jpinkerton 27-Dec-19
bowonly 27-Dec-19
Dusktildawn 27-Dec-19
Booner203 28-Dec-19
Woods Walker 01-Jan-20
gambit1393 02-Jan-20
LBshooter 30-Jan-20
27-Dec-19
I shoot a VXR set at 57lb and a 27 inch draw. I practice out to 60 yds and I’m pretty confident that I could make a 60 yd shot. I just wanted an opinion

27-Dec-19
Only you can decide that. For me, shooting a Vertix at 65# and 28" draw, 60 yards on a whitetail is way outside my comfort zone.

In fact, I rarely ever hang a tree stand that provides the opportunity at such a long shot. 40 yards is my Max, and the situation needs to be just right. Just way too many factors to know the arrow is hitting where I intended at those distances.

27-Dec-19
I shoot an Elite Option 6 with 65# limbs and a 30" draw. I, like you, practice out to 60 yds and are confident I could make that shot if presented in the "perfect" conditions. But I mainly practice at these distances to make the shorter (40 yds and less) ranges seem like chip shots. In reality, I've only taken a handful of hunting situational shots at deer beyond 30 yds. I typically have my hunting setups such that a 30 yd or closer shot is what is presented. In my humble opinion shots beyond 40 yds should be taken with extreme caution because, as was said before, there are too many factors that could play into altering the impact point. My 2 cents.

27-Dec-19
Don't think just because you see them don't on t.v shows, that 60yd shots are what you want. So many things have to be perfect to pull that off. Like you, I also practice long shots, out to 70 yds. Of the last 30 deer I've taken with a bow, the longest shot has been 39yds. I tend to hunt thicker areas thus limiting my shot options but have also passed on many deer in agg fields and open areas that have been 50yd plus shots. I would say 75% of my deer have been shot 25yds or closer. If you work on your setup,scent,play the wind,practice your draw at any deer you can, even if you never intend to kill it, you will find that you will rarely if ever need to shoot 60yds plus. Good luck. Hopefully we get a cold snap before season ends. I've had alot of luck late season when temp dips way down.

28-Dec-19
Thanks for the advice. I feel confident out to 60 yds, but I wouldn’t feel really comfortable taking a shot past about 45 yds.

01-Jan-20
Bales and 3D targets don't move at the last second. You also have no time under hunting conditions (cover, shadows, etc.) to fully assess the exact angle being presented. Add to this the stress/adrenaline rush of the "moment of truth". The further the distance the more difficult judging this and the risk of the game moving becomes. I practice out to 80 yards, but don't like shooting past 25 while actually hunting.

02-Jan-20
Any distance at which you can confidently place a quick kill shot.

30-Jan-20
Ethics are not a set parameter, it's different for each person. If your confident out to 60 then go for it, but it's upto you.

• Sitka Gear