, it'll heal and the hair will grow back. It might be slightly off color afterwards, but it'll grow back. If the immune system loses, full systemic infection and death can be the result, which may take several months, even when the bald spot at its worst is only golf ball size, and the critter appears otherwise healthy... until near it's end.

03-Oct-19
I have a (couple of) trail cam pics of a doe recently with a dark line the full length of the left side of her body, midway up, about an inch wide. I cannot explain it.

03-Oct-19
I am wondering if there is any photographic evidence of a hairless patch on the back of my head.

04-Oct-19
Lord, don't let me type anything bad here, cause Phil will delete it anyway:)

LMFAO

• Sitka Gear