Roger Norris 29-Oct-19
ground hunter 29-Oct-19
Roger Norris 30-Oct-19
ground hunter 31-Oct-19
happygolucky 31-Oct-19
ground hunter 05-Nov-19
Solocala 22-Nov-19
18-Oct-19
Newer to bow hunting have been shooting fixed blades for 2 years but I was wondering if I could get away with shooting a 3 blade mechanical at 65lb with a 28” draw length?

18-Oct-19
I have only used fixed blades until recently. A couple years ago, I killed a bear with my SlickTrick and got a terrible blood trail. Three of us worked very hard to find 1st blood (took 45 minutes and it was a tiny drop) and to track it. The shot was a double lung shot and not high and the bear died within 50 yards. Wish I had the death cry. I had paid a guide to bait for us. Another guy at his camp killed a bear with a 3blade Grim Reaper and the guide said a blind man could follow the trail. I talked to the shooter and he praised these blades up and down.

My land in the UP is very wet and very dense swamp for the most part. Tracking deer has proven to be a hope and a prayer for the most part when the deer jump into the thick stuff although we are 100% (all of my son's kills). Last year, I switched my son and I to the Grim Reapers. My son shot a buck at around 17 yards and did not get a pass-through. The arrow did break out the far side though. I felt he should have gotten a pass-through and attributed it to his bow poundage (around 50) and 28"draw length. The blood trail was amazing though and exactly what we wanted for our land. I have switched him to a Rage Hypodermic Trypan for this year which is a 2blade and rear-deploying versus the 3blade and front deploying. His poundage did go up some this year but this blade should be better for his set-up nonetheless.

Last weekend I flung my first arrow on my land in my 5 years of owning it (by choice). I promised my daughter I'd fling one this year. I shot a big doe at 19 yards with the Grim Reaper and got a pass-through. She was in a food plot and never made it to the woods after around a 50 yard run. I watched her crash. I saw the blood pouring out and it was everywhere. I shoot 60# (dropped due to shoulder pain) at 29".

So, in conclusion, I doubt you'd have any issues at 65# and a 28" draw.

And yes everyone, I understand the theory that mechanicals can fail. My son and I are shooting them due to our crappy land. We're willing to take the chance for better blood trails. So far, we're 2-2 and they have worked as I hoped. We limit our distance and shooting angles regardless of our BHs.

18-Oct-19
Thanks man I really appreciate the feedback! Just left about an hour ago we have property in Oceola County, congrats on the doe! ????

20-Oct-19
I use rage 2 blade. I've had pass through on two bears both piled up in 20-30 yards. I've shot two does one made it 20 the other 40. Huge blood trails. But again at 70lbs and 29 inch draw with rage extreme. I used fixed before but I sold on two blade mechanical.

22-Oct-19
I am a big fan of mechanicals, with the right set up. For the record, I do not shoot them, since I do not shoot the weight needed. However, working in camps, and doing the recovery and skinning etc, I can assure you they do the job..... as always its about shot placement, but they open bears up like a can opener

65lbs is plenty of weight to shoot them, but now what makes the mechanical work is the right arrow,,,, I like heavy fmj shafts 5mm or 6mm. with that weight you have the a shaft back bone, no issues..........

I have seen Rage, Spitfires, rockets etc all work well.................... I shoot zwickeys, but I shoot a 41lb long bow, or a 46 pound compound, so they do not work for me

You will be just fine, just do not use a light arrow, like you see on TV, where penetration is poor.................. good luck

23-Oct-19
Thanks for all the input guys definitely gonna do some more research and decide which Broadhead to try out next season ????

29-Oct-19
Mechanical broadheads have certainly come a long way. Back in the 80's, a company approached me and asked that I put their new mechanical head though some basic durability testing. The first step was shooting them in some simple foam targets. all of the samples provided broke on shot #1.

I am not blind....obviously guys have good success with todays modern mechanicals. But as a traditional bow hunter, I have no use for them. I would further suggest....why introduce one more element that can fail....especially at that critical point.

29-Oct-19
well roger their is a counter point to that in a way,,, I also shoot stick, but I remember when the Muzzy came out,,,,, it was from a long bow shooter, looking for a better head,,, so it is of course a replaceable blade, which the old trad guys did not like, but in a lot of ways, it was a great head.........

so now in the compound world, with the right speed and weight, I hate to say this but the mechs are deadly for sure,,,, I like them in the bear camps I have worked at,,,,,

stay well brother

30-Oct-19
I know they have come a long way, and the quality heads have great success in the right application.

I am still wary of moving cutting edge vs fixed cutting edge.

I know that many folks will tell you that crossbows "can only be shot with mechanical heads" (I still hate crossbows). But I know a fellow who wanted to use the X-bow but has great disdain for mechanical heads. He has taken the time to create bolts with 5 inch helical feathers and using Wensel Woodsman heads.

Point being...the crutch of mechanical heads (tuning) is easily overcome with some effort. And the strength of fixed vs mechanical seems hardly disputable.

31-Oct-19
My friend had to go to a xbow..... I suggested the Magnus Head, and he got the stinger, and it works great,,,,,,,, lot of power pushing that head............. just a plain jane Wal Mart carbon express bolt, and a light noc,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

31-Oct-19
My son and I are now 3 for 3 with mechanicals and are using them for the reasons stated above. We are taking the risks associated with them for the far superior blood trails one gets on average with them. It really paid off on my son's doe this year which ducked right into the dense buckthorn/cedars swamp that was very hard to traverse.

05-Nov-19
Another thing I learned so far this year..... I had to lower my bow weight, to 45 pounds on my compound. Hoyt Carbon Spyder,,,,, it was well tuned at the shop.... I now found that for the first time, bh's would not all fly the same, seemed more sensitive, when the poundage came down......

A shot a rage broadhead, and the flight and accuracy, was superior to all the coc heads I shot, but of course, I am leary of the rage.............. I have made one kill this year with the ram cat, that also flies well..............................

I shot other mechs that did not shoot well...... I also shot better with the Easton axis, than my older fmj's. but the Easton axis, is a cheaper arrow in my opinion. The CE shoots well, if I go to a lighter arrow, mine are too heavy for what I shoot now

Going to try that rage head...............

22-Nov-19

Solocala's embedded Photo
Solocala's embedded Photo
I've used the rage two blade mechanical for about 10 years now and have taken quite a few deer with them. I've heard about deflection issues...or them opening in flight, but I haven't had any issues. I've had great blood trails and some not so great ones...but it wasn't because of the broadhead. One thing I like about them is that on average, most drop within sight. Now getting them to run toward the truck is another thing. This is what the rage did to a deer I shot on 10 Nov.

• Sitka Gear