Notme 03-Jan-20
GF 03-Jan-20
Thisismyhandle 03-Jan-20
Toonces 03-Jan-20
Thisismyhandle 03-Jan-20
GF 03-Jan-20
Hunter3 05-Jan-20
01-Jan-20
I'm pretty sure this topic has been posted before, maybe even multiple times. But since I have no interest in combing through all the past posts, looking for peoples opinions and the season ended yesterday, I'm starting a new thread. State law says we have to take down our stands every year after the season ends. Does everyone do that? What should you do if in say May, you scout a area and find multiple treestands in a good area? Do you hang one also or leave it alone? What if its during the season and you find a good area but theres a stand there that clearly hasn't been touched in years? Do you go for it? Its state land, we cant just say this area is mine and that's it. But we do have to respect another hunters space.

01-Jan-20
This, I try to hunt areas AWAY from other hunters and I carry in/out my climbing stand each trip to the woods. If I do find another hunter in or near my spot, I leave. More than once I would see a light in the morning darkness at a tree, and I would turn back and find another spot.

A few years ago I went to a new area in NW corner and found 3 stands surrounding one small area. Two of them had the tree growing around them they had been there so long.

I think CT should require each hunter to label their stands with the name, address and contact info. I think that would change the practice of staking out an area.

01-Jan-20
Bob - That would be a good idea but many people wouldn't comply. One of the existing rules for getting an Aquarion permit is that your stand needs to be removed at the end of the season, and when in place, you need to have owner information clearly visible on it from the ground. This last week I was there and found 3 or 4 stands without any identification on them. A couple looked abandoned. Probably too much hassle for them to enforce.

01-Jan-20
"Two of them had the tree growing around them they had been there so long. "

Had one of those at a local state land spot, was simply and eyesore that should have been removed/cut down long ago.

Bob, Do you really think a CO is going to climb the tree to read a label? How about climbers only on state land? Do you want to go back to wearing your license number on your back?

01-Jan-20
Where does state law say stands have to be taken down?? I saw a reminder to take them down on the dep website, but am not aware of any specific law that says to take them down. It would be nice if there was one.

01-Jan-20
Okay you're right. It's not a state law. But that only raises more questions. If a stand is left up all year bc they dont need to take it down, what gives the hunter the right to just stake permanent claim to that spot?

01-Jan-20
^^^^^^ this

01-Jan-20
WB, several other states require (NH for one) that your information be on your stand AND arrows. You don't put it at the top, but posted at the bottom of the stand.

I still have my license holder for my back and have no problem with it. Don't see the need, but would still do it.

01-Jan-20
Take a chainsaw with you when you go scouting..cut a wedge on one side but leave it in..that way when the owner of said offending stand sees his stand in danger he'll surely remove it..if its still there by the season opener just kick out the wedge and yell "four"..its a win win..you're happy the offending stand is down, animals are happy cause more sunlight = more food..easy

01-Jan-20
But I'd be unhappy if I end up getting hauled away in handcuffs for destruction of state property. As used to handcuffs that my wrists are, its unappealing. I've got a nice 5.5 year streak to protect.

01-Jan-20
Should be climbers only on state land. No ladders or hang ons. If you can set up a ladder or climbing sticks and stand you can hussle your ass up a tree with a climber. “Take out what you take in” is what the signs say in state parks and forest. This is why I gave up on state land years ago.

01-Jan-20
You can take in and take out a hang on stand. It's not much more work than a climber.

01-Jan-20
Point being, it would be a whole lot more fun hunting state land if it were illegal to leave a stand parked overnight, or better yet, make it illegal to leave a stand in place unoccupied/unattended... Leave what type it is up to the hunter who has to pack it in and out and set it up.

I hunted ML season one year up towards Hartford and spent 3 1/2 full days on the ground looking for an area where I could not look around and see multiple stands.. Using binocs, I could typically count six, at which point I would just move on along.

Screw that. I no longer have ANY inclination toward worrying about whether there are stands around or not, unless there is somebody IN one. In that case, I’ll apologize to the other hunter for crowding them and swing in a wide arc around him (or her, as the case may be).

We simply don’t have enough public ground to allow anyone to stake a claim on a spot in this state, and the belief that we somehow “should” be able to only creates potential between people who are just about guaranteed to be armed. And that’s a disaster waiting to happen.

