Annony Mouse 31-Jan-20
31-Dec-19

Mike the Carpenter's embedded Photo

01-Jan-20

01-Jan-20

One of the best Christmas stories you Never heard.

Here's a 'today' Yule story that occurred 3 weeks ago ~ AND NOW, in time for the holidays, I bring you the best Christmas story you never heard.

It started last Christmas, when Bennett and Vivian Levin were overwhelmed by sadness while listening to radio reports of injured American troops. "We have to let them know we care," Vivian told Bennett. So they organized a trip to bring soldiers from Walter Reed Army Medical Center and Bethesda Naval Hospital to the annual Army-Navy football game in Philly, on Dec. 3.

The cool part is, they created their own train line to do it. Yes, there are people in this country who actually own real trains. Bennett Levin - native Philly guy, self-made millionaire and irascible former L&I commish - is one of them.

He has three luxury rail cars. Think mahogany paneling, plush seating and white-linen dining areas. He also has two locomotives, which he stores at his Juniata Park train yard. One car, the elegant Pennsylvania , carried John F. Kennedy to the Army-Navy game in 1961 and '62. Later, it carried his brother Bobby's body to D. C. for burial. "That's a lot of history for one car," says Bennett.

He and Vivian wanted to revive a tradition that endured from 1936 to 1975, during which trains carried Army-Navy spectators from around the country directly to the stadium where the annual game is played. The Levins could think of no better passengers to reinstate the ceremonial ride than the wounded men and women recovering at Walter Reed in D. C. and Bethesda , in Maryland .

"We wanted to give them a first-class experience," says Bennett. "Gourmet meals on board, private transportation from the train to the stadium, perfect seats - real hero treatment."

Through the Army War College Foundation, of which he is a trustee, Bennett met with Walter Reed's commanding general, who loved the idea. But Bennett had some ground rules first, all designed to keep the focus on the troops alone:

No press on the trip, lest the soldiers' day of pampering devolve into a media circus.

No politicians either, because, says Bennett, "I didn't want some idiot making this trip into a campaign photo op"

And no Pentagon suits on board, otherwise the soldiers would be too busy saluting superiors to relax.

The general agreed to the conditions, and Bennett realized he had a problem on his hands. "I had to actually make this thing happen," he laughs.

Over the next months, he recruited owners of 15 other sumptuous rail cars from around the country - these people tend to know each other - into lending their vehicles for the day.

The name of their temporary train? The Liberty Limited.

Amtrak volunteered to transport the cars to D. C. - where they'd be coupled together for the round-trip ride to Philly - then back to their owners later.

Conrail offered to service the Liberty while it was in Philly. And SEPTA drivers would bus the disabled soldiers 200 yards from the train to Lincoln Financial Field, for the game.

A benefactor from the War College ponied up 100 seats to the game - on the 50-yard line - and lunch in a hospitality suite and corporate donors filled, for free and without asking for publicity, goodie bags for attendees:

From Woolrich, stadium blankets. From Wal-Mart, digital cameras. From Nikon, field glasses. From GEAR, down jackets. There was booty not just for the soldiers, but for their guests, too, since each was allowed to bring a friend or family member.

The Marines, though, declined the offer. "They voted not to take guests with them, so they could take more Marines," says Levin, choking up at the memory.

Bennett's an emotional guy, so he was worried about how he'd react to meeting the 88 troops and guests at D. C.'s Union Station, where the trip originated. Some GIs were missing limbs.

Others were wheelchair-bound or accompanied by medical personnel for the day. "They made it easy to be with them," he says. "They were all smiles on the ride to Philly. Not an ounce of self-pity from any of them. They're so full of life and determination."

At the stadium, the troops reveled in the game, recalls Bennett. Not even Army's lopsided loss to Navy could deflate the group's rollicking mood.

Afterward, it was back to the train and yet another gourmet meal - heroes get hungry, says Levin - before returning to Walter Reed and Bethesda . "The day was spectacular," says Levin. "It was all about these kids. It was awesome to be part of it."

The most poignant moment for the Levins was when 11 Marines hugged them goodbye, then sang them the Marine Hymn on the platform at Union Station. "One of the guys was blind, but he said, 'I can't see you, but man, you must be beautiful!' " says Bennett. "I got a lump so big in my throat, I couldn't even answer him."

