Notme 07-Jan-20
Notme 07-Jan-20
N8tureBoy 07-Jan-20
Will 08-Jan-20
jax2009r 08-Jan-20
Garbanzo 10-Jan-20
Bigbuckbob 10-Jan-20
06-Jan-20
So the thread about small parcel hunting got me thinking. Here are two scenarios. 1. Hunt the same stand for years, at least once each week, but only shoot mature bucks so no arrows launched at all other deer. Since this is state land only two bucks taken in 6 years. 2. Hunt 6-8 different stands and never hunt the same stand in the same week, but you shoot at deer from each stand located during the season. Now here's the question - which scenario results in deer being less alarmed when approaching your stand location? 1 or 2? I have my thoughts that I'll share later.

06-Jan-20
In scenario 2, are the 6-8 stands in proximity to each other?

06-Jan-20
Stand 1 I saw a few deer with a couple of mature ones but never got an arrow off..stand 2 I saw lots of deer but never got an arrow off..I still had fun!!!

06-Jan-20
Scenario #2 the stands are at least 200 yards apart.

06-Jan-20
Notme, go out in the hall and put yourself in a locker and don't return until you read the assignment.

06-Jan-20
Based on the close proximity of the stands, scenario 2 puts more pressure on the deer in my opinion. 200 yard isn't very far apart.

That said, if you do actually get 8 legitimate shots at deer, on state land, in a single season, hunting only once week, you are doing something right.

06-Jan-20
Let me add - scenario 1 you're seeing several deer every sit.

06-Jan-20
Did it rain ?

06-Jan-20
I’ll play. You’re not in CT on either stand on state land, that’s just silly talk about shooting multiple deer. Lmao :)

But I’d rather hunt one stand over and over again. I’m sure a lot of guys have a “killing tree”. Hunt when the wind is right and nothing else really matters. Bump them and they’ll still come back. Hunt the rut, and you’ll likely see bucks you’d otherwise never see. You know your way into and out of the stand like the back of your hand in the dark. You can slither in and slither out.

I’ve killed 9-10 deer out of the same tree and my friend has shot a few from that tree too on state land. I’ve got another friend that hunts the same tree on private land and has killed 7-8 big bucks from it in the last 5 years. because it’s a travel route and he only hunts during the rut and when the weather is right.

06-Jan-20
Ahhh, why?

06-Jan-20
BT, I'm with you. Here's what I was thinking about these two scenarios. I've been hunting the same stand for years, but since I only shoot mature bucks I rarely let an arrow fly,....and that's no secret. What I've found is deer seem much more relaxed near my stand since I've not threatened them over the years. I mentioned on one of my posts in the 2018 season, I had a doe at 20 yards watch me climb my tree in the dark and only left when I nice 8 point came along bothering her.

When I've tried a new spot the deer seemed to notice something was not right, and changed course to avoid me.

06-Jan-20
Maybe it was your cologne .?.. Lol

06-Jan-20
Ahhh, ode d' urin may have had some impact, but in my younger years I had the same results with "stinky finger"

06-Jan-20
Hunting exclusively out of one stand if done properly can be advantageous; first and foremost is only hunting in ideal wind conditions and definitely not getting busted on stand. Not shooting deer helps in that you don't disturb the surrounding area by trailing through the area while tracking and recovering your deer.

Multiple stand sites increases the possibility of alerting deer; while you can still hunt different stands under ideal wind conditions moving around may place you upwind of bedded deer as you approach; Bob, this might be why deer seemed to notice when you'd switched locations.

The reality is it's a numbers game and every movement we make in the woods increases the chances of getting detected; minimizing movement minimizes risk.

I should note that the above is an analysis of my opinion when hunting big woods state land; small parcels, and in particular in urban bow hunting settings the acclimation to human scent reduces the risk of putting deer on alert. It doesn't mean you can go in smelling like Joe's garage but the risks are definitely not the same as the big woods.

07-Jan-20

Notme's Link
https://youtu.be/ZlIe5mBqIB4

07-Jan-20

Notme's Link
https://youtu.be/Qb-K8a4kBAQ

07-Jan-20
Radio collar studies have shown that deer tend to shy away from a stand for a few days after it is used. Presumably our scent lingers beyond the time when we have left the stand. The deer tended to resume their former pattern in about 4 days or so. Over the course of the season, however, they modified their travel patterns. Hunters reported seeing fewer deer as the season progressed but the deer were still there, only further away, just beyond sighting distance from the stands.

08-Jan-20
Ill give you a non-clear answer. I do both. Increasingly, I only hunt HOT sign. For me, that means clear indication of lots of fresh activity, ideally seeing deer as well. Shy that, i'm off. Example, my "best" stand, I hunted 1 time this year, killed a buck, and was done. My "second best" stand, I hunted that tree 3 times, and others within 75-100yds of it probably 4 more. I saw deer on every sit in that spot, ultimately killing a nice buck on the last sit, which was #3 in the best tree. I was intentionally varying my positions because they were in there so much this year I didnt want to educate them to well.

I used to hunt one tree or spot over and over until it went clearly cold.

08-Jan-20
I always wonder if I am.burning a spot out or not hunting it enough. I don't know the right answer ....

10-Jan-20
So on state land, we have to factor in the others who might be hunting the area.. I know Bob will go deep into the woods to get away from hunters who don't put in a similar effort, but there will always be some that will be in your area. So even if you spread your time between 6 or 8 stands, there is no guarantee that someone else is not hitting the same locations over and over. I don't think there is any 'Right' answer. I think a lot depends on the particular parcel, how much hunting pressure that parcel is taking , if there are sign's of others hunting near your stand locations and the level of deer activity at those locations. From personal experience, I've taken deer from a stand location and had shots from the same stand two days later. So I am not buying into taking shots causing deer to move away from a stand.

10-Jan-20
Garbanzo, I think deer are like good hunting dogs, they can pick up the scent of the target animal and stay on it. In fact, by watching the Callie Chronicles you'll see the dog stay on the wounded deer scent even though several deer are in the area.

So, if a deer finds your scent in a certain area and you've taken a shot at it, THAT deer will avoid that area in my opinion. Now other deer may cross your path but if they didn't associate danger in that area they are less likely to avoid it.

• Sitka Gear