02-Jan-20
That's quite possibly the best answer yet. I totally agree with not leaving stands unattended for any period of time on state land. Pack in/pack out every time.

02-Jan-20
I used to take stands at the end of Archery up here (MA) and before gun, as they mysteriously vanished when gun hunters hit the woods. Ditto cameras. But over the years I use fixed stands less. I used one a few times last year, but otherwise, I dont think I've set one up the few years before and not this year. Increasingly, I'm thinking they are private land only tools, but still would be a out at the end of the season deal if I used one.

I use climbers for the vast majority of my hunting at this point. I'm going to try a saddle next year, and that will be 100% in and out every hunt, just like climbers.

May not be popular, but I do think on state land a bring it in and take it out rule should be there. To many guys put up a stand, or many stands in an area and leave it all year or multiple years and act like its "their" spot. It can create conflicts, and definitely eye sores.

There are plenty of good stands that could come and go every hunt for most folks.

Does that mean some hunters would not be able to hunt elevated due to a challenge preventing them from hanging every time? Maybe, maybe they need to hunt from the ground or try a ghille suit instead. No rule will make all of us happy, and I admit that would frustrate me when I get to the point that climbing is not realistic any longer.

But big picture, it feels that bring and take makes the most sense.

02-Jan-20
Matt,

Good answer with regard to leaving unoccupied stands; with regard to leaving them overnight I have, on occasion left a climber overnight. Those occasions were in cases where I was hunting an area in the afternoon would the plan being to return either to the same area or another stand location in the same area the very next morning.

In those cases I opted to leave my climber attached to the tree as this would minimize my working up a good sweat walking in the following morning. Upon completing the morning hunt I'd pack everything out.

I completely agree with those who's position is that no one has a right to stake out (long-term) a spot on state land; it should always be a first-come, first-served affair and hunting etiquette should result in any hunter finding someone in a spot moving on to another spot and not in close proximity to the initial spot as to possibly impact the first hunter there.

To conclude, to Bob's point this is why I also hunt well off the beaten path on state land; if you walk at least 45 minutes in before you even consider a spot I've found the odds of encountering another hunter mirror the odds of spending $1 and buying a winning lottery ticket.

When I hunt this way (and I'm sure Bob will echo this) I feel as though I am the only variable in the hunting equation and I know I can control what I do in the area I'm hunting.

Happy New Year everyone!

02-Jan-20
First of all.. It is State Land no one has a claim to any area. There is a difference between having a stand in an area and hunting in an area. I setup multiple hang-on stands. I can only hunt one at a time. So the fact that my stand is in another area should not prevent another hunter from hunting that area. Now if I am in my stand, I would expect that another hunter would go to a different area. What would concern me is someone stinking up the place if they did not have good scent control. In regards to someone saying Climbers only. I dis-agree. Some people do not feel comfortable in climbers. Climbers are limited to completely straight trees with no lower limbs. They are generally more expensive than hang-ons for those with limited budgets. If I have differnt morning and evening stand locations, I do not want to incur the additional noise of moving and resetting up the climber. I do not want to expend the energy and get sweated up packing them in and out each time. We don't put restrictions on the bows we use, we should not put them on the type of Stand unless it is No stands at all on state land. Having said all of that. I do not put my stands in until August at the earliest and I take them out as soon as I decide I am done hunting for the season. The chances of your stand being taken on State Land is higher, so I leave them in for the minimal amount of time.

02-Jan-20
Garbanzo, over the years (51 of them bow hunting) I learned that heading out earlier, walking slower, taking my time, results in no sweat entry into my climbing stand. I carry in my Summit climber with hand climber, backpack containing food, extra down vest, calls, range finder, knife, etc and even at the age of 69 I don't sweat. So my advice would be slow down, relax, and enjoy the walk in.

Mike and I share a process that greatly reduces the "Hunter in my spot" issue. The three stands I saw a few years ago in that small area were no more than 100 yards from the road! I bet these guys could keep an eye on their cars once they were up in their stands.

When I hunted near Wangum Lake I obtained permission from the water co to cross their property on the east side of the lake. It took me 45 minutes of steady walking just to reach state land! I saw one guy in there over the 20 years or so I hunted that area, and he was poaching with a rifle on state land.

