Brian M. 06-Jan-20
steve 06-Jan-20
SixLomaz 07-Jan-20
bb 07-Jan-20
Notme 07-Jan-20
GF 07-Jan-20
Bigbuckbob 07-Jan-20
03-Jan-20
Funny thing I’ve noticed in 20 years of looking for private land access around here.... the smaller the property, the easier it is to get the OK.

But is it actually possible to hunt a 2-3 acre patch? And if so, what do you have to do to make it work for you?

Not looking for a wilderness Adventure or Solitude or Sporting Challenge; just wondering what goes into filling a tag or two on a property where the owner has lost a lot of landscaping to a resident doe and her fawns.

Thanks!

03-Jan-20
Not much work really same as "big woods". I try to keep in mind where they come from, where they go and try to figure after the shot where they'll end up..I passed on a lot of deer this year cause I didn't like the situation presented..

03-Jan-20
I think landowner participation is a big factor. Obviously, you can scout the property in about 15 minutes. The landowner can probably tell you exactly where and when the deer are showing up, if on a regular basis. I would also get onto satellite maps to see the terrain off the property, food sources, funnels, etc. For a small property, think outside the box, you may be 'hunting' off the deck, or kids swing set. Every time I get a small property, it's usually a bust, but I have a lot of big woods around here. Are your small properties completely clear cut or are 2/3 acres wooded? Backed up against large forest, or one wood line meandering behind many house on each side? I'm sure Steve and Siverado will chime in, that's their type of terrain.

03-Jan-20
Cameras and timing. Good to get neighbor is on board .

03-Jan-20
Corn...the great equalizer

03-Jan-20
My biggest concern is where the deer ends up and the scene it presents to other property owners. Do inform all of the nearby neighbors that they may see a deer dying in their yards? How do you guys handle that?

03-Jan-20
BB if you think you just throw out corn and shoot deer your in la la land maybe a 60 lb skipper , but if your looking for a mature deer you better do your home work !

03-Jan-20
Man I could tell you a bunch of stories about interesting places where deer end up after the shot. Every permission I have currently is 2 acres with the exception of 1 spot. It’s interesting to see how the deer act and react at each spot when human intrusion is added to the equation

03-Jan-20
GF, I'm sure you don't need anyone telling you that each place is unique and has it's pluses and minuses. I suppose if you found a small parcel in a residential area where the deer want to be or is a natural funnel to get to and from larger parcels you could be pretty successful. Absent that, the best way to hunt a spot like that where you would consistently see deer and have opportunity is to bait them. You can do all the homework you want but the reality is if they don't naturally want to be there or have a reason to be there, then you have to draw them there. Bob, What you say to the neighbors and when would depend on the neighbors. Personally I would evaluate the neighbor and make the call. I would tend to worry about what to say to them if and when the situation arises.

03-Jan-20
Yes bb I agree whole heartedly about the neighbors. Like the old saying goes, “sometimes it’s better to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission “. I have actually lived that scenario where I had permission and was all set up to hunt when I thought I should go clue the neighbors in on what I was doing. You know because that’s the kind of guy I am. Anyway, that bit me square in the ass and my landowner called me and told me I got voted off the island. Since then as long as I have permission and am doing everything legal, I only let neighbors know what’s going on when the time is necessary.

03-Jan-20
I believe in "Out of Site out of Mind". I always tell this to the landowner before the season. Being this way it's easier for them so their not worrying about you or the neighborhood.

03-Jan-20
Seriously, Rich?

I’ll come to the game early tonight and hope you’re there! LOL

I bought a Christmas tree from a lady who has a problem with deer eating her shrubs, but I’ll have to check out the property lines on Zillow and figure out what’s back of her back yard.

I’m thinkin’ standard-size 2-blade and shoot for pass-through so they won’t tear off on a death run. Zip-In, Zip-Out and pray that they stand there wondering WTH??

Hope she’s backed up to some open space.... I hate the idea of dealing with a bait pile, but I’m thinking I may be able to compromise long enough to fill the freezer.

03-Jan-20
I work on a need to know basis

03-Jan-20
I hunt state land and last year when my buck walked out of the area and onto private land I was really concerned about approaching the landowner for permission. I was lucky, they were hunters as well and said go ahead and get your buck. Not sure how that same situation plays out in FF county with soccer moms. Thanks for the insight.

03-Jan-20
Yup what they all said...if Steve is up the street on a 2 acre lot baiting and LB is down the street doing the same, bet your ass I'm dumping 500 lbs of corn to keep the venison parade going..lol

I try hitting those spots during the week when most of the hood is off to work, just easier with less bullshit..I've tracked deer thru that strip of no man's land between properties.. I know people have seen me, its when they go into the yards its iffy..

