MinneArcher 27-Dec-19
BigMountainHntr85 20-Jan-20
Paul@thefort 21-Jan-20
JohnMC 15-Feb-20
Paul@thefort 15-Feb-20
Jaquomo 17-Feb-20
azelkhntr 06-Mar-20
26-Dec-19
Hi all, new Minnesotan here wanting to do some archery elk hunting if it works out for time off, tags, etc. I went back in 2017 with a couple friends (GMU 35) and while there it was very clear that we were woefully under-prepared to hunt elk because none of us have ever done it. With that being said, I was wondering if anyone would be willing to share a few tips to help my chances? I have the OnX hunt app and have been doing online scouting as well as calling a few local CO wildlife offices to get some knowledge. I'm also planning on doing some pre-scouting if I am able to hunt where I would bring a cellular trail cam and scout that way too. This would likely be a solo hunt so any information would help. Thanks!

26-Dec-19

KC9's Link
MinneArcher All of us were newbies at one time. I love these threads because even after hunting years you can pick up tips. Click on this link for some great advice.

26-Dec-19
Pick up a copy of Public Land Elk Hunting by Bowsiter Matthew Dworak. My two biggest pieces of advise are:

Have a plan B, C and D area and don't be afraid to move if you aren't seeing or hearing elk.

Beg, borrow or steal as much time as you can. Time is a giant multiplier for elk success.

26-Dec-19
Check out elk101.com

27-Dec-19
Thank you for the responses! I'm going to try and get as much time off as I can and really make an effort to give myself at least a chance. Lots of good info in that link KC9, appreciate it! This is getting me excited for the upcoming season!

20-Jan-20
I’m in the same boat, all the info I can gather can only help me in the long run!

21-Jan-20
Minn, be advised, Cellular Trail Cameras are ILLegal in Colorado. Regular trail cameras are ok. Paul

14-Feb-20
MinneArcher,

Have you begun to narrow down possible units or areas? I'm new to archery elk hunting myself and have been covering lots of ground in a unit the past several years and wouldn't mind sharing some insights if you are open to somewhere not near the Interstate 70 corridor. I also echo everyone else on subscribing to Elk 101 and going through the course. Lots of valuable information in there.

15-Feb-20
Paul the way I read the rule he would be fine using a cellular trail cam before season as long as it was removed two days before hunting area. Here is the reading of law. If he can get a cell signal in the mountains and if it would still be there when he came back is another question.

13. Use live-action game cameras to locate, surveil, or aid or assist in locating or surveiling game wildlife in order to take/try to take game wildlife during the same or following day. "Live-action game camera" is any device capable of recording and transmitting photographic/video data wirelessly to a remote device (such as a computer or smart phone). This doesn't include game cameras that record photographic/video data and store such data for later use, as long as the device cannot transmit data wirelessly.

15-Feb-20
Yea John, that seems correct. But cell coverage in the Mts.???? Paul

17-Feb-20
About half of my elk spots have five bars of 4G LTE with Tmobile. I don't use cellular cameras but sure could. Hang out in my cabin eating Cheetos and watching Oprah, watch a bunch of cameras until a herd moves into one of my spots, go hunt.

06-Mar-20
Hello all. I'm new to the forum. I failed to draw a tag here in AZ for elk and putting together my hunt in CO. I'm looking for a partner or a group of guys to share a hunt with. I'm an experienced elk hunter and prefer going into the wilderness for the chase. Fully outfitted and need nothing but the company and assistance of others to share elk camp with. I'm planning on a 2 week minimum stay or until we tag out. I plan on getting into camp 3 days prior to cut wood and acclimate a bit prior. PM me if interested. Thx.

• Sitka Gear