David Mitchell 02-Jan-20
Koogie 03-Jan-20
Jack Whitmrie jr 04-Jan-20
gobbler 05-Jan-20
hookman 05-Jan-20
Koogie 06-Jan-20
Babysaph 07-Jan-20
01-Jan-20
I think that as we start a new year and a new century, it would be nice to give some advice to anyone new to the sport that we have acquired over the years.

I would also like your suggestions for topic ideas, but for this first one let's just kinda make it a catch-all of your best ideas.

01-Jan-20
I'll start. If you can, buy local. Sure, things may cost a little more than at the big retailers, but the relationships you will build will more than trump the extra costs. You will get better warranty service, your questions answered, and a better experience.

02-Jan-20
I agree with Deerslayer....I would say--don't over-bow yourself. It doesn't take 60 or 70# to kill a deer. That's a sure way to develop very bad habits.

03-Jan-20
Years ago, to alleviate target fright, I started working on developing a rhythm in lieu of attempting to shoot quarter size groupings. I decide where I need to hit the deer first, even before drawing. Then, without looking a the deer I draw my bow, lock my hand at the anchor point, center my pin, then lowering my bow by bending at the waist, place the pin on my target and fire. Prior to my rhythm, I used to center the pin while looking at the animal and it's actually not easy to do, so get yourself ready and aligned like you shooting a target straight out in front of you then drop down and over to your target then fire. Maybe it'll work for you, maybe it won't but I haven't missed in 20 years and I've killed many deer (at least 40+).

04-Jan-20
When shooting at a deer: 1) Pick out a hair to shoot at , not entire deer 2) Take only broadside or slightly quartering away shots ( don't do as they do on tv) 3) Keep your shots close -deer do move while arrow is in flight 4) Shoot only at relaxed deer - again deer move 5) Learn when to draw , it seems like a no brainer buy...……. 6) Enjoy the adrenaline

05-Jan-20
Find an older experienced bowhunter in your area and ask for help. They may be very willing to help mentor you in exchange for help hanging stands etc. everyone can offer good tips and advice but nothing is as good as spending time with a successful veteran hunter.

Many outdoor groups like QDMA, NWTF, etc have been doing mentoring programs for a few years now to help recruit new hunters. Might be a good program for a state Bowhunting organization to do.

05-Jan-20
Whatever you shoot, a compound ,recurve or longbow do not overdo it on weight. Sure you might be able to shoot a lot of weight when you are young but it will tell on you as you get older.

06-Jan-20

Koogie's embedded Photo
Koogie's embedded Photo
1. Never shoot a deer coming to you, it's a rotten shot and you stand a good chance of a bad blood trail. 2. Take quartering away shots, make sure where you aim causes the arrow to exit the deer behind the far shoulder. Done right it's the most effective shot. 3. Take broad side shots right behind the shoulder half way or lower twixt the back and chest. 4. Spend some time watching deer, you don't have to shoot everything. This will give you practice getting you heart rate down so you don't make stupid decisions like shooting thru a tree just to get a shot. It's better to let the deer live than to spend hours boogering up you favorite spot looking for him. 5. Don't be afraid to let the deer lie there overnight if you have too rather than jumping him looking for him, that is if you didn't screw up in number 4. After 45 minutes or so after a shot, get down look at the arrow. If you see lots of blood extending out from his tracks, usually it's ok to start the search. If you see dibble, dabble dark blood, back out and give him time. Don't let your over anxious brain tell you dabble blood is good blood. Never hurts to wait.

Here's an example of good blood, don't let your brain lie to you. Shot entered around the second rib and exited 3 inches behind the far shoulder resulting in the deer dying 35 yards away (Liver, both lungs for sure). Some people aim small, I imagine the organ placement and go for that. Know a deer's anatomy, especially the diaphragm (arrow exits on the chest side of the diaphragm, always).

07-Jan-20
All good advice .

• Sitka Gear