FrigidArrows 07-Nov-19
Mnhunter1980 07-Nov-19
Whocares 07-Nov-19
12yards 12-Nov-19
Tonybear61 18-Nov-19
RD 19-Nov-19
Grubby 19-Nov-19
25-Oct-19
This forum is a waste of space and about as boring as the Vikings game last night.

I know that didn't offend anyone because NOBODY is here! :)

25-Oct-19
LOL! I'm very offended BTW!

25-Oct-19
That said, it is always pretty slow in here I agree.

25-Oct-19
WOW, a real live person! Thanks 12yards for joining in. I think the Minnesota forum reflects reality...as in A LOT of guys from Minnesota hop the border and go to the Wisconsin forum. (Even though it's got a few whack-jobs...or maybe the same guy with multiple names, ain't figured that out yet!)

Anyway, boss says I can go hunting FINALLY, so look out woods here I come!

26-Oct-19
Maybe we could sneak back over here ,invite a few of the good guys from wi forum and actually have a normal conversation. Split personalities from wi are getting weirder by the day.

Bucks are cruising! Good luck

27-Oct-19
Sometimes I'll take this over a bunch of guys arguing over some worthless topic.

27-Oct-19
Agree, very few using MN site.

27-Oct-19
Hopefully it means less hunting pressure out there

27-Oct-19
Hey there’s some life here!! How’s hunting been?? I’ve seen a couple decent bucks this week and a few smaller ones.

28-Oct-19
I've only been out twice but I got lucky my 2nd time out and shot a small 8 point with my bow. Hoping to get out again soon to fill my bonus tag.

28-Oct-19

South Farm's embedded Photo
South Farm's embedded Photo
Shot this spike in Wisconsin this weekend. Probably get flamed for shooting somebody's potential booner, but I don't care. Anyway, they were moving all day even in that WIND!

28-Oct-19
Congrats south farm! I’ve shot plenty of spikes and probably shoot plenty more!!

28-Oct-19
I normally open this page every couple weeks but there really isn’t much reason to.

Is everyone as excited about gun season coming up? Yay...... can’t wait for the bullets to start flying

28-Oct-19
Usually when gun starts here I head to wi for a couple weeks until they really let loose! I experienced 1 day during rifle season in wi and never again

28-Oct-19
Ha, ya it could be worse, I was in the bottom of a deep canyon in pierce county opening morning in Wisconsin once, most deer I’ve ever seen. They were coming in there kamikazee style.

28-Oct-19
I hunted near Osakis years ago for the shotgun season and there were slugs flying all over the place. But when I was near turtle lake wi on opening day it was insane! Every 40 was like a pumpkin patch, there were guys in buckets 50 ft off the blacktop. Probably drunk too;) I love wi just not opening weekend

30-Oct-19
Gun season is a different animal and I'd never miss the opener. I go into it with a different perspective; I don't expect to have a nice quiet woods all to myself and I try to set up in spots I think deer will use as an escape route...try to use all those "pumpkins" to your advantage. It's like a giant chess game so use them as pawns. Besides, it's tradition, it's part of our hunting heritage, and the very lifeblood of what makes the hunter in each of us tick! It's like Christmas morning for big boys!! I can't wait!

01-Nov-19

DroptineDC18's embedded Photo
DroptineDC18's embedded Photo
I’ll put this to the top. Halloween morning was a great one for me!

01-Nov-19
Congrats! Awesome buck dc18! Any story ?

02-Nov-19
Yes, that is a beauty and a pretty picture, thanks for sharing!

02-Nov-19
Very nice buck, droptine! Nice to see a few guys on this site for a change!

04-Nov-19
Beautiful buck!

04-Nov-19
I miss those days in the hardwoods watchin the place come alive as the sun came up! Them whiteys sure are purty!

06-Nov-19

12yards's embedded Photo
12yards's embedded Photo
Nice one DroptineDC18! After passing up a bunch of yearling bucks, I finally snapped and shot one on Monday. Not seeing any bigger bucks and need some venison. Spent the last 15-20 years complaining about guys shooting small bucks and have been passing them up every year (until last year). Haven't had any better hunting by passing them up so I started shooting them when it gets close to gun season. The plight of a public land hunter in central MN.