Me and my bro in law set out one day..he stayed at t oy land in my blind I went a mile down..by the time I got there he called to say he shot one..less than 10 minutes..I get back he says it was a good shot but lost sight of it over the stone wall into no mans land..while making our way I spot a doe in the neighbors yard limping bad under the kitchen window that happen to have npr on..F@#k!!!..couldn't see any blood on her..we slowly back track and look for blood..couldn't find any and the doe is still there..blowing and stomping now..only one deer came in he says..while sitting on the wall watching we see a couple of drops of blood on a sapling, then the wall, then into no mans land..the doe is acting strange limping bad and walking in circles..there's a shed tucked into no mans land with a rock behind it..the closer we get the more we realise thats his doe behind the shed..never did see the limping doe again

03-Jan-20
Hide and guts go in a contractor plastic bag and then in your trash bin at your house. Make the shot in such way that the deer dies fast within 50 yards from POI. If they come to you, then wait close to neighbor property and shoot quartering towards or broadside at first deer closest to you and hope they run back. By the time they reach the other neighbor one deer should be dead. Deer always run back where it was safe. You could wait for them to pass the property line and then shoot quartering away hoping they will run away from you towards the far property line. It is fun to test your limits, skill and patience. If you need help let me know.

03-Jan-20
Deer don’t always run back . Most of the time but not always . I have never had a person not let me on there property to track or retrieve a deer . In fact I have picked up spots . that’s why you learn to only take perfect close shots , lol

03-Jan-20
That’s all I’ve ever wanted! Stakes go way up close to property lines, but that’s no reason to be any less careful anywhere else.

Besides - the farther they run, the more likely it is that they’ll dive off the steepest ridge in the area into the thickest crap they can find. Some of ‘em have been downright spiteful about it.

04-Jan-20
The few times I have tried baiting I think the deer got more cautious when the corn was out

04-Jan-20
Definitely no corn as they become nocturnal and cautious.

04-Jan-20
Six, interesting comment. Is having too much food available hurting your chances because deer move less and only at night like Six implied? I know my area was loaded with acorns this year and my deer sightings were way down from last season when there were no acorns to be had.

04-Jan-20

04-Jan-20
From my observations in pressured areas concentrated bait on the ground tends to turn deer nocturnal. On the other hand I hunted fields of standing corn on a weekly basis, sometimes multiple days in a week, only to observe unchanged daytime deer movement. I was the only hunter in the field for entire season. The buck I killed last year came back 3 times within the same week period despite my two previous failed attempts. Go figure deer.

04-Jan-20
This season is a great example of available food, warm temperatures, which equals no need to move during daylight hours. However when the daily moon position is right I’m still getting some daylight movement on my cameras. We definitely need a cold snap.

04-Jan-20
Snow on the ground !

04-Jan-20
Steve and Silverado are some of the best at killing and recovering mature bucks on small parcels. We can all learn from them.

05-Jan-20
Longbeard, you mentioned "when the daily moon position is right" . Can you elaborate as to when that is or might be?

05-Jan-20
Six, you commented that deer always run back where it was safe. Can you elaborate at that a little bit, as the few deer I've shot have always ran straight away from the point of impact.

05-Jan-20
I agree with hunter in that deer don't always run back. I watch a LOT of videos as well, and the majority run in the direction they're facing when hit. Do they end up or attempt to return to their last safe zone,..... maybe.

05-Jan-20
The last 6 deer I shot it was 50/50 in the direction than ran

05-Jan-20
Hunter3,

There is evidence to support the belief that deer movement is favorably impacted when the moon is directly underneath or directly overhead; over the years I've definitely seen some correlation, having some high deer sighting days when the moon was rising during the day.

This differs from moon phase though I've found off all 4 phases (New moon, waxing moon, full moon, waning moon) the full moon is the least productive though mid-day movement seems to happen with greater frequency during the full moon phase.

05-Jan-20
^^Mike nailed it. I might add that the time changes by about an hour each day so I plan accordingly. I started paying attention to this phenomenon about 15 years ago and I’ve been wildly successful utilizing this tool since. There are other variables that may trump the moon position, like a strong weather front or testosterone overload, but throughout the entirety of a season, this is something that will help make your deer sighting more consistent. Like anything else, some guys believe in this and some don’t. I’m one that does because of the way I hunt. You must Also keep in mind you still have to be in the right place or set up location to be where the deer are or want to go, no matter what you believe in or tactic you employ. Otherwise your not going to see deer anyway. I know some guys Just don’t believe in this theory but I think it’s because they are set up in a bad location. I drive up and down the Parkway 8 days a week and see this correlation between deer movement and moon position constantly by the deer I see feeding along side the road. No need for a deer to be up and feeding at 12 noon on a 95 degree day in July, but then I look up and there’s the moon high above.

