Deerdawg 05-Mar-20
Moons22 06-Mar-20
xi 06-Mar-20
28-Dec-19

peterk1234's embedded Photo
Our bounty from the first day on the ice. I know......who the hell eats pickerel? Giving pickling a shot with them. One of the pickerel measured in at 24 inches and it was nice and fat. As for perch, we love perch.

28-Dec-19

And I whipped this together today. Don't hunt Saturdays and too warm to ice fish, and I sure was not about to do any chores around the house. No idea if it will work well but dying to try it.

28-Dec-19
Silly deer hunters don't remember water freezes ! That's a good haul. Did you fillet the pickerel ?

28-Dec-19
Pete, I'm a big fan of eating pickerel. It takes some practice, but you can get completely boneless fillets. My wife and I eat a pile of them every winter.

28-Dec-19
I did. Kept those pesky Y bones in place though. They are supposed to soften up and become edible. Maybe I will have my daughter's boyfriend try it first and see what happens :)

Saw your post with the kids fishing on the ice. That is so awesome to see. Not much of that anymore, everyone prefers video games.

I absolutely love ice fishing. Nothing like first light on the ice; total silence and cold clean air. Oh, and your not stuck in a tree freezing your balls off. Pete

28-Dec-19
Where are you guys finding ice that's thick enough to get out on?

Joe, you may need to organize a pickerel filleting get together. I didn't think it was possible to get all the bones out.

28-Dec-19
Bruce, I was on six inches of ice in Holden and Boylston the last couple of days. Don't know how much damage we sustained after today, but I am tempted to try to get again tomorrow morning. I just need to find another idiot willing to take a walk on the local pond with me tonight to check things out.

28-Dec-19
I think the ice is safe till I see trucks on it lol as a kid fishing on ice I fell through good think it was next to shore I never want to be that cold again

28-Dec-19
Bruce, I'd be happy to give a how to. You get some meat lost, but it's well worth it to avoid the bones. Bowsite ice fishing derby?

28-Dec-19
Peter if it doesn't work out for your daughter's boyfriend I'd like to have some for my daughter's boyfriend too. Lol

29-Dec-19
@bjstcrusn ................................... :)

29-Dec-19
Cool stuff Peter, no safe ice SC z11 yet . I have had pickled pickeral before, it was rather good.

29-Dec-19
Pete, do you need to cook that, or is it just vinegar and salt?

29-Dec-19
I first brined the fish for 72 hours in salt and vinegar. Then drained. In a saucepan I took a couple cups of vinegar, a cup of sugar and two tablespoons of my homemade allspice/pickling seasoning; heated it to dissolve the sugar. Then layered fish, onion and carrots until full. Now have to wait at least three days before trying it out.

29-Dec-19
Sounds good!

29-Dec-19
Pete K’s Pickled Pickerel ! If it’s anything like pickled herring mmmm! No blanching needed? Like your jig pole set up

29-Dec-19

Great day on the ice. One of the best I have had in years. The rod tip up was a load of fun. Biggest fish on it was a 2.5 pound bass. So cool to see the rod bend over, then running over and fighting a decent fish on a little rod. Much more exciting than hand lining. Gotta make a couple more of these. The fish were all hook lipped. I lost a few, but I blame the style and size hook. Gotta mess around with that a bit.

We finally found the perch and crappie. Biggest crappie weighed 1.5 pounds. Biggest one I have ever seen caught. We are having a huge fish fry tonight. Couple of folks are joining us for the games and I have a pile of fish to feed them :)

29-Dec-19
That's what I'm talking about, Pete! Looks like we won't have hard water anytime soon out east, everything has opened back up.

29-Dec-19
Peter, good God. That's a fish fry for a King, homemade french fries and Tartar sauce. Congrats on a great catch !

30-Dec-19
I made canned "smoked" pickerel using the pickled whitefish recipe from uncut angling. The pressure cooker and internal chemistry somehow dissolves the bones. It's pretty tasty and you don't have to be too careful when filleting.

31-Dec-19
Hey Huntfishcook................ Broke open jar number one of the pickled pickerel. Oh my, that is quite tasty. Even my wife liked it and that is pretty much outside of the box for her. Just the right firmness. Very close to the pickled herring you can buy commercially. I dare say this is better.

