Quinn @work 30-Dec-19
OTC_Bowhunter 31-Dec-19
OTC_Bowhunter 31-Dec-19
OTC_Bowhunter 31-Dec-19
Opie 04-Jan-20
KHunter 06-Jan-20
KHunter 06-Jan-20
29-Dec-19
I would like to get some input on a good quality spotting scope. Recommended zoom and can get good pictures from it. Are there places to buy used, or is that too risky. Hoping next year to use in unit 2 archery elk, fingers crossed.

29-Dec-19
If you want the best go with either Swaro or Leica. I bought an almost new Swaro on Rokslide's classified adds section for about 1/2 the price of a new one. Keep a tight eye on hunting websites classified sections, Ebay, and Craigslist.

29-Dec-19
Is weight important? For example are you going to mostly use from truck or are you going to be caring for miles and miles in a backpack.

Is cost no object? If not how much are you willing to spend?

30-Dec-19
Just food for thought. When looking at spotting scopes don't forget to save money for a quality tripod. A quality tripod is as important as the glass. This past year I purchased what I consider a quality tripod and it has made huge difference in using my low mid ranged price spotting scope. I actually had quite using the spotting scope several years ago as I thought it was junk. What was junk was the tripod. I actually use my tripod with my binoculars all the time. the tripod I that I purchased is SIRUI MT5-C.

30-Dec-19
Buy once, cry once. You'll never regret buying quality glass. Go with the Swarovskis. I like my 20-80 HD. Others on here have more advice based on using the different Swaro models.

31-Dec-19

OTC_Bowhunter's embedded Photo

OTC_Bowhunter's Link
Skelly, I used a Vortex RAZOR HD 27-60X85 last year in unit 2. It did everything I needed it to do. If everything links up, I have included pics and a link for a refurbished site. Half the price of a new one and the same awesome warranty Vortex is known for.

31-Dec-19

31-Dec-19

04-Jan-20
I bought a cheap Barska Colorado a few years ago. It's waterproof, has a decent 60mm objective, and 20-60x zoom. I mount it on a high quality tripod. I've used it on a few birding trips and at the range. It's my first spotting scope and seems to get the job done. Given the cost, it seems like a reasonable investment. Maybe I'll have an opportunity to line it up next to a buddy's high quality scope one day so I can learn what I'm missing.

06-Jan-20
RE Barska

"Given the cost, it seems like a reasonable investment. Maybe I'll have an opportunity to line it up next to a buddy's high quality scope one day so I can learn what I'm missing. "

Oh my. Have you ever used in extensively in a hunting situations? Just try giving it heavy use there and you will see why it is $100. OP's request was for something that would take good pictures, the Barska will not meet that need.

06-Jan-20
I would not hesitate to buy a used spotting scope, just be diligent in evaluating the product and seller.

• Sitka Gear