SevOne's embedded Photo
DripDrop
SevOne's embedded Photo
SevOne's embedded Photo
SevOne's embedded Photo
SevOne's embedded Photo
SevOne's embedded Photo
SevOne's embedded Photo
I had 5 years of history with this buck I named Drip Drop. He avoided hunters on public land for years and went out how all true giant whitetails eventually do...Coyotes.

I had been on this buck these last few years very hard. Setting cameras and stands cleaning trails and lanes looking at maps and trying to strategize how I might finally catch up to this legend of the fall. I even got to get my first glimpse of him on the hoof a few weeks back on a gloomy day in a nasty swamp.

The day after Xmas I was out hunting an area that I know well and have had cameras in for several years and never had any pictures of this specific buck in the particular patch of woods. As I was checking one of my cameras on an oak ridge that was littered with acorns this year I stumbled across one side of his shed antler. I didn't even have to think about what deer this shed was from the 6 inch triple brow tines immediately were recognizable from staring at countless trail camera pictures and videos from this season. At first I was baffled as to why his shed was here in this spot and also full of excitement because besides wanting to shoot my number one target buck for the past few years the next best thing would be to find and locate his sheds before the squirrels do. It truly felt like the deer gods had placed it at my feet when I looked down and saw it.

After analyzing the shed and noticing the fresh blood and big fresh running buck tracks in the patchy snow next to where I had picked it up I also saw that there were small fresh drops of what looked like more blood in between his strides. Excited I began to follow the tracks in hopes that I may find his other side since he was literally still bleeding from this shed detaching from his pedical. I quickly realized something was not right as the small droplets of blood that I first saw in between his tracks was now becoming more pronounced and there was patches of hair and thats when I saw the coyote tracks weaving in and out and began to see where they had taken him down a few times before I finally arrived at his final resting place. he wasn't frozen. He was almost warm to the touch. The coyotes had began to eat his hind quarters and guts. There was no shed He had already dropped his other antler as well.

I looked over his body for a bullet hole and there wasn't anything that was obvious other then the fact that his leg looked like it was severely infected and his hoof was 3 times its normal size.

I started to back track from where I found the first antler hoping the other might not be far behind. After a few hours of following the tracks thr sun went down I went home and once again began looking at maps and strategize how I could locate this other side. First thing the next morning I decided to check go back and retrace his steps as well as check a few nearby feeding locations.

While I was checking the oak flats for signs of his other side I decided to check another camera I had 1000 or so yards away from where I was.

To my surprise the last few pictures on my camera were of Drip Drop this camera has been on this tree over this scrape on this run for 5 years and he never appeared on it until this time at 2:38 am on Christmas and then at 2:41 the first of 5 pictures of coyotes on his tracks.

At this point I had a point of travel because in this picture he was still holding onto the side of his rack that I had already found. I knew with his leg injured he probably wasn't traveling very far unless he had to. I turned around looking in the direction he last came from and saw a low area full of oaks that I could see had been all dug up from feeding. I made my way down the ravine and started slowly scanning every square inch of the oak flats turned leaves, thats when I saw the unmistakable horseshoe shaped main beam. The two sides of his sheds were approximately 3/4 of a mile apart from one another.

I truly feel like this deer and the deer gods gave me one final prize for my years of effort in trying to catch up to him by dropping these sheds where they did.

Now in this off season and all future off seasons I will be conducting operation DripDrop Revenge and hunting these mangy muts.

29-Dec-19

SevOne's embedded Photo
Last Trail Cam Pic
SevOne's embedded Photo
Last Trail Cam Pic
SevOne's embedded Photo
SevOne's embedded Photo
SevOne's embedded Photo
SevOne's embedded Photo

29-Dec-19
Wow. Glad you found the sheds. Sad you don’t get to pursue him again but maybe one of his offspring will be bigger! Looking at him lying in the snow I wouldn’t have guessed that was him as his body looks smaller than I would have thought. Must have run off a lot of weight or that infection was keeping him from feeding normally?

29-Dec-19
Wow I wonder if the coyotes smelled the infection and took up his trail? Did a broadhead slice his leg?