05-Jan-20
It’s basically the tide cycle. High Tide = High Activity; same thing at low tide. Solunar tables.

If you don’t believe me, ask the most serious coastal fisherman you know.

05-Jan-20
Slack tide means you catch slacks and ebb tide is an old song. Tide is used to clean your clothes.

05-Jan-20
@Hunter3: "Six, you commented that deer always run back where it was safe. Can you elaborate at that a little bit, as the few deer I've shot have always ran straight away from the point of impact. "

If you shoot at deer quartering toward or close to broadside they tend to turn as they drop to load the muscles and run back. If you shoot at deer quartering away or at broadside they tend to run in a big u-turn around you back to where they came from initially. Most deer die before being able to complete the u-turn thus creating the impression they ran forward in the direction they faced.

The doe I shot earlier in the season with my recurve, was in a quartering away almost broadside position, and she ran a u-turn path back where she came from. The last deer, a buck, I shot in 2019 was positioned slightly quartering toward, pivoted and ran about 200 yards back where he came from initially, before he finally crashed. It is not 100% as it depends on the number of deer (which deer you target - the first one, middle or last in the group) and the wind direction. I believe they use smell for protection while on the run as they are making a racket in the woods.

06-Jan-20
"If you shoot at deer quartering toward or close to broadside they tend to turn as they drop to load the muscles and run back. If you shoot at deer quartering away or at broadside they tend to run in a big u-turn around you back to where they came from initially. Most deer die before being able to complete the u-turn thus creating the impression they ran forward in the direction they faced."

Is that fact, is that statement based on a scientific study? Or are you inserting your own opinion? "It is not 100% as it depends on the number of deer (which deer you target - the first one, middle or last in the group) and the wind direction. I believe they use smell for protection while on the run as they are making a racket in the woods." From my observations it's not even 50%

06-Jan-20
High tide = 0..an hour after til around dead low= fish are ambush staging depend where you're fishing estuaries, channels,mussel beds vs open water..then the reverse happens..but I've caught some sweet strippers at dead low..

06-Jan-20
Thanks guys for your responses. I'll have to pay more attention to the moon's "positioning". I have never had any luck when the solunar tables suggest peak or minor times (even when fishing). I'll also try to see some correlation to the tides.

06-Jan-20
"..but I've caught some sweet strippers at dead low.. "

Anyone else catch that? Only you my friend!

06-Jan-20
I can tell you one thing I hate hunting the full moon !! I will go back a couple of years more and give you a % of direction they went . 50 % was 6 deer let me think back 20 or so .Steve

06-Jan-20
I saw that Ace and was going to comment, but just let that one go. Just wondering what he was using for bait?

06-Jan-20
His little worm, of course. I missed it first time around though.

06-Jan-20
I thought back 26 deer 16 went forward and 10 return the way they came from ?? I say it’s all luck

07-Jan-20
Sounds like scientific study but it is my opinion from experience. I believe no other predator runs scientific studies to get their prey. Instead they use instinct and experience which work for them just as good as an expensive and time consuming scientific study. After all they have to fill their stomachs before they run out of energy,

Let us picture a scenario where you hunt a 3 deer group and you target the closest one to reach you position. The 2 rear deer, if experienced enough, will run back because that is where it was quiet and peaceful. If they are young then chances are they could run either way. If the front deer, shot at quartering towards, will drop to spring load the leg muscles for take off, usually pivots then it will run back where it came from. If you shot it while quartering away it will run forward with a tendency to circle, if terrain configuration allows it, in order to meet up with the other deer. If terrain is tight they will follow the funnel and die before they can circle. When you shoot it broadside I would say the run direction is left to chance. One thing is for sure, they run away from the noise even before they feel the arrow poking their ribs. Every deer is an individual animal with personal reactions. Some are loners while some are groupies. You have to learn how to read them before the shot.

For a pseudo "scientific" study go watch some YouTube videos which I think NOTME can help us locate thru his wizardry.

07-Jan-20
Got it. Thanks

07-Jan-20

Notme's Link
https://youtu.be/Tam3WWL8aVU

07-Jan-20
I’m always afraid to open a NotMe link when I’m at work!

07-Jan-20
GF, I always have my hazmat suit on the ready.

• Sitka Gear