vmang 30-Nov-19
jdbbowhunter 30-Nov-19
erict 30-Nov-19
archer756 01-Dec-19
jdbbowhunter 01-Dec-19
Petcontain 02-Dec-19
11-Nov-19

11-Nov-19
Don’t think you have even a slim chance on this one.

Knowingly or not, you broke the law. Take the fine and be happy it’s not anything worse.

Keep em off Facebook too

11-Nov-19
As a Educator I tell ALL students they should read the laws in the manual the state supplies I read the manual each year since there are always changes each year. AS was stated and as I tell ALL students there is no excuse for not knowing the LAW. Hopefully you wont lose your right to hunt. GOOD LUCK

11-Nov-19
Take your lumps, pay the fine and be thankful for the leniency

11-Nov-19
Unfortunately you broke the law, you should educate yourself on hunting rules and regulations. And ain't social media great!

11-Nov-19
Ignorance is not a defense in the court room. They might even take your hunting license for a year or give you a bigger fine. I would take the fine and count my blessings. If they let you keep the meat consider yourself very lucky

12-Nov-19
I see no way that you could get out of this. Besides, why would you want a poached deer head on your wall, to remind you of your mistake for the rest of your life?

12-Nov-19
Thank you everyone. Appreciate your responses and the wisdom within them. It was my first big buck, accidentally poached or not, it just sucks he is getting destroyed. I understand why they do it and I guess the eyes of the law only see in black and white so the circumstances don't matter. Ultimately, it is my fault. Never again will I trust word of mouth, even if I trust that person with my life otherwise. I have been depressed over this so I am taking my mistake and the consequences very seriously. It will take me a long time to recover from. I am self taught as an adult and every time I am lucky enough to be out in the woods, whether I see something or not, I feel extremely humbled to live in that world even for awhile. I cherish every kill I have ever made. So this mistake is totally out of character for the kind of hunter I aim to be. Live and learn.

And I should have listened to my mom about facebook all along...

Thanks again. Wish you all best of luck in what is left of the season! Take care.

12-Nov-19
Always read the regs!! I am in strong favor of hunting bans when laws are broken. Be happy you didn't get a lifetime ban.

12-Nov-19
This one actually is black and white, I think youre lucky they are letting you off as easy as they are. Im not judging you, I just think you should pay the fine and move on. Im sure you got lots of pics

13-Nov-19
Didn't see original post but it seems to be an agreement amongst all of you that it was lenient and should be accepted.

13-Nov-19
As it has been told to me over the years. Go to the horses mouth, not the horses butt. We see that you will make that mistake once. A quick call to your DOW, can and will save you plenty of headaches. Now put that behind you and ask yourself, Did I make a good quick and clean harvest?

13-Nov-19
Curious as well to what happened, first post is gone. Anyone can just share the bottom line?

13-Nov-19
She killed two bucks during archery and tagged the second with her husbands tag

13-Nov-19
POACHER

13-Nov-19
Lucky that DEC did not take your vehicle, which they can and have done.

13-Nov-19
Is this for real ? Never ceases to amaze me that people will put every dumb( or worse) thing they do on the internet.

14-Nov-19
shawlerbrook , I see reality is not for you !

14-Nov-19
I'm confused too. Did she think the regular tag was good for archery - then realized her mistake and tried to cover for it with her husbands' tag? Or did she just kill a buck on her husbands' tag thinking the buck tag was transferable - like the DMP is? Calling her a poacher is a little harsh - poachers generally don't tag deer at all. Careless or ignorant of NY game laws is probably more accurate here - IMO.

14-Nov-19
I wonder who the Bow Hunters Ed Class

29-Nov-19
It also can be done legally in some instances to use two of your own tags. I hunt in a bow only unit. I can use my early season archery tag and my regular season tag as well. Due to it being bow only once season starts it is regular season on my unit. Shawn

29-Nov-19
Well stated Shawn. You can use you bow during regular firearm season, and if successful on a buck, you use your regular season buck tag. Funny thing to me is ive had people tell me I cant hunt with bow during regular season.

29-Nov-19

erict's Link
To be clear, the Regular Season tag is not legal to use during the Early Bowhunting Season, even in "archery only" areas of Monroe and Albany Counties. It is only for use during the Regular Season, Late Bowhunting, Late Muzzleloading and Suffolk January seasons as clearly shown on page 26 of the Hunting guidebook at the link.

In those small areas of Monroe and Albany counties one could shoot an antlered deer with a bow during the Early Archery season and another during the Regular Season, but not two during the Early Archery season, nor two during the Regular Season. One could shoot two antlered deer with a bow during the "Late" seasons as long as they had the archery privilege on their license.

30-Nov-19
What about counties like Westchester where there is only dates for the regular season, no early, regular, or late seasons.

30-Nov-19
Westchester you may use your regular season tag as well as your bow/mz tags.