06-Nov-19
Congrats 12 yd! I also snapped on Monday and shot a yearling. Some days they get the pass some days they don’t.

06-Nov-19

Mnhunter1980's embedded Photo
Mnhunter1980's embedded Photo
Hoping to connect in Wisconsin this weekend as I am moving in less than 3 weeks and time is getting very limited

06-Nov-19
good meat!

07-Nov-19

FrigidArrows's embedded Photo
Had some success Nov 5th AM.

Was a 15 degree temp drop from the previous day, it was 14 degrees when I went out. I was hoping would entice some good movement. I sat on a ridgetop that is in between a 10 acre swamp, and last years aspen clear cut, and has been a historically good rut highway.

Immediatley after getting in stand, I heard a deer about 60 yards off to my NW, with light grunts, sounded like an adolescent. After that, it was a slow start to the morning, I didn't actually see a deer for almost 2 hours after it started to lighten up, which is pretty uncommon for where we hunt. Caught some movement about 80 yards of to my NE, was a doe headed west into some thick brush straight to my north. She was in there for awhile and another doe ended up joining her, origin unknown. The two of them browsed around for about ten minutes until I heard the light grunt from the NW again. A small basket 8 came from the west, and proceeded to hound them a bit. Wasn't too serious about it, and from there posture, the does weren't interested. I watched them for awhile, and remembered how many times I have been caught off guard by being to fixated on a group of deer, and not my surroundings. I took a quick scan of the area, and spotted a figure moving through the timber about 100 yards to my NE. It was headed straight for the other deer. I pulled up my binos, and see a very noticeable rack.

I recognized him from some trail cam history, and an actual encounter my father had with him the night before, with no shots. He checked out the does, but was unaware of the buck who was about 30 yards away. The 8 point moved and he immediately looked over and dropped his head and ears and started to come at him. Of course the little one coward immediately, turned around and got the heck out of there.

I have never had a lot of success with grunting, as we have probably a 2-1 doe to buck ratio, but the fact that he was already irritated by the other buck, I gave it the old college try. 2 grunts, and immediately had his attention. He spun 180 degrees, and was walking at a decent pace straight at me.

My next dilemma was getting in position for the shot in time as he was moving quick, and there was little cover between us. Every time a tree came between us I twisted a bit further, as he was coming to my weak side. I got positioned as he close the gap at 20 yards. I had one lane left and no cover between us. I decided to go for it and drew, and luckily for me, with his pace, he caught some movement which forced him to stop, but he could not pinpoint where. Arrow flew true, for a double lung shot. Ran 50 yards, and saw him fall from the tree.

This guy had been rutting hard already. He stunk of tarsal to high heaven, and was pretty lean. I have never butchered a buck this early in Novemeber, with so little fat on him. Tons of ag around, so the deer usually fatten up pretty quick. My personal best with a bow, and couldn't be happier.

07-Nov-19
Awesome buck frigid!! Congrats!

07-Nov-19
Very nice! Congrats. Enjoyed the write up.

12-Nov-19
Congrats Mnhunter and FrigidArrows!

18-Nov-19
Passed on a spike yesterday with antlers about 1/2 inch high. Was watching two does feeding in front of me when they bolt, heard a grunt afterwards. OK get ready, here he comes. Then this teeny, tiny buck stolls into the area. about 1/2 size of the big doe who bolted. Stiff legged walk then pees on his haunches right were the doe was standing, walked to within 10 yds before he took up the trail of the does. What a bold little twerp but hey I was one of those once.

19-Nov-19
Tony, I can relate, last Sunday( 10th) I rattled in 3 bucks at one time, all 3 8pts. 2 of the 3 were about the same size, I'd guess 160-175 lbs and a yearling about 125-135 lbs. The yearling came on the run right between and 2 bigger ones and chased, one by one, them both off. He then proceeded to come back and look for anymore to fight. It's all about attitude!

19-Nov-19
Sunday I had 17 deer in a food plot, 3 bucks, 2 yearlings and a 2 year old, none had any interest in the does, they were farting around pushing and sparring.

• Sitka Gear