Looks like I will be killing some more pickerel this winter.

31-Dec-19
Pete Would you be interested in some barter? Lol seriously Sounds delicious, I love pickled herring .. I have an assortment of venison sausage, pastrami ect...... The bite is on! Time to go ice fishing!

31-Dec-19
I might have to try pickling it this year, Pete. I always end up frying it, but pickling a few sounds like a nice change.

01-Jan-20
By the way, did the vinegar soften those pesky y-bones? I've heard people say that frying will soften them, but it's just not true. Seems like a long soak in pickling liquid could actually have a softening effect.

01-Jan-20
I have not noticed any bones so far. I think the vinegar broke them down completely.

01-Jan-20

We rang in the new year by getting out on the ice by 6am. Well, at least I did. The rest of the crew showed up at 9:30 after the bit turned off. Unbelievable morning. My biggest crappie ever; 1.6 pounds.

My daughter did enjoy one fish though. Nice bass. Caught on the tip up that her boyfriend missed two fish on just minutes earlier. He is not hearing the end of that one today.

01-Jan-20

And some more pickerel for pickling. The snack has become a family favorite. Great with cheese crackers and a beer.

01-Jan-20
Looks great! We catch a lot of pickerel with big, soft plastic swim baits in the summer, and they are very aggressive. Lots of fun. But I can’t imagine them behaving that way in the winter. What does one use to catch pickerel through the ice?

01-Jan-20
Anything. They hit my shiners, my swedish pimples and the tiny jigs I tie with deer hair. Biggest challenge through the ice is to not get them to hit everything :)

01-Jan-20
Interesting, thank you. It occurs to me that it might make sense to fish open water in, say, December. If they’re active under the ice, I don’t see why they wouldn’t be active in open water in the cold. But you just don’t see too much of that.

08-Jan-20
So far this thread is pickerel, crappie, perch and bass. I usually do just fine catcing those. I've just never had that much success catching trout through the ice. For you guys who have consistent success on trout what are some tips you are willing to share. Thanks, Tekoa

08-Jan-20
Fish shallow,3 to 7 fow. Pinch a night crawler in half and throw it on a jig head, 4lb test line under a tip up. Set it right below to a ft below the ice. Try not to make a lot of noise on the ice. Small shiners work well too. Even over deeper water I still recommend going 1 ft to 5ft below the ice with your bait.

08-Jan-20
Those crappies look delicious. Mmmmmm.

08-Jan-20
Exactly what Shanation said except we don't use jig heads, we use a red anodized #6 bait holder and we use 8lb Fluro to a barrel swivel. Kids aren't gentle on the hook sets !

09-Jan-20
Thanks guys, Tekoa

09-Jan-20
What is the farthest east anyone is finding safe ice? Admittedly, I haven't been out looking at it, but it just feels like we've had too many warmish days. It could be that I'm just a scaredy cat...

I'm in Littleton, just wondering if there is anything fairly close.

09-Jan-20
Pete - that pile of perch and crappies is basically the yummiest fish on earth right there. Only a walleye could cap it - great bounty there for sure! Also, that pickerel you are holding, that's precisely what I think of with them... slime hanging down to the lake :) ha ha ha! They are fun to catch though, good fight, and aggressive, I love fly fishing for them with big waking streamers!

You guys have me thinking I need to get the kids out soon. I like a good 12 inches though :)

10-Jan-20
ya , i'm curious also how far east safe ice is also

10-Jan-20

Will you talking about flies like this one? One of many pickerel flies. Most have been destroyed by those toothy critters.

10-Jan-20

My morning appointment cancelled on me so I was free until noon today. Hit the ice at 5:30 with jigging rod, drill and fish finder. Little slower than the last couple of times but managed to scare up enough for dinner tonight.

They were starting to get lock jaw. I had so many rise to the jig and never take it. I really need to retire. I am on the hunt for the two pound crappie, but I am realizing that work is getting in the way of that goal.

10-Jan-20
Peter, looking forward to tomorrow's weekly Yewts outing. That's another great haul ! Hopefully the kids don't break off to many. Looking forward to a fish chowder on Sunday ! Checked ice today in North/Central 4S, 8"+ of ice.

