bill v 16-Oct-19
RC 16-Oct-19
bill v 16-Oct-19
Teeton 16-Oct-19
Justgrad25 17-Oct-19
Rut Nut 17-Oct-19
bill v 17-Oct-19
13-Oct-19
Hello all, 2019 notes from the swamp -semi live- Made it to MD for this year’s Sika Hunt. This hunt is only 2 1/2 days and will go quick. I will try to post from the trees, we’ll see how that goes. We were back in the refuge today to set a couple stands, I’ve never seen the water so deep. It’s 2 feet deeper the the last time I was here(2015). I got soaked and had to purchase waders to hunt tomorrow. We are staying in a home right next to Taylor’s island bridge. I will post tomorrow when we get started

Bill v

13-Oct-19
Love reading these things Bill. Good luck.

14-Oct-19
In stand I call the wallow stand in the wallow wood. It’s hard to call this woods though, this usually dry patch that runs out into the swamp is a foot or 2 underwater. We will see how this goes My hunting partner for these few days is Jody M. He wanted to hunt dry woods if possible. We did find a patch that is somewhat dry. We’ll see how that goes too

Just have one whistle out in front of me as I was writing this

14-Oct-19
Good luck, Bill! Go get em' buddy! :)

14-Oct-19

bill v's embedded Photo
bill v's embedded Photo
Here’s a photo of the normally dry wallow wood If it goes through

14-Oct-19
Hey Bill, following along from MA. Good luck down there.

14-Oct-19
Hey BC. Heard Frank connected on a brown bear

14-Oct-19
I’ve never seen the water so high down here. Been hunting this area since the 80s. A local told me yesterday that they had a super tide 2 days ago and that it is receding.

14-Oct-19
I know they like water, but will this cause them to seek out some higher ground. So their just not in water for days???? You Guys have a great time. Post lot of pic's.. Ed

14-Oct-19
Dang! That would make it interesting with a climber! ;-)

Good luck Bill!

14-Oct-19
Well, I was second guessing myself this morning as to stand set up. (Ed, the wallow stand). Well about 10 am I heard one coming in the water, the second biggest stag I’ve ever seen down here He was cruising on my right side and just couldn’t drop him. Yikes!

14-Oct-19
Jody saw nothing. Heard 2 whistlers and I heard 9 I just got back in stand for the evening hunt. Went out to Jody’s stand for lunch and a nap. While we were sitting there. We had 2 bald eagles fly by at less then 20 yrds. One flew done into the water at 35. Pretty cool ah!

14-Oct-19

bill v's embedded Photo
bill v's embedded Photo
Saw 2 snakes Rut. One water moccasin and a big black snake Took this pic of a colorful frog

14-Oct-19

bill v's embedded Photo
bill v's embedded Photo
Here’s my view looking west

14-Oct-19
Well how many?? :)

14-Oct-19
DANG! I didn’t know water moccasins were that far North! Do they make snakeproof waders???

14-Oct-19
Rut,, not everyone is afraid of snakes or almost died from one... :)

14-Oct-19
Non tonight. Only heard 3 whistles. Will try again in the morning

15-Oct-19
It’s 4:30 am. Ready to do it again. It took 2 hrs yesterday from cabin to stand for me. We’re leaving earlier today

Hope I se that stag again but chances are slim. Maybe another

2 days in the swamp and it’s making it hard on us already. Guess we’re getting older

15-Oct-19
Ya need a kayak, Bill:)

15-Oct-19
Good morning RC. I’ve heard 8 whistlers already

Water is going down slow. It’s down 1 or2 inches overnight

15-Oct-19
It’s 8:47. Have not seen any, have heard 13 whistlers so far. Make that 14.

15-Oct-19

bill v's embedded Photo
bill v's embedded Photo
My view to the south

15-Oct-19
Some hunt details:

We’re hunting in Dorchester county MD. 20 miles behind Cambridge ( on rt 50). We’re in the black water national wildlife refuge. Most of this never gets hunted. $20 for an archery permit and $155 for MD license I started hunting this area at least 30 yrs ago with Tom Fleming. This refuge was commissioned for waterfowl. There is also a large population of bald eagles here.

15-Oct-19
What area are you in? We hunted R in the morning and M in the evening on Saturday by boat, but with the high water we wished we would have hunted more in the woods. We had some action, but no kills. There wasn't a lot of bugling, but it sounds like it is getting a little better! Good luck!

