Refund 26-Oct-19
kakiat kid 26-Oct-19
Mint 05-Nov-19
Rjtfd 09-Dec-19
NYCArcher 15-Dec-19
Refund 07-Jan-20
20-Oct-19
Hey all,

I'm from Staten Island, trying to find a place close enough for a day trip. I'm relatively new to bow hunting and I'm still trying to get my bearings.

I recently took a trip up to Sterling and walked around for about four hours. I probably covered about 3.5-4 miles and I was able to find some rubs; some old, some new and a bed or two. Most of the places I scouted seemed like they would be rough to access with a climber and seem like a nightmare to get a deer out of--most of it was steep and pretty rocky. With the amount of sign that I found, it didn't make it seem worth the hassle. There were a few other spots that I wanted to scout but finding access as well as finding time was an issue.

I was thinking about checking out Stewart but from what I've read it's stocked with Ringnecks and there are a lot of wing shooters that go. Also, parking seems like it may be an issue. Is it accurate that the majority of spots only have room for one or two vehicles? That sounds like it can be an issue when you have a particular spot that you want to hunt. The topo and satellite gives me the impression that Stewart is much more accessible in comparison to Sterling. Although, if there are a lot of bird hunters around the area shooting shotguns and running dogs I can't help but doubt that deer would want to hang around the place.

I guess New Jersey is always a viable option as well but it's a much more expensive option for a non-resident.

If somebody is familiar with the area and wouldn't mind pointing me towards some land that isn't over run with hikers, mountain bikers, bird hunters, etc. I'd appreciate the help.

If anybody is local and is in the same boat as me or just wants somebody to hunt and/or scout with I'd be more than happy to provide some company!

21-Oct-19
Google the NYC DEP property. I have not hunted it but it might be worth checking out.

26-Oct-19
Look into West Point...the military academy. They allow hunting in their grounds...not sure of the system but i do know a few guys who hunt it. There is also Black Rock hunt club a few miles passed that. Year round club, shooting ranges, ponds, and loats of land to hunt.

26-Oct-19
Lots of the DEP properties are pretty small parcels. I've checked a few of the larger ones out with little success, I still have a few on my list to check out.

Does that interactive map on the DEC website actually work for anybody? I can never access it.

I actually stayed at the hotel at West Point not long ago and inquired about that. Apparently they stock pheasant there too, probably another place that may be worth checking out though if I can find a chance.

26-Oct-19
I know at one time, during the fire arms season you were required to take a doe before you could tag a buck. Im not sure if that is still the same, nor what their archery regulations are . i believe you go early and hit an administration building. They give you the options of where to hunt based on who has gotten their before you...again Im not 100% sure.

As for the Point, its a beautiful, beautiful place. The grounds, the museum, the Hotel Thayer and the history....

05-Nov-19
Try Cranberry Mountain WMA and the DEP properties. Don't be fooled by the size of some of those properties, they have some nice deer coming through.

09-Dec-19
Hi Refund, From SI also and have hunted Stewart many years ago. Wasn’t bad from what I remember with parking. But you are kind of limited to an area. I have a friend who hunts Sterling and is pretty successful but not easy by any means. The WMAs in NJ are pretty good early season before pressure puts deer nocturnal. Only problem for us is NJ gets very expensive with all the different permits and zones. Kind of rediculous that if you cross the street it’s a different zone and another $28. Plus need tag for a buck $28 and there are three different seasons (Fall bow, permit bow, winter bow). Fall and Winter fall under one .

15-Dec-19
Hi Refund,

I'm Missourian living in Manhattan and spent the last year getting back into bow hunting after a 10 year hiatus. Similar to you, I spent some time earlier this year scouting public properties (focused on Dutchess and Putnam primarily), found some OK sign in spots, but was hesitant about getting a deer out with the steep terrain and the number of stands I was bumping into.

Have you considered getting a group together and looking for a lease?

07-Jan-20
I've considered a club in NJ, not a lease.. I don't have the cash for that.

• Sitka Gear