It's been three weeks, but the Levins and their guests are still feeling the day's love. "My Christmas came early," says Levin, who is Jewish and who loves the Christmas season.

"I can't describe the feeling in the air." Maybe it was hope.

As one guest wrote in a thank-you note to Bennett and Vivian, "The fond memories generated last Saturday will sustain us all - whatever the future may bring."

God bless the Levins.

And bless the troops, every one.

01-Jan-20

01-Jan-20
Jack, what a wonderful story. Had you not posted it, I never would have read of the generosity the Levin’s organized and contributed to our American troops. Thank you.

01-Jan-20
Mike...got that from Kyle on our temporary CF email group. Worth spreading wide and far. I never saw any mention of it till Kyle shared. THAT is just another demonstration of the failure of modern journalism and wide spread TDS.

01-Jan-20

02-Jan-20

03-Jan-20

03-Jan-20

03-Jan-20
Just heard this today................

If Hooters is a place for well endowed women to work at, what place would be for women with one leg?

................IHOP!!!!

03-Jan-20

03-Jan-20
Mouse, that absolutely does not agree with my experience with doctors. This is just another subtle way the left has of pushing for government medicine.

04-Jan-20
Me, either. When I was running the transplant lab at Michigan State, between clinical and research; I interacted with doctors from all three medical schools at MSU: human med, osteopathic med and veterinary med. All had concerns for the health of their patients...their knowledge and skills varied widely...but that was on the individual doctor.

04-Jan-20

slade's embedded Photo
slade's embedded Photo

04-Jan-20

slade's embedded Photo
slade's embedded Photo
For those who are old enough to remember.........

04-Jan-20

HA/KS's Link
Wonder if this will work?

https://cdn.fishki.net/upload/post/2019/12/14/3169709/421afb7041f4c310c25fa34ff252e68b.gif

04-Jan-20

Annony Mouse's embedded Photo
Snow Fox...Carrie Wild
Snow Fox...Carrie Wild
Henry...my daughter Carrie has painted a number of foxes.

I have a Fox Red labrador and she lives up to her name...she's been diving into the snow banks after small rodents. We've seen a number of foxes (easier with all the snow) and watched them hunting while driving through the parks.

05-Jan-20

HA/KS's embedded Photo
HA/KS's embedded Photo

05-Jan-20
^^^^

HA!!!!!! Got to agree. When you run out of places to improve, you lend out a helping hand to others.

05-Jan-20
Jack, that painting looks like it came out of the video I shared. Very great talent she has.

05-Jan-20

Henry...here's another. These are older work. If interested, you can see some of her newer works at Gallerywild.com. She spends a lot of time out in the parks photographing animals for reference for her work. I have to laugh as she has brought more and more color into her art, she always assures me that her critters are still "conformationally correct"!

Love watching foxes. Back in Michigan, we had a den that we could watch the young kits play. Carrie and Jason have led photographic tours to Churchill, Manitoba to photograph polar bears. She has some neat photos of both red and arctic foxes...several where the foxes came up to check out their camera equipment.

I was out on snowshoes with Ruby this morning and breaking a trail through about 2' snow. Ruby was diving fox style into the drifts just like a fox. The area is called "Fox Run", but I have yet to see either sign or a fox.

05-Jan-20

Diary of a snow shoveler

December 8 - 6:00 PM It started to snow. The first snow of the season and the wife and I took our cocktails and sat for hours by the window watching the huge soft flakes drift down from heaven. It looked like a Grandma Moses Print. So romantic we felt like newlyweds again. I love snow!

December 9 We woke to a beautiful blanket of crystal white snow covering every inch of the landscape. What a fantastic sight! Can there be a lovelier place in the whole world? Moving here was the best idea I've ever had! Shoveled for the first time in years and felt like a boy again. I did both our driveway and the sidewalks. This afternoon the snowplow came along and covered up the sidewalks and closed in the driveway, so I got to shovel again. What a perfect life!

December 12 The sun has melted all our lovely snow. Such a disappointment! My neighbor tells me not to worry- we'll definitely have a white Christmas. No snow on Christmas would be awful! Bob says we'll have so much snow by the end of winter, that I'll never want to see snow again I don't think that's possible. Bob is such a nice man, I'm glad he's our neighbor.