State land can be frustrating, but you have to either get private land permission, or walk further in on state land.

02-Jan-20
Bob... I hunt the Q River state park. 99% or the guys hunting there park off the parkway even though it is prohibited. Very few places there deeper than 100 yards from the highway. I don't park off the highway because I obey the law, so my walk is somewhere between 3/4 and 1.5 miles depending on my stand locations. That parcel is long and thin and the only ways to get in are A) break the rules and park off the parkway. B) Canoe in from the river (don't own a canoe) or C) Walk a long way from ether Bantam street or Tolles rd. However, I then need to deal with the guys who park off the parkway so I am trying to get to my stand as quick as I can so I can 'claim' that spot for the day. Unfortunately, I'm one of those people who just do not walk slowly. Also, I tend to do all day in the stand hunts so I pack extra stuff. I hear what you are saying, it is just my natural gait is quick. If I try to slow down I either have to get up 1/2 to 1 hour earlier or risk someone being in the area I want to hunt before me. On day 4 of a week long hunt that extra loss of sleep adds up. I'd rather walk in quicker with light clothes and a light sweat, then change into warm dry clothes at the base of my stand, than lose the spot I want to hunt.

02-Jan-20
Garbanzo, I give you credit, I could never hunt an area like that. That's almost like hunting in the backyard of a FF county home, just not for me.

This past Saturday, my last day out for the season, I still hunted an area that I hunted before on the north side of a small pond. Never saw lots of buck sign so I didn't continue to hunt there consistently. Well, I decided to walk in the thin woods along the access road on the south side, and walk around the pond. I saw rubs and scrapes for the next several hundred yards, it was loaded with sign; but I won't hunt there.

I'm looking for a hunting experience that doesn't include cars, leaf blowers, school buses, dog walkers, etc. I'd rather see less deer that hunt a backyard type of set up. Just me!

02-Jan-20
TIMH, do not overlook some spots where you find old wooden stands. They are typically excellent starting spots. Someone took the time to haul all that wood in there and put them up. Look for spikes in a tree, broken 2x4’s at the base of a tree or even the remnants of the stand still up in the tree. I’ve killed a lot of deer within sight of these spots on state land.....I have also shot deer a long time ago right from these stands. I can recall three such stands.

I have also run into areas where I’ve found old hang-on stands. Really look hard at them, see if the strap is buried into the tree. See if the steps are still there. See if the tree is growing into the steps. Most times you can tell if someone just left it there. You can also write a note, put it in a ziplock and tie it to the stand with a message to the owner if you want a response. Otherwise, just go hunt. If you run into someone I’d be surprised, although it might happen. Very very rare during bow season.

Climbers are great. I typically walk as fast and steady as I can into my spots in the mornings. Get up and get set. Yes you sweat, I carry jackets and undershirts on my stand and will get dressed once I’m up and set.....but if you walk slow and you’re way in, it will take you a long time to get where you want. And you still sweat. Most people can do a mile in 22-25 mins. at a good pace in the woods. So you do the math as to how far you’re walking and how hilly the terrain is.

02-Jan-20
“with regard to leaving them overnight I have, on occasion left a climber overnight. Those occasions were in cases where I was hunting an area in the afternoon would the plan being to return either to the same area or another stand location in the same area the very next morning.”

I hear you and agree in principle..... But you know how that’s going to play out, right?

02-Jan-20
Matt,

I can see someone arguing that's no different than someone setting up a stand and basically "claiming" the spot; as anything in life there's no perfect solution and always a different way of looking at the same thing.

What I would add is that the few (and I'm talking about 3 times in about a 10 year period, none in the past 10 years) times I did this I was back the next morning about an hour and a half before sunrise, well before most other hunters would be anywhere near those spots. The difference the past 10 years being I decided it was better to just go much further in, dress only in minimal layers and finish dressing when I got to my hunting location.

Thanks for the feedback!

02-Jan-20
Just curious and not trying to be a dick. But why don't you just start asking around for permission. Look at ONX maps and send letters with an envelope stamped with your return address. They either throw it away or send a yes or no back to you.

