altitude sick 11-Dec-19
Blade 12-Dec-19
Flinger 13-Dec-19
Boris 13-Dec-19
samman 16-Dec-19
Dale06 17-Dec-19
Niko 20-Feb-20
22-Nov-19
I’m looking at going to the Pawnee National Grasslands this weekend to hopefully bag a few coyotes. I’ve recently built a fleshing beam and want to try my hand at skinning and tanning the hides. Any info on where to hunt or how to skin/tan would be much appreciated. Or any landowners who need some coyote control feel free to hit me up :)

22-Nov-19
Pawnee is the default spot for a lot folks so coyotes can be a bit educated as well as truck and call shy. It gets grazed hard so much of the public looks like a pool table. That said, there are certainly coyotes there.

Make a lot of stands.

Look for spots where you can get set up while keeping exposure to a minimum, you can shoot down wind, and have some cover/ broken terrain to pull from. Often that means setting up on public and trying to pull a coyote from a private creek bottom, ag field, crp, etc.

22-Nov-19
Thanks for the info! Would it be worth trying to find a spot not too far in the mountains or is sticking to the grassland/prairie terrain my best bet?

22-Nov-19
Mountain calling has always been tougher for me. Out East or ag ground in the valleys if calling in the mountain country.

22-Nov-19

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
Luv me some Mtn coyotes

01-Dec-19
MT dogs seem to be bigger and have better hair...out east be ready to shoot a long ways some will come in hard most that have been educated with hang up far off some sort of action decoy can help...

01-Dec-19
Any of the river systems and surrounding range land out east are loaded with them. You would get opportunities out there for sure.

02-Dec-19
Knock on doors of some big cattle ranches out east, especially those with broken and/or dry creek bottom drainages. They all hate coyotes and often welcome hunters.

03-Dec-19
For those of you that coyote hunt; is a 17 HMR good for hunting them.

03-Dec-19
17 hmr is OK for short range shots, it just really lacks enough umph to kill them much past 100 yards. If you want to shoot small caliber I'd suggest something like the .17 Remington, or a .204. Both are good medicine out to 250 yards. If you're going to shoot much further than that, step up to 22-250 or even .243. Coyote fur is bringing decent money agian this winter. I sold 23 two weeks ago at an avg. of $40.

03-Dec-19
That .17 is really light and that little bullet will certainly drift in the breeze. OK for close call ins but you’ll be under gunner for the open prairies or even up in the sagebrush in the hills. You would be better suited with a .22-250 and the .243/6mm is even better. My old 26-06 was sudden death on longer range coyotes until the barrel burned out.

03-Dec-19
I like a 223.

04-Dec-19
As posted the HMR is a little light. I hunted a bunch with a .17 Mach 4 similar to a .17 Rem and it was great for pelts but had more run offs than a guy should. But, if thats what you have don't let it stop you. Keep the shots close.

04-Dec-19

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
.243 for me

04-Dec-19
Cnelk is this recent? Looks like a good day.

I have not been able to hunt (yotes) around me since my farmer buddy passed a couple years ago. We would be out every chance we could during the winter months.

04-Dec-19

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
That was fairly recent - heres a more recent one

04-Dec-19

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
That was fairly recent - heres a more recent one

04-Dec-19
We need you guys in wolf country! You wouldn't believe how many wolf pics I got on my 4 trail cams this Fall.

04-Dec-19

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
I like hunting them in the higher mountain basins.
I like hunting them in the higher mountain basins.
where you can see them at long range and then move into a calling position
where you can see them at long range and then move into a calling position
I use a 222 cal, but like to call them into bow range, ie 50 yards or less
I use a 222 cal, but like to call them into bow range, ie 50 yards or less
cold but a fun hunt
cold but a fun hunt

04-Dec-19

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
WTH?? Not my pic

04-Dec-19

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
610yd shot. Practice practice practice

05-Dec-19
Freaking salty Brad!!

05-Dec-19

Flinger's embedded Photo
Flinger's embedded Photo
Nice.

230 yards and never took another step. 22-250 hand loads.

08-Dec-19
Well I’m going out later today I’ll let you guys know if I get anything!

09-Dec-19
I use a .308. Longest shot I've shot a coyote was 280 yards

11-Dec-19

altitude sick's embedded Photo
Was coyote hunting last week and had a badger encounter
altitude sick's embedded Photo
Was coyote hunting last week and had a badger encounter

12-Dec-19
I don't shoot the lighter loads and bullets...I want a deadlier and all-around caliber. Dealing with wind, which is common, as well as some longer distance shots, I prefer a fast but heavier bullet. My choice is the .243 with a 100 grain bullet and mounted with a variable power scope that has a low magnification of 1.5 - 2X. I also carry a 12 gauge shotgun with 3 inch shells loaded with BB that is very effective out to 75 yards when using a full choke. Primarily I hunt creek bottoms, CRP, wheat stubble and pastures covered with yucca or sagebrush. Hunting these types of windy areas, vegetation and rolling hills have resulted with 65% of my kills with the shotgun.

13-Dec-19
Blade I agree there. I have shot more yotes with a 12gauge #4 buck than with any other gun.

Hint for people that are looking to switch or use a shotgun for the first time, test your loads and chokes. I did a hunt and thought no problem I'll use my full choke with the #4 buck, big mistake. Was missing yotes at 40 yards. Shaking my head thinking WTH? I took it to a make shift range on a big piece of cardboard, 3ft low and 2 ft right at 40 yards. good pattern but off. Went to a mod choke and right on with a good pattern.

13-Dec-19
I got the 17 hmr for bopping bunnies. The wife was getting pissed because they where getting into her garden. Well between my son and I, we took out 7 bunnies. Sighted in at 50 yards, you can put a dime over a 10 shot group. I got 2 boxes of the CCI shells. They grouped well and took out the bunnies. Walmart was having a sell on shells. So, I got a box of Hornady shells with the polymere tip. My son shot a bunny with them at about 30 yards. It blew the bunny apart. Couple days later, I shot a bunny in the head. took the head off. Asked a gun shop owner about them. He told me that the Hornady tips will blow them up big time. I asked how will they do on coyotes? He said 50-75 yards should be dead yote. That is using the Hornady bullets. But around my place, they use shotguns and dogs. To thick and farm country.

16-Dec-19
My brother-in-law uses the Hornady rounds on prairie dogs out to 125yds, blows them up too.

17-Dec-19
I would not recommend the 17HMR on coyotes. In perfect condition, it would work. Perfect conditions seldom occur in coyote hunting.

20-Feb-20
Hello everyone. I just wanted to stop by to say hi. I am new to the forum and new to hunting as well. I will like to meet people involved in Varming hunting and maybe offer to help in what I can, if you go hunting and allow me to hunt with you, so I can learn and at the same time meet friends to hunt with. Thanks for your help.

• Sitka Gear