December 14 Snow, lovely snow! 8 inches last night. The temperature dropped to -20. The cold makes everything sparkle so. The wind took my breath away, but I warmed up by shoveling the driveway and sidewalks. This is the life! The snowplow came back this afternoon and buried everything again. I didn't realize I would have to do quite this much shoveling, but I'll certainly get back in shape this way. I wish l wouldn't huff and puff so.

December 15 20 inches forecast. Sold my van and bought a 4x4 Blazer. Bought snow tires for the wife's car and 2 extra shovels. Stocked the freezer. The wife wants a wood stove in case the electricity goes out. I think that's silly. We aren't in Alaska, after all.

December 16 Ice storm this morning. Fell on my ass on the ice in the driveway putting down salt. Hurt like hell. The wife laughed for an hour, which I think was very cruel.

December 17 Still way below freezing. Roads are too icy to go anywhere. Electricity was off for 5 hours. I had to pile the blankets on to stay warm. Nothing to do but stare at the wife and try not to irritate her. Guess I should've bought a wood stove, but won't admit it to her. God I hate it when she's right. I can't believe I'm freezing to death in my own living room.

December 20 Electricity's back on, but had another 14 inches of the damn stuff last night. More shoveling! Took all day. The damn snowplow came by twice. Tried to find a neighbor kid to shovel, but they said they're too busy playing hockey. I think they're lying. Called the only hardware store around to see about buying a snow blower and they're out. Might have another shipment in March. I think they're lying. Bob says I have to shovel or the city will have it done and bill me. I think he's lying.

December 22 Bob was right about a white Christmas because 13 more inches of the white shit fell today, and it's so cold, it probably won't melt till August. Took me 45 minutes to get all dressed up to go out to shovel and then I had to piss. By the time I got undressed, pissed and dressed again. I was too tired to shovel. Tried to hire Bob who has a plow on his truck for the rest of the winter, but he says he's too busy. I think the asshole is lying.

December 23 Only 2 inches of snow today And it warmed up to 0. The wife wanted me to decorate the front of the house this morning. What is she, nuts?!! Why didn't she tell me to do that a month ago? She says she did but I think she's lying.

December 24 6 inches - Snow packed so hard by snowplow, l broke the shovel. Thought I was having a heart attack. If I ever catch the son of a bitch who drives that snow plow, I'll drag him through the snow by his balls and beat him to death with my broken shovel. I know he hides around the corner and waits for me to finish shoveling and then he comes down the street at a 100 miles an hour and throws snow all over where I've just been! Tonight the wife wanted me to sing Christmas carols with her and open our presents, but I was too busy watching for the damn snowplow.

December 25 Merry freaking Christmas! 20 more inches of the damn slop tonight -Snowed in. The idea of shoveling makes my blood boil. God, I hate the snow! Then the snowplow driver came by asking for a donation and I hit him over the head with my shovel. The wife says I have a bad attitude. I think she's an idiot. If I have to watch "It's A Wonderful Life" one more time, I'm going to stuff her into the microwave.

December 26 Still snowed in. Why the hell did I ever move here? It was all HER idea. She's really getting on my nerves.

December 27 Temperature dropped to -30 and the pipes froze; plumber came after 14 hours of waiting for him, he only charged me $1,400 to replace all my pipes.

December 28 Warmed up to above -20. Still snowed in. The BITCH is driving me crazy!!!

December 29 10 more inches. Bob says I have to shovel the roof or it could cave in. That's the silliest thing I ever heard. How dumb does he think I am?

December 30 Roof caved in. I beat up the snow plow driver, and now he is suing me for a million dollars, not only the beating I gave him, but also for trying to shove the broken snow shovel up his ass. The wife went home to her mother. Nine more inches predicted.

December 31 I set fire to what's left of the house. No more shoveling.

January 8 Feel so good. I just love those little white pills they keep giving me. Why am I tied to the bed?

06-Jan-20

HA/KS's embedded Photo
HA/KS's embedded Photo

06-Jan-20

Salagi's embedded Photo
Salagi's embedded Photo
I drive by this place on the bus route everyday. I've gotten a chuckle out of the placement ever since they put the campaign sign up. Finally stopped today and took a picture.

