Contributors to this thread:
hancockcountyIL 08-Oct-19
awh302 08-Oct-19
jstephens61 08-Oct-19
Dusktildawn 08-Oct-19
jpinkerton 08-Oct-19
hancockcountyIL 09-Oct-19
08-Oct-19
Just want to throw this question out to everyone. I live in northern Illinois, and, with the wet spring and wet fall, I'm guessing crops will be up very late this year. What are your thoughts on whether hunting is better or worse while the harvest is taking place? My initial thought is that less standing crops=less cover and thus more deer movement. Friends of mine suggest that the noise and movement caused by the machinery used in the harvest equals more pressure on deer and they lock down. Thoughts? Thanks in advance and good luck!

08-Oct-19
Crops can work for or against you. Late season hunting can be phenomenal with crops still standing. However early season or the rut may be tough because it gives the deer more room to hide.

08-Oct-19
Things are pretty much on schedule in my part of Illinois.

08-Oct-19
Hunted Central Illinois this weekend and farmers are picking beans fast and furious. Most corn is still untouched. Very dry down there. Creeks on land I hunt are all bone dry and ponds are down a foot. As far as combines scaring deer into lockdown? I have shot several deer within 1 hour of fields being combined. Deer love the spillage and missed corn/beans. Good luck

08-Oct-19
St Clair county has the corn coming down like crazy.

09-Oct-19
Thank you all for your advice. Good luck!

• Sitka Gear