Bigbuckbob 09-Jan-20
swampyankee 09-Jan-20
Straight Arrow 12-Jan-20
jax2009r 12-Jan-20
jax2009r 12-Jan-20
Burcham 26-Oct-20
Thisismyhandle 26-Oct-20
08-Jan-20
If you look at the 2020 regulations that is a notation that the regulations around lottery and no lottery A and B seasons are subject to change? Anybody have any insights into what DEEP may be thinking here?

Personally I hope they do away with the A & B season so your state land shotgun tag is good for the entire firearms season. I don't see any reason to split the season and force you to pick one or the other.

08-Jan-20
I agree. It should all be one season.

08-Jan-20
I would think that subject to change would depend on how many hunters apply for the area. If the amount of applicants is low, I would assume they may allow A season hunters to go into B season. If that keeps happening, I assume that the area would eventually revert to non-lottery. The purpose of A and B season is to limit the number of hunters based on the size of the area to prevent overcrowding.

08-Jan-20
I think they split the season back in the days when there were a lot of gun hunters in the state. I agree that it's probably not necessary now.

08-Jan-20
I understand why they did it initially. As BBB said, I don't see any need for it any longer, at least in the areas I frequent. The hunting pressure on state forests during gun season has plummeted over the last 10 years.

There may be some areas that still get pummeled by gun hunters, where a split season makes sense I guess, but I haven't seen it personally.

08-Jan-20
Then why did some people not get A season ? Because it was full and some people had to get the b season on the first day ! So it depends where you hunt .

08-Jan-20
Based upon my information, DEEP is proposing to eliminate the split shotgun season on most state administered lottery areas. For some of the reasons you all mentioned and witnessed previously, including a precipitous decline in state land shotgun deer hunters. There will be an upcoming public hearing and an opportunity to submit testimony. Stay tuned or contact the agency for an update.

08-Jan-20
They are going to combine them to one as it should be

08-Jan-20
Buckster, where is the meeting? I want to propose using a bow during state land gun season(s) as a lessor weapon. Thanks.

09-Jan-20
To my knowledge, the public hearing has yet to be announced and the agency already has a package of various changes that have been approved through various levels to move forward in the approval and public input process. To consider anything not germane to the changes at hand, hunters would of had to work through their organizations and write letters, lobby etc. to the Wildlife Division many months ago. I believe development of the upcoming package has been in the works for almost a year.

09-Jan-20
More permits, more money! That's all they care about, more money!

09-Jan-20
Sounds like this meeting is being run by the moderators here… Super top-secret. Can you give us some information on who is actually running this meeting? It would be nice to get involved. :-)

09-Jan-20
I stand corrected. The package of changes has already moved through the public hearing stage and awaits approval from the Legislative Regulations Review Committee (a bi-partisan group in the legislature that reviews proposed state agency regulations) on January 28, according to Rick Jacobson, BNR Bureau Chief.

09-Jan-20

Buckster's Link
Attempting to give you all a link to the DEEP hearing officer’s report. Hope this works. No one attended the public hearing but there were comments received.

09-Jan-20
Thanks. I do hope they do away with the A & B shotgun season. Seems like a no brainer.

It looks like they are thinking about allowing Turkey Hunting in the afternoon, that sounds good as well.

The combining of turkey tags between public and private sounds like a bad idea to me personally.

09-Jan-20
As Buckster said, this proposal (combining the A & B seasons) is part of the "Reg Package" that was proposed and has made it's way through the process. It was recently rejected without predudice and it is expected that after a few tweaks, it is likely to be approved and the changes MAY be in effect for this year. Stay tuned.

BTW, the "proposed changes" that you hear about (ie: All Day Spring Turkey Hunting), are mostly part of this package.

Anyone who has any suggestions for new Regs or laws, feel free to mention them to me at the Dinner (or in a PM) as I am part of a committee that advises the DEEP on these things. I am happy to pass along ideas or to tell you how you can help advocate for them. We really do need to get more of us involved.

As some of you know, there has been a new group formed called Friends of CT Sportsmen, our mission (in part) is to Lobby and advocate for Sportsmen's issues in CT. Things like a Bear Season, and Sunday Hunting are on the agenda. Fighting the expected upcoming Anti Trapping and Anti Hunting bills will take a lot of money and effort as well.

09-Jan-20
Can I hunt in my underwear slathered in acorn scented cocobutter?? Are you SURE you want my ideas..lol

09-Jan-20
^^^test it out and let us know how it works.

09-Jan-20
Hmmm, acorn coco butter. Now I just gotta see if I can find camo jockies. Thanks notme