10-Jan-20
Xi, be careful out there. I am hearing there is already an inch of water on top in some places. I am really bummed about this weather. Kills ice fishing and skiing for us. I think I will be doing some reloading instead this weekend.

Post up some pics!

10-Jan-20
Yes, 1/2" of water at 3PM. I'm concerned with edges, today there was 12+ trucks at the Oxbow marina on the CT river in Northampton. Don't know how they got on the ice.

10-Jan-20

Will's embedded Photo
Will's embedded Photo
Right on Peter!

Hair bugs are fun too!

11-Jan-20
Will, I was thinking of tying up some big muddlers after reading your post about tying streamers that push water. Your flies above fit the bill!

11-Jan-20
Pete, do you tie ice fishing jigs?

11-Jan-20
I do. Some are just tungsten bead heads, but my go to crappie and perch jig has become a 1/16 ounce plain white tungsten jig that you get at cabelas. They are for use with small plastics. But instead of plastics I tie some deer hair and flash. Looks almost like a clouser. I bet a clouser tied using a jig hook would work great too.

11-Jan-20
I like it Pete.

11-Jan-20
How often do you replace line on your tip-ups?

11-Jan-20
Never, just the leaders every year or as needed during the season.

11-Jan-20

xi's embedded Photo
xi's embedded Photo
xi's embedded Photo
xi's embedded Photo
xi's embedded Photo
Loosing ice fast !
xi's embedded Photo
Loosing ice fast !
Sunny and 67°, great day today with the kids !

11-Jan-20

xi's embedded Photo
8" hole !
xi's embedded Photo
8" hole !
xi's embedded Photo
Colors !
xi's embedded Photo
Colors !
Couple good ones !

11-Jan-20
Nice Fish XI Stay dry and safe!

11-Jan-20
Xi, I'm impressed. Great looking fish. We stayed off the ice today. I did pick up a fish trap though today to try our luck at getting our own bait. We just checked it but there was nothing yet. May have to hunt around for the right pond for this. Hey, it's technically still fishing :)

12-Jan-20
Xi what, do u call them up out of hole ? What do u use for a call? A Fish call? Here fishy fishy? Lol

12-Jan-20
Xi what, do u call them up out of hole ? What do u use for a call? A Fish call? Here fishy fishy? Lol

12-Jan-20
Haha DD, we did good yesterday, actually my 12 yo son was the photographer yesterday. Got him a phone for Christmas, then warned him about electronics and water. If people only knew how easy it is to just go out with the simplest of bait, tip ups, kids and a ton of food for the grill from the seasons harvest !

12-Jan-20
Still jealous of you western boys slaying the fish this season. Looks like some good cold weather, even for us eastern slouches, late this week and into early next week.

12-Jan-20
Why in some of your pictures are there a bunch of holes drilled very close to each other? Beautiful fish!

12-Jan-20
Redneck Live well, we ended the day with 8 Rainbows and a bunch of other fish. Only killed 3 bows and 1 perch. Ice just wasn't thick enough (8") to completely chisel it out clean. Actually Jeb, which pics ? When dealing with kids, there's probably a bunch of reasons !

12-Jan-20
XI, you been using worms for the trout or shiners? Pete

P.S. Did not get out this weekend. Going though wicked withdrawals. So I built another one of those fishing rod tip ups and tried my hand at catching my owner bait. Gotta work on catching my own bait.

12-Jan-20

xi's embedded Photo
xi's embedded Photo
Pete, we use everything when we fish. Its literally a complete comedy show. Have always done great with the nightcrawlers/ Trout worm set up. Yesterday we didn't get a Trout or a hit for that matter on a worm. It was all on Salmon eggs, mealworms, power bait and jigging Swedish pimples tipped with a wax worm. Caught 2 20" pickeral and wanted to fillet them for pickling but wouldn't know where to start. Whats crazy is the amount of plastic baits we're finding in the belly's of the fish we kill, from 2 of the fish yesterday !

12-Jan-20
Over the years there have been a few attempts at requiring biodegradable baits in place of plastics. I think Maine tried.