06-Jan-20

HA/KS's embedded Photo
HA/KS's embedded Photo

06-Jan-20
You know the difference between Donald Trump and Colin Kaepernick?

Trump can put it right between the numbers from way downfield. He can find his target in traffic.

06-Jan-20

06-Jan-20

HA/KS's embedded Photo
HA/KS's embedded Photo

07-Jan-20

07-Jan-20

08-Jan-20

HA/KS's embedded Photo
HA/KS's embedded Photo
"NEWS: Kansas bowhunter, Brian Butcher, harvested a whitetail buck in October 2019 that just recently earned an unofficial net non-typical score of 321 3/8 inches. If accepted and verified by the Boone and Crockett Club, the rack would rank fourth in the world for non-typical whitetail deer."

08-Jan-20

HA/KS's embedded Photo
HA/KS's embedded Photo

08-Jan-20

08-Jan-20

HA/KS's embedded Photo
As Part Of Settlement With Nick Sandmann, CNN Hosts Must Wear MAGA Hats During All Broadcasts
HA/KS's embedded Photo
As Part Of Settlement With Nick Sandmann, CNN Hosts Must Wear MAGA Hats During All Broadcasts
Gotta love Babylon Bee

09-Jan-20

slade's embedded Photo
slade's embedded Photo

09-Jan-20

Woods Walker's embedded Photo
...and his boss.....

09-Jan-20

09-Jan-20
^^^^Yeppers...and could well be applied to Democrat traitors^^^^

09-Jan-20

09-Jan-20

09-Jan-20

09-Jan-20

09-Jan-20

HA/KS's embedded Photo
HA/KS's embedded Photo

10-Jan-20

10-Jan-20

10-Jan-20

10-Jan-20

10-Jan-20

10-Jan-20

10-Jan-20

10-Jan-20

10-Jan-20

10-Jan-20

10-Jan-20

10-Jan-20

10-Jan-20

HA/KS's embedded Photo
HA/KS's embedded Photo

11-Jan-20

HA/KS's embedded Photo
HA/KS's embedded Photo

HA/KS's Link
Stage Coach Mary was born into slavery in TN and named Mary Fields. Her slave master was a Judge. Mary was a 6 ft, 250lb woman who knew how to shoot, carried a pistol and rifle on her at all times, drank whiskey, smoked cigars, didn’t take shit from anyone, and was extremely hard working, loyal and intellegent.

Once freed, she worked for a convent and then went to building stone buildings, and a church. I mention the stone buildings because the work was manual and meant that the heavy stones often had to be carried physically by the men, and by Mary. Mary was not scared of labor intensive work and refused the help of men, preferring instead to carry large rock boulders on her back.

Mary didn’t back down and would stand up to fight any man. Because of her swearing, whiskey drinking, cigar smoking, and the fact that Mary liked to dress like a man to be comfortable, word got to her employer at a convent, and Mary lost her job and was asked to leave. However, this turned out to be a blessing in disguise as she was asked to become a mail carrier in Montana in the small town of Cascade. Mary was the first Black resident of Cascade, and the only one during her residency.

Mail carriers had to be ever vigilant to not be robbed at gun point, and she sometimes had to go into “hostile” territories, so the position was created for her. Mary would hitch her own horses to the stagecoach, load up the hundreds of pounds of mail, and then trek through snow, in the rain, through streams, on ice, and rocky roads. She also traveled alone usually, and wasn’t intimidated by traveling men or Native Americans. Mary was 60 years old at the time and maneuvered through uncharted territory to deliver mail and took her job seriously. Mary never missed a day of work and was said to have strapped the heavy bundles of mail to her back and walk through the snow with it when the stagecoach couldn’t make it through. Mary worked well into her 70’s.

She died in her late 80’s and had the largest funeral in the history of the town. Everyone knew Mary and while it was true that Mary had had quite a few scuffles in her time, Mary was known for her generosity to help anyone in need, mostly children.

Mary is an inspiration to women that refuse to live by the rules, and in roles created for us, by men. She died being true to herself, living as she pleased without hurting anyone, unless they came looking for it.

Mary Fields - Stagecoach Mary: 1832 - 1914

Mary Fields, the first Black woman to become a USPS mail carrier in the history of the United States.