I only hunt private land, would never get up early to take a chance on another Hunter ruining my hunt. There must be a landowner around everyone that is fine with Bow and arrow hunting. I loose spots every year due to weekend NY'ers selling all the time. I spoil the crap out of the landowner with lobster, venison and my good looks. Well maybe it's just the lobster .

With today's technology you can get access without knocking on the door.

Just my opinion. It's worked for me since 1985.

Private Land is Hard to come by, easy to lose.

02-Jan-20
I’m claiming my spot at Hammonasset state beach next season. Setting up my beach umbrella and chairs on Memorial Day and leaving it there til Labor Day (maybe longer). Plenty of other spaces for y’all. Don’t touch my sh*t!

03-Jan-20
Bob, This might sound crazy, but I actually think that hunting in spots like the Q River SP give me an advantage. First of all, every time that area floods (which is often) a bunch of new crap gets washed in. There is the constant background noise of the Wilbur Cross Pkwy and once the leaves drops you can see the cars going by. So in my opinion, the deer are accustom to a constantly changing environment with changing background noise and exhaust fumes and always see movement at an elevated level. So I think that masks my sent a bit and makes any movements the deer might catch of me seem normal. The only time I remember spooking a deer in there was when I was walking in one day and I was on the ground.

03-Jan-20
NE Hunter,

For me, "spoiling landowners" got old. I leased for years. Then I did chores for other landowners who wouldn't take cash. After a while, I just got sick of getting calls to bring a load of trash to the dump or cut a lawn on my day off or trying to police trespassers. At least on public land I can just go hunting and not worry about the additional baggage.

03-Jan-20
i will never let someone hanging a stand to "claim" an area stop me from hunting....I hunt with a climber so chances are I was there before them anyway

i have found most of the time I find a stand in an area I hunt no one ever hunts it

now if I pull in and someone is there...I will have a plan b for that area or go to another spot....

03-Jan-20
Garbanzo, see that, I learned something new! Having never hunted in that type of environment I had no idea of the advantages.

03-Jan-20
You would be surprised bob on how much you can get away with but its not all that easy peasy either..snap a twig, move too fast , cough and they pick you right off..on the other hand ill try a can, grunt a 20 piece marching bad 30 yrds away and they can't hear me..go figure

03-Jan-20
Silly question - is there any state land open for deer now, or is it all small game & coyotes?

03-Jan-20
Gf, I dont think so.

I dont think seeing stands left up will prevent me from hunting a area. But I do think that they shouldn't be left up all year round. I went to spot today and found 7 stands all within a 3 minute walk of each other. 4 hang ons, 2 climbers and a ladder stand. The ladder stand and one hang on clearly hadn't been touched in multiple years. 2 brand new climbers cable locked to the base of trees. It's pretty ridiculous that people spend hundreds of dollars on stands just to abandon them. And really, if anyone wanted those climbers, a sawzall with a metal blade will make quick work of the cable. The state should make it law that all stands be removed or they'll be cut down and confiscated.

03-Jan-20
Out of curiosity are most of the public land places where people are finding large amounts of stands in Fairfield county? I hardly run into any stands where I hunt. I also hardly run into any deer, so probably a correlation.

03-Jan-20
The area I was at was in windham county.

03-Jan-20
When I found myself fenced in by them, I was a ways North of 95, headed for Hartford. So just out of FFC, I think.

I would LOVE to see the state come in and clean them out, but of course there’s no practical way for them to do that…. And I have a feeling that doing it on a “volunteer” basis might strain the distinction between Volunteer and Vigilante.... and outright Theft.

Which could turn ugly. Maybe even as ugly as a whole bunch of derelict stands cluttering up the forest....

05-Jan-20
There is a small section on "Tree Stands on State Properties" on p 26 of the 2020 Hunting Guide. It basically says that "the construction or placement of permanent involving damage to any tree or shrub is prohibited. The use of potable tree stands (climber, ladder, or hang-on) is permissible. However, all tree stands must be removed from state properties at the conclusion of the hunting season". Enforcement like many of CT rules/regs/laws is difficult and not a priority.

In a case like Thisismyhandle's, contacting DEEP/ECON would be a reasonable 1st step. They might take some action, especially where so many were reported. I have used abandoned stands before with no issue but you do need a plan B just in case. If I know I'll be using one I definitely have some new straps with me for safety reasons.

• Sitka Gear