19-Jan-20

xi's embedded Photo
18" Male !
xi's embedded Photo
18" Male !
xi's embedded Photo
17" Tiger !
xi's embedded Photo
17" Tiger !
Great morning so far !

19-Jan-20
Beautiful!

19-Jan-20
Trout look awesome in cold water.

19-Jan-20
Well done. Tigers are cool fish.

19-Jan-20
Awesome! We had no safe ice around us this weekend. I hope to get out Thursday night and jig up some dinner.

19-Jan-20
Peter, 4" of black ice with 2" of snow ice. 6 rainbows and a tiger, bunch of perch and bass. Killed a R'bow and 2 perch that swallowed bait. Love my copper Swedish Pimple !

19-Jan-20
Nice trout, xi! I'm hopeful we will have safe ice in the NE corner of the state by next week.

20-Jan-20
Need some ice here in the NE. I'm getting fat and lazy with nothing to do. At this rate I'm actually going to have to clean the basement one of these weekends.

sam

20-Jan-20
Sams, don't do it. Don't clean the basement. I started that project before Christmas and it still looks like a tornado ripped through there. My daughter warned me that it would look worse before looking better, but it's just continuing to look worse...

20-Jan-20

Huntskifishcook's embedded Photo
Huntskifishcook's embedded Photo
Did the basement last week, looked like a bomb went off after hunting season.

I just checked a pond that gets some good wind blockage in NE z10, 3" of marginal ice. Might actually be able to fish this end of the pond in a few days.

20-Jan-20
Fingers crossed. I really don't want to clean the basement. If I do, them I will be able to find all my tools and I will have to actually do some of those projects the lady in charge has telling me "need to get done".

sam

24-Jan-20
I'm looking at Saturday morning as the only day that I may get locally (NE Z10) on the ice. Buddy checked and there was about 5 inched on Wednesday. I'm pretty sure that will be shot by the time the rain ends on Sunday morning.

sam

24-Jan-20
I was out on a pond Wednesday evening in central Mass. Four inches, most gray ice but it was plenty strong. Unfortunately the fish relocated to some other body of water cuz I got skunked.

24-Jan-20
I was going to go for the first time yesterday morning, but the only bait shop that ever has shiners for 30 miles was all out until their afternoon shipment.

24-Jan-20
It's 1:30 and i just restocked the bait supply. Hitting it hard Saturday morning until the rain gets going, then right back Sunday to have a word with the good Lord at sunrise ! Sams, if its good ice you'll be fine Sunday morning.

24-Jan-20
Good luck xi. We are going skiing this weekend so no ice fishing for me. One of these weekends we will come out your way and join you though. Pete

24-Jan-20
Gonna target the Perch tomorrow, homemade fish and chips on a rainy afternoon. Warm fleecy blanket and the couch by 5PM. Stick a fork in me by 6PM. Peter, anytime, just bring the pickling recipes. We'll cover the rest !

27-Jan-20
Made it out from about 10 - 4:30 Saturday. Caught 2 pickerel and had three tap and drop trout flags. I'm pretty sure that the frontal / pressure situation did not do me any favors. I did talk to the care taker for a piece of property on the pond I was fishing and he said its been a little slow this season. Might have to venture to some other spots if there is anymore ice.

Highlight of the day was a bald eagle that cruised by at about 40'. He took 3 passes and things almost got very interesting on the 3rd. Just as he finished his loop to make this pass a couple with a small dog (off leash) started to walk out of the tree cover and onto the ice. I saw this and waved them off as that dog would have had 0% chance with no cover and no traction.

sam

27-Jan-20
Decent day Sams ! Woke up at 130 am Saturday morning and thought the world was gonna end, no doubt I caught the Shiner virus at the bait shop. God bless Zofran and Pedialyte. Feel like a Sox fan, oh yea, wait till next weekend !

01-Feb-20

xi's embedded Photo
xi's embedded Photo
xi's embedded Photo
Released !
xi's embedded Photo
Released !
And next weekend is here ! Bunch of Crappie and perch on the jig sticks, nothing worth filleting. Trout on the tip-ups. When all of a sudden the boy gives a "I'm snagged, no wait it's a fish". Ten minutes later, this slob slides on the ice. Over 18" and estimate about 4 lbs !