29-Dec-19
What a story! Not so happy ending but glad that you could find the sheds SevOne. Impressive work putting the pieces together to find the other side

29-Dec-19
Great story and as usual you find the monsters.Nature is a thickel bitch.Speaking of bitches whats that on your computer in the picture of u holding the sheds ?

29-Dec-19
Thank you fir sharing the story Sevone! Incredible but very sad. Screw them yotes! It’s clear though he lived a stellar life up until the end.

29-Dec-19

8's or Better's embedded Photo
8's or Better's embedded Photo
Damn that’s a shame...second best ending besides arrowing him yourself. So awesome you were able to find those sheds Sev what do you think was up with his leg you can see how swollen it is in the trail pic. The deer I shot in Iowa had a really bad infection no chance he was making it through the winter. Thinking he got hung up on a barb wire fence?

29-Dec-19
Sev, Thanks, excellent story and having the sheds to go with years of memories, wow.

Nature is a tough bitch. In the Northeast the coyote simply replaced what the wolf and cougar always did. Not right or wrong, good or bad. Older bucks severely run down after rutting are especially vulnerable. In this case it seems that a bad leg made it more so. A friend found the same end result for a seriously large buck last January.

29-Dec-19
Thanks for sharing that story what zone do you hunt? Nice genetics on that deer ,I HATE COYOTES .

29-Dec-19
Amazing story thanks for sharing you bring the word hunter to a higher level

29-Dec-19
Awesome story and complete shame he died the way he did. Amazing you could find both his sheds. Tekoa, you are wrong.....coyotes are bad and wrong. Kill every single one. Don’t ever stop. Ever.

29-Dec-19
Sev Great Quest! It’s not about the kill as much it is the quest ! You earned his respect and in the end he gave up his crown! That’s a great story! In nature if you falter to long it’s over quick. The infection in the leg took him down the yotes just did what they are Born to do. Once he dropped his crown it was all but over . Take the skull and do a euro on him , be worth it , great memory ‘s

29-Dec-19
That is a great idea Dawg

29-Dec-19
Lunker It’s what we all do to keep our special memories alive . He was a worthy adversary and beat you, only to be beaten by an injury. I guess only thing better is to die of old age in your sleep. They have little choice obviously, for this deer to reach this level of maturity is like one of us hitting the lottery, except he was instinctually great, not lucky to to live as long as he did.

My son and I recently found a nice 8 pt buck I shot in archery and regretfully did not recover. it really bothered me to not harvest his meat. I did a euro on him out of respect and reminder .

29-Dec-19
Sev, thank you for sharing this with us! Incredible buck once again! Next time we get together for coffee can you bring drip drop! Awesome stuff!

29-Dec-19
Great story with a crappy ending. Legends get taken out all the time without ever being seen. You at least got the fun of chasing him and to actually get your hands on him. I would def do something to keep his memory alive. Congrats is still in order

30-Dec-19
Incredible that he managed to stay alive with you dogging him all those years! It sucks that the wrong dogs got him but that's natures way Just goes to show how elusive the smart ones can be. Great story! I'm with Dd you should euro him.

30-Dec-19
THat is a damn shame. Is that the same buck that you had a young boy holding the sheds on top of his head a few years back???

30-Dec-19
Incredible story. What persistence on your part. Nature is cruel.

30-Dec-19
Amazing deer Sev, AMAZING! Just the first of many shed's you will find this year I'm sure. Feels sort of like a changing of the guard in terms of the giant's you have been on, with 6 below that you shot, and this one... Hopefully a number made it through and you will have some more amazing adventures and images to share next year... and hunts to take on.

30-Dec-19
Great story and a great find. I only wish you had been able to put an arrow through him. Kudos on how hard and smart you've been hunting him. I'm genuinely impressed.

30-Dec-19
Thanks for sharing a great story

30-Dec-19
I wont get into hunting coyotes because that is controversial but I gotta say, after many years a despising them, man I've really come to respect and admire them. They are incredible hunters, just trying to do the same thing we are.

31-Dec-19
wow Sev.. Bittersweet ending. I am glad you were able to find both sides.

01-Jan-20
Thanks for sharing Sev. What a cool buck!

• Sitka Gear