For more information about Mary Fields, watch documentary Discovering Mary made by Joyce Marie Fitzpatrick!

Photo: Mary Fields and one of her dogs.

11-Jan-20

HA/KS's embedded Photo
HA/KS's embedded Photo

12-Jan-20
Henry...don't you just love "un-told history" stories like that? Thanks for a few enjoyable moments reading about Mary.

12-Jan-20
Late fall and the Indians on a remote reservation in North Dakota asked their new chief if the coming winter was going to be cold or mild.

Since he was a chief in a modern society, he had never been taught the old secrets. When he looked at the sky, he couldn’t tell what the winter was going to be like. Nevertheless, to be on the safe side, he told his tribe that the winter was indeed going to be cold and that the members of the village should collect firewood to be prepared. But, being a practical leader, after several days, he got an idea.

He went to the phone booth, called the National Weather Service and asked, “Is the coming winter going to be cold?”

“It looks like this winter is going to be quite cold,” he was responded.

So the chief went back to his people and told them to collect even more firewood in order to be prepared.

A week later, he called the National Weather Service again, “Does it still look like it is going to be a very cold winter?”

“Yes,” the man at National Weather Service again replied, “it’s going to be a very cold winter.”

The chief again went back to his people and ordered them to collect every scrap of firewood they could find.

Two weeks later, the chief called the National Weather Service again. “Are you absolutely sure that the winter is going to be very cold?”

“Absolutely,” the man replied. “It’s looking more and more like it is going to be one of the coldest winters we’ve ever seen.”

“How can you be so sure?” the chief asked.

The weatherman replied, “The Indians are collecting a shitload of firewood.”

12-Jan-20

13-Jan-20

HA/KS's embedded Photo
HA/KS's embedded Photo

13-Jan-20

13-Jan-20

14-Jan-20

HA/KS's embedded Photo
HA/KS's embedded Photo

14-Jan-20

16-Jan-20

HA/KS's embedded Photo
HA/KS's embedded Photo

16-Jan-20

HA/KS's embedded Photo
HA/KS's embedded Photo

16-Jan-20

HA/KS's embedded Photo
HA/KS's embedded Photo

16-Jan-20

HA/KS's embedded Photo
HA/KS's embedded Photo

16-Jan-20

Democrat committee members convene in private as the Speaker of the House loads a bowl for the group's partaking of celebratory bong hits before officially signing off on the Articles of Impeachment and delivery to the Senate Chamber. The most amazing feature of this historic photo is that it shows Nancy Pelosi actually cast a reflection in the mirror.

16-Jan-20
Now this is certainly common sense:

Suggestion: collect them from any proREGRESSIVEs you come in contact with.

17-Jan-20

HA/KS's embedded Photo
HA/KS's embedded Photo

17-Jan-20

HA/KS's embedded Photo
HA/KS's embedded Photo

17-Jan-20

HA/KS's embedded Photo
HA/KS's embedded Photo

17-Jan-20

HA/KS's embedded Photo
HA/KS's embedded Photo

18-Jan-20

18-Jan-20

18-Jan-20
Her Therapeutic Candles Bear Strong Overtones Of Pungent Sun-Ripened Mackerel With Complementary Aromas of Sharp Cheese, Ammonia Bread, Fruity Pebbles And Sliced Raw Onion.

It will flush out all tear ducts and burn away any nose hair, almost instantly.

18-Jan-20

18-Jan-20

18-Jan-20
That last one is entirely true!

19-Jan-20

19-Jan-20

20-Jan-20

HA/KS's embedded Photo
HA/KS's embedded Photo

20-Jan-20

HA/KS's embedded Photo
HA/KS's embedded Photo

20-Jan-20
New Earrings For Progressive Men

These will come in handy on election night, 2020.

20-Jan-20
HAPPY CHINESE NEW YEAR!

20-Jan-20

20-Jan-20

21-Jan-20

HA/KS's embedded Photo
HA/KS's embedded Photo

21-Jan-20

22-Jan-20

22-Jan-20

22-Jan-20

22-Jan-20

HA/KS's embedded Photo
HA/KS's embedded Photo

23-Jan-20

HA/KS's embedded Photo
HA/KS's embedded Photo

23-Jan-20

23-Jan-20

23-Jan-20

23-Jan-20
Blasts from the past - lest we forget.

