Whocares 14-Feb-20
SteveD 15-Feb-20
RD 15-Feb-20
rodb 15-Feb-20
Whocares 15-Feb-20
Jeff in MN 24-May-20
12yards 27-May-20
27-Oct-19
My buddy hunted (only first day) in Ripley, said he talked to one of the people at the check in station, who said only 350 hunters this year. I've lost all enthusiasm for hunting there.

Anyone heard how the first weekend went?

27-Oct-19
I havnt heard, I’ve been there a handful of times but it’s been about 5 years. I use to know quite a few guys that really looked forward to it every year but as far as I know none of them go either.

29-Oct-19
Just not enough deer anymore. Ripley used to be a hunt that was better than most hunter's home place but once that changed there isn't a really big reason to go there anymore. Some traditions are still alive but it kinda sucks that it's not what it once was. They hype leading up to Ripley was always so great and fun but not so much anymore.

30-Oct-19
Wow! We used to see some monsters and plenty of does too. What happened to Ripley? I quit going because it was such a zoo with 2000 hunters. Would be fun again with only 350! But, gotta see some game too!

01-Feb-20
Was there the 2nd weekend lots of people and lots of deer shot.

02-Feb-20
I did the first day and first time in, went in blind but hit a ridge with very little hunting pressure. Did see several tails and fresh scrapes but had to cut the hunt short with the knee giving out, that is getting replace. When coming out there was a very large 10 that was taken out of 9 deer that afternoon. Wish had a prior spotting time to figure the landscape and good legs would have made a difference. Would like to do it again with the possibilities that it offers. The ones that continue to hunt it do have a greater advantage of success.

05-Feb-20
Did the youth hunt two years ago. May try it again before my kids ages out.

07-Feb-20
Looks like there are "tags" left over the last few years, not like the "old days" when it was a highly sought after hunt. You should be able to go again this fall with the "new knee" jjs. Good luck with the knee and the hunt!

12-Feb-20
I drew Ripley 20 or so years ago. Ended up not going after I heard about the line of vehicles waiting to get in opening morning.

12-Feb-20
I did it a few times when it was still full maybe 10 or so years ago. It was frustrating the first time getting away from people and finding sign as you hunt but I’d you have a good attitude and know what to expect it’s a good time with a chance at a monsta! The biggest buck I have ever seen while in a stand was there it was a massive typical 12 that went easy 200 lbs. he picked me out in the tree In 2 seconds.

13-Feb-20
It would be nice if a permit holder could have one day before to scout or the week end before the actual hunt.

14-Feb-20
You can, all you have to do is join the Army and they'll let you look around in there all you want!

14-Feb-20
Was already in way back, probably before you were born.

14-Feb-20
WW1 ?

15-Feb-20
Good one who cares you should be a comedian.

15-Feb-20
In 1968 I would hunt in there any day, just had to sign in and out when you left.

15-Feb-20
Back in the early 70's the camp was open 7 days a week for the whole bow season. My brother and I would go there during the week and we would be the only ones in the camp.

15-Feb-20
We hunted there in the early 60s. Weekends were a lineup 2 cars abreast and when the gates opened it was nuts! Usually the whole camp was open. During the week it was easy to go, but more limited areas at times as I recall. Back then it was loaded with amazing bucks! Haven't been back since then.

24-May-20
Not sure if it was '91 or '93, it was the year of the horrible halloween blizzard. We started from Rochester MN, roads got worse and worse as we got west of the twin cities it got real bad but we kept on going. When we got to Ripley there was nobody in line. That is when we found out the hunt was cancelled and the few of us that were there were scrambling for a place to spend the night. I think we hunkered down in our truck over night. Next day was a beautiful day, would have been a good hunt. Have not been back there in a long time.

I remember one year I had a small buck walk under me early in the morning. He bedded down about 30 yards in front of me. He stayed right there till mid afternoon. I was even able to get down on the ground to 'take care of business' and get back up the tree without disturbing him. The deer were certainly used to people being around.

27-May-20
Jeff in MN, it was 1991. My first year in MN, moved here from MI. They rescheduled it for a couple weeks later if I remember correctly. Not that many guys hunted it, less than 1000, but they had an amazing kill of big bucks despite the low number of hunters. I think it was the highest success rate ever for a hunt.

• Sitka Gear