Mnhunter1980 06-Jan-20
rodb 06-Jan-20
DJW009 08-Jan-20
jjs 10-Jan-20
DeerAreTasty 02-Jul-20
06-Jan-20

DJW009's embedded Photo
DJW009's embedded Photo
Hello All! I am new to this board so I apologize if this has already been discussed. To cut to it then...I shot a nice 8pt buck in Aitkin County this past firearms season (See photo. That deer was shot with my father's .32 Special from his HS days). I have been bitten by the bow hunting bug and have the passion (I used to bow hunt in SE Minn near Mankato in my college days). I know live in the state of Virginia (took a job here after retiring from the USMC two years ago. I am stuck here 4 more years until I retire fully and return to MN to Hunt and Fish FULL-TIME!) Anyway, I only have one week to bow hunt (I will rifle hunt with my father the first week of firearms too) in 2020. We hunt his old farm land that has everything, fields planted, small winding river, hills with lots of acorns, swamp, low and high lands, pine trees and hard woods. Very low pressure for bow hunting. Firearm season....a lot of orange hunters emerge. My question is with one week to hunt, when is the best time to archery hunt big deer with a bow? Opener, closer to the rut, or just combine the hunts into one two week hunt (end of OCT/beginning of NOV)? I can use either ground blind or tree stands. Deer are routinely seen in the fields late afternoon summer in and early fall feeding. But come mid to late OCT - gone into hiding! Thanks in advance for your help. -Dave

06-Jan-20
Hi Dave, I live west and a bit north of you about 30 minutes or so and, in my humble opinion, without question Halloween appears to be the magic date. I called in more deer, mainly bucks with a few inquisitive does, this year beginning three days prior to Halloween until a couple days after - mostly small bucks with one nice buck that was chasing a doe full on and paid no attention to me what-so-ever, moving to fast and to far for a shot anyway. Again JMHO, Bob

06-Jan-20
I'd do the two consecutive weeks, bow hunt week before firearms and then firearm hunt with your dad.

06-Jan-20
I would have to agree with 12 yards, the end of October was good this year but if your coming for the rifle opener I would come a week early and be ready for some action.

06-Jan-20
Gun opener is on the 7th next year (I believe) and it looks like the peak of the buck activity north of Grand Rapids was on the 3 rd of November this fall so my bet is on the week right before gun season.

08-Jan-20
Thanks all. I think I will try the two consecutive weeks. It does make the most sense. Only one airfare too.

10-Jan-20
Been hunting north of Hyw 1 for the last 10 yrs and agree with the last 2 was up to the gun, bucks get active around Oct 24. Full moon is Oct 30 this year and adjust to late morning early afternoon.

02-Jul-20
The big bucks can be hard to find early in the season. Seems the first month is mostly does, fawns and young bucks with the larger bucks staying in out of the way places. The closer to the early/mid November rut the better.

• Sitka Gear