23-Jan-20

23-Jan-20

HA/KS's embedded Photo
HA/KS's embedded Photo

23-Jan-20

HA/KS's embedded Photo
HA/KS's embedded Photo

23-Jan-20

HA/KS's embedded Photo
HA/KS's embedded Photo

23-Jan-20

HA/KS's embedded Photo
HA/KS's embedded Photo

24-Jan-20

25-Jan-20

25-Jan-20

26-Jan-20
An older couple decides to retire for the evening. The husband was almost asleep as his head hit his pillow, but his wife felt a little romantic and wanted to talk.

She says, “You know, when we were courting, you liked to hold my hand”.

Wearily, he reaches across and holds her hand for a few seconds, and then tries to get back to sleep.

A few moments later she says, “After that, you used to kiss me softly”.

Mildly irritated, he turns over and gives her a peck on the cheek and again settles down for the night.

Thirty seconds later she says, “Then after that, you used to bite me lightly on my neck”.

Angrily, he throws back the bed covers and gets out of bed.

“Where are you going?” she asks.

“To get my teeth!”

26-Jan-20
Don't you hate this when it happens to your umbrella?

26-Jan-20

26-Jan-20

26-Jan-20

27-Jan-20
The brilliant lawyer F. E. Smith once defended a bus driver against claims that his negligence had caused injury to a young man's arm.

"Will you please show us how high you can lift your arm now?" Smith asked the plaintiff.

The young man obediently raised his arm to shoulder level, his face contorted with apparent pain.

"Thank you," said Smith. "And now, please, will you show us how high you could lift it before the accident?"

The man's arm shot above his head.

27-Jan-20

27-Jan-20

27-Jan-20

And on thread topic of common sense....

27-Jan-20

27-Jan-20

27-Jan-20
HA^^^^^

27-Jan-20
LMAO! Jack for the win!

28-Jan-20

HA/KS's embedded Photo
HA/KS's embedded Photo

28-Jan-20

HA/KS's embedded Photo
HA/KS's embedded Photo
Neat shot from Kansas snow today. Photo by Mary Lehman St. Francis KS.

28-Jan-20

P&Y Maybe? ;-)
P&Y Maybe? ;-)
That's neat Henry!

Here's one from the front of my truck.

28-Jan-20

HA/KS's embedded Photo
HA/KS's embedded Photo

28-Jan-20
A kind, honest, hardworking man was running for political office (hey it's a joke remember). After a particularly grueling day of campaigning, he came home and plopped down in his chair. All at once a fairy appeared in front of him and said, "You have been working so hard on your campaign I am here to grant you one wish. But, whatever you wish for, your opponent will get twice as much.

The man thought a minute and replied, "I'm half dead already, I'll just ask to stay the same."

28-Jan-20
Henry...common sight here on the homes with metal roofs. People are starting to shovel snow off the roofs due to snow load.

29-Jan-20

HA/KS's embedded Photo
HA/KS's embedded Photo
Of course gun control will disarm criminals.

29-Jan-20

30-Jan-20

30-Jan-20
A lawyer named Strange passed away. His friend asked the tombstone maker to inscribe on his tombstone, "Here lies Strange, an honest man, and a lawyer."

The inscriber insisted that such an inscription would be confusing, for a passerby would tend to think that three men were buried under the stone.

However, he suggested an alternative. He would inscribe, "Here lies a man who was both honest and a lawyer."

That way, whenever anyone walked by the tombstone and read it, they would be certain to remark, "That's Strange."

30-Jan-20

HA/KS's embedded Photo
HA/KS's embedded Photo

30-Jan-20

HA/KS's embedded Photo
HA/KS's embedded Photo
Car in Sweden. They’ve had enough of her also

30-Jan-20

HA/KS's embedded Photo
HA/KS's embedded Photo

30-Jan-20

HA/KS's embedded Photo
HA/KS's embedded Photo

30-Jan-20
“One Has Too Little While The Other Has Too Much! The Well-Off Must Share With Those Less Fortunate!”

Your move, Cortez.

30-Jan-20

31-Jan-20

• Sitka Gear