03-Feb-20
Nice work. I fished Saturday afternoon with my daughter. We had 9 tip ups set with a mix of shiners and salmon eggs. No hits, no runs, no errors.

I did talk to a guy who caught a bunch of crappie so I went back to try and catch them in the dark. Unfortunately, the same results as the earlier.

The basement is still a mess of epic proportions.

sam

03-Feb-20
Nice Fish XI ! You guys got all the ice out their! We have had zero ice in SEMass. Good thing we got all the deer! Lol

08-Feb-20

xi's embedded Photo
xi's embedded Photo
xi's embedded Photo
xi's embedded Photo
xi's embedded Photo
xi's embedded Photo
xi's embedded Photo
xi's embedded Photo
Incredible bite today. Kids, food and fun. Top secret bait today was Mike's Garlic Salmon eggs . Only 1 on worms !

08-Feb-20

xi's embedded Photo
Shhh, it's a secret !
xi's embedded Photo
Shhh, it's a secret !

08-Feb-20
XI! Beautiful fish. We are skiing this weekend but are around for the next two weekends. Ice around me might be done. I may bring my crew to crowd in on your holes :) Pete

08-Feb-20
Great day Xi!!!

Enjoy the slopes Pete!

08-Feb-20
Haha, P. No problem. No promises on fishing but we do laugh. We might be able to offer some free lance skiing after you sign a disclaimer though.

16-Feb-20
Thinking of going to Hubbardston Rod & Gun ice fishing derby next Saturday , they said it's still on. Can anyone confirm amount of ice in that area? I'm from southeast Ma and i'm not familiar with that area , I've never ice fished before so I thought I would give it a whirl. Both my buddies i'm going with have so I can learn from them. We are going to hit the Sportsman show at Big E after fishing , should be a good day.

16-Feb-20
Was just checking out my local pond in the Boyslton area. About 5 inches of ice but the south exposed shoreline is open. Sun is getting warm so you have to start watching your edges. I was going to head this morning but I would have had to have gone solo. Really needed someone with me in case I went through. I may go before work one morning this week. Need some fish for dinner.

16-Feb-20
Fished at the Centurry Sporting club derby today. Caught a nice rainbow. That fish turned out to be the longest trout caught today. I won $500! Great times.

16-Feb-20

MA_Bowhunter's embedded Photo
MA_Bowhunter's embedded Photo

16-Feb-20
6-8" in central 4S. It was a slow steady bite. 3 Rainbows, a Tiger mixed in some perch and a pickeral.

22-Feb-20

xi's embedded Photo
xi's embedded Photo
Headed West to the Berkshires. The boys had fun on the jig sticks and shiners. 10+" of good ice and a ton of grilled food. Sunday fun day fish fry !

23-Feb-20
Lots of nice looking perch right there! Delicious fish fry! Enjoy!

02-Mar-20

xi's embedded Photo
xi's embedded Photo
Well its a wrap by the look of things. Can say I fished into March. Really weird year no doubt everywhere. Still 6" of ice, but losing the edges super fast. 1 chew and screw on a shiner in 5 1/2 hrs. Great times with family and friends as always. Wait, shhhhh, I heard a Gobble !!!

02-Mar-20
What site do you guys use ? Anything like this one out there? I usually get my info from other commercial fisherman

04-Mar-20

Moons22's embedded Photo
Moons22's embedded Photo
Moons22's embedded Photo
Moons22's embedded Photo
Moons22's embedded Photo
Moons22's embedded Photo
Few pics from Champlain

04-Mar-20

Deerdawg's embedded Photo
Deerdawg's embedded Photo
Just south of Champlain Bit windy but a lot of Fun! 12.9 oz was the biggest with a few 8-9 pounders , lots of Rat pike a few bass. Nice to see old friends

05-Mar-20
Nice fish Moons How much ice on Champlain Where were you at? We almost went to Larabee point/ landing on the south end of Champlain but did not. Have caught some nice ones there years past.

06-Mar-20
12.9 is a pig dawgy! We were north hero feb 23-26. About a foot of ice

06-Mar-20
Moons, awesome job on the Pond Sharks. They are a beautiful fish !

• Sitka Gear