During the regular season in bow only zones like shawn is hunting you may use your regular tag only, providing you are bowhunting as that's all thats allowed.

30-Nov-19
Thanks Trial. I though that was the case with Westchester County.

30-Nov-19
So Trial are you saying that I cant use my bow during regular season?

30-Nov-19
You can use a bow during regular season in any areas open to deer hunting as long as you have proof of a bowhunter safety course and/or archery license. See page 20 of my link which states:

Bowhunting opportunities include both the bow-hunting and regular seasons: •Hunters must possess a current bowhunting or junior bowhunting privilege to participate during the bowhunting seasons. •The bowhunting privilege is not required to hunt with a bow during regular seasons, but hunters must possess proof of eligibility (either a valid bowhunter education certificate or prior bowhunting license). •Bow/Muzz either-sex or antlerless-only tags may not be used during the regular seasons except by junior bowhunters or in WMUs 1C and 3S. •In WMUs 4J and 8C, only bows may be used to take deer during the regular and bowhunting seasons. •Suffolk (WMU 1C) and Westchester (WMU3S) counties have separate regular seasons restricted to bows for taking deer.

01-Dec-19
I need to understand why NO ONE takes time and read the rules, it looks and sounds like we ASSUME, READ THE RULES

01-Dec-19
Was sure I could use bow during reg season, But was some what confused by a few things stated here. Possibly just interpreted wrong what I read.

02-Dec-19
Hope this helps: 6 CRR-NY 1.18 NY-CRR OFFICIAL COMPILATION OF CODES, RULES AND REGULATIONS OF THE STATE OF NEW YORK TITLE 6. DEPARTMENT OF ENVIRONMENTAL CONSERVATION CHAPTER I. FISH AND WILDLIFE SUBCHAPTER A. HUNTING PART 1. SINGLE SPECIES DEER 6 CRR-NY 1.18 6 CRR-NY 1.18 1.18 Issuance and use of deer hunting tags. (a) Purpose. This section contains procedures for issuance and use of deer hunting tags for deer hunting as provided by Environmental Conservation Law, section 11-0907. (b) Applicability. This section defines the available deer hunting tags and the conditions for their use. Persons eligible to hunt deer may do so during a regular big game season and one or more special seasons, or both. Depending upon the number and types of deer hunting licenses purchased by a big game hunter, the bag limit, the sex of the deer that may be taken, and the seasons of use may vary. (c) Types of deer hunting tags. (1) A deer hunting tag includes the following types of tags: regular season deer tag, bow/mz season either sex tag, or bow/mz season antlerless tag. (2) A regular season deer tag will be issued to any hunter authorized to hunt big game. (3) A bow/mz season either sex tag will be issued to a hunter holding a licensed authorizing the hunting of big game and holding additional licenses or stamps authorizing big game hunting in either a special archery season or a special muzzleloader season. (4) A bow/mz season antlerless tag will be issued to a hunter holding a license authorizing the hunting of big game and holding additional licenses or stamps authorizing hunting in both special archery seasons and special muzzleloader seasons. (d) Use of deer hunting tags. (1) A regular season deer tag is valid for use only during the regular big game seasons and is valid for the taking of an antlered deer only, except: (i) During the regular seasons in Westchester and Suffolk Counties or in areas restricted to bow only hunting, regular season deer tags may be used for a deer of either sex. (ii) During the late archery or late muzzleloading seasons hunters authorized to hunt in those seasons may use a regular season deer tag for a deer of either sex. (iii) During the youth firearms season, junior hunters may use a regular season tag for a deer of either sex. (2) A bow/mz season either sex tag is valid for the taking of a deer of either sex, in any special seasons and with any implement legal during that season. Bow/mz season either sex tags are not valid for use during the regular seasons, except in Westchester and Suffolk Counties or by junior archers hunting during regular seasons. (3) A bow/mz season antlerless tag is valid for the taking of antlerless deer only, in any special season and with any implement legal during that season. Bow/mz season antlerless tags are not valid for use during the regular seasons, except in Westchester and Suffolk Counties. (e) Manner of taking. (1) The manner of taking, tagging and reporting requirements provided in Environmental Conservation Law, section 11-0907 for hunting under a big game license shall apply to all tags used for deer hunting. (2) Hunters holding both a bow/mz season either sex tag and a bow/mz season antlerless tag may use either tag during any special season for which they hold a license or stamp. (3) A regular season deer tag may be used during the late special archery season, the late muzzleloader season and the September portion of the northern zone early archery season by hunters holding licenses or stamps authorizing big game hunting during those seasons. (f) Special provisions. (1) Persons holding a lifetime license(s) will be issued deer hunting tags corresponding to the season privileges for which they are authorized. 6 CRR-NY 1.18 Current through October 15, 2019

• Sitka Gear