Sitka Gear
Help Newbe planning a future hunt
Iowa
Contributors to this thread:
25-Nov-19
Im from South Lousiana and need some help understand what i would have to do to come hunt up there in the next couple of years. I have family in Pisgah. I would love to come hunt up there. They have a small 20 acre piece of property. So with out seeing the place , i would guess I would have to hunt public land. Unless they had some friendly neighbors. I plan on a trip with my Aunt to see her daughter up there and wanted to hunt also. I just have a couple of question for now if someone could answer them. Hows the hu ting up there ? When is the best time to be there? I ask that as to being a fireman, i pick vaction a year in advance. How hard is the terrain to hunt? I mostly hunt pine plantations. And any other info i might need.

25-Nov-19
Im from South Lousiana and need some help understand what i would have to do to come hunt up there in the next couple of years. I have family in Pisgah. I would love to come hunt up there. They have a small 20 acre piece of property. So with out seeing the place , i would guess I would have to hunt public land. Unless they had some friendly neighbors. I plan on a trip with my Aunt to see her daughter up there and wanted to hunt also. I just have a couple of question for now if someone could answer them. Hows the hu ting up there ? When is the best time to be there? I ask that as to being a fireman, i pick vaction a year in advance. How hard is the terrain to hunt? I mostly hunt pine plantations. And any other info i might need.

25-Nov-19

25-Nov-19
Hey william, It looks like that would probably be Zone 3. That looks to be a pretty easy zone to draw. Can be drawn with 1 point and probably for sure with 2. Next year I would apply for a preference point. Ask your relatives about their property and if it doesn't sound promising, ask them about their neighbors. It's not terrible to get bow hunting permission. Gun is a whole other story. I live on the complete opposite end of the state so I don't know much about the hunting out there. Generally speaking, the south central and northeast corner produce the bigger bucks. I'm sure there are several taken in western Iowa each year too. Iowa terrain is pretty easy. It will probably be hardwood timbers (oak, hard maple, etc.) and ag fields. Best time of the year, in my opinion, is the two weeks following halloween. That time of year, pheasant, rabbit, squirrel are also open. Lots to do that time of year.

• Sitka Gear