15-Oct-19
Matt. I’m in M1. As deep as it is. Most of the whistles are out in the marsh. We’re you in m1 or m2?

15-Oct-19
The pics I showed are the woods. Everything is flooded

15-Oct-19
I was in M1, the whistles we heard were in the marsh also. They are tough little things to figure out, but hunting them is addicting. When you do see them there seems to be little rhyme or reason to it and they always seem to be in thick stuff and never stand still, at least for me. They aren't whitetails, but I love hearing the swamp come alive every morning!

15-Oct-19
How are the mosquitoes, I was alright in the morning, but I knocked my Thermacell out of the tree and it got wet, the evening was pretty bad!

15-Oct-19
Are you here now?

Through everything you know about Whitetail’s out

Find young short frag in the marsh and hunt there. Look for young frag being nibbled and you should find dropping there, floating.

Woods, it took me years to find , ok woods spots. Mainly ok because of private prop feeding. Woods for the most part can be a waste of time

15-Oct-19
Haven’t used the thermacell until this morning

If you can find islands with that boat. Hunt them

15-Oct-19
These are one of the toughest and hardest to kill and recover animals anywhere. YOU Will Lose Some!

15-Oct-19

bill v's embedded Photo
bill v's embedded Photo
Here a pic from same spot a few year’s ago. No water

15-Oct-19
No, we just hunted Saturday. Thanks for the tips!

15-Oct-19
They don’t stand for pics like that often. I had already used my tag when that 4 pt stood there for 15 min

15-Oct-19
It’s 10:29. Still in stand. Have heard 19 now. Some not far away but no sightings

15-Oct-19
Just getting settled in for the afternoon sit. We moved Jody’s stand from the woods to the edge of the frag Had a guy that went by our lunch area going the wrong way came back 2 hrs later dying of thirst. He was lost, said he fell asleep, I gave him water. You know when someone ask for water on they’re way out, they’re in trouble.

15-Oct-19

bill v's embedded Photo
bill v's embedded Photo
Here’s one for you shroomers

15-Oct-19
Hind down!

15-Oct-19

bill v's embedded Photo
bill v's embedded Photo

15-Oct-19
Congrats, Bill

15-Oct-19
Nice!!

15-Oct-19
Way to go, Bill!! Congratulations, bud....you earned that one!!

15-Oct-19
Congratulations!

15-Oct-19
Way to go Bill.

15-Oct-19
Nice.

16-Oct-19
Heading in now. A little late. We are only hunting a couple hrs and pulling out

Last nights hind: lots of whistles. A bunch in marsh in front of me. Not far. The came out about 70 yds in front of me. Eventually walking in. Shot was 22 yds. She is 35 lbs. no spots, no copper and white stripes. Just a brownie

16-Oct-19
Congrats Bill! I'd feel right at home hunting them little things...................................... ;-)

16-Oct-19
Rut - I see you beat RC to it. LOL

16-Oct-19
Yep- 'ol Roy musta slept in this morning! ;-)

16-Oct-19
Back home. We had a good but short hunt. the water was receeding today and the area should be back to normal in about a week after the Super Tide. Heard a bunch of whistlers this morning , quite a few not far away. I had one walking through at pretty close range, maybe 80 yds, thought for sure I would see it but never did. Jody, saw nothing this morning either, the stags were whistling pretty close to him but b had no sightings. We started pulling out around 9am and it took us until 11:45 to get out of the Refuge. Thanks for joining in guys and for the congrats!

This is a hunt that all of you guys should do, its cheap and close. Go hunt the swamps! Bill V

16-Oct-19
Hey.....

16-Oct-19

bill v's embedded Photo
bill v's embedded Photo
I fell in the swamp with 30 yds Togo before getting back on solid ground of an old 2 track. Went to my knees, thanks for wader I did not get wet. After getting on to solid ground I run into this guy(pic) in the center of the trail. He was defending the trail.

16-Oct-19
Billy, that guy would of cut u to pieces. :)

17-Oct-19
Need to get you a sack of those, some taters, onions and corn on the cob and have yourself a crawfish boil!

17-Oct-19
LOL! : )

17-Oct-19
Those eyes are mean!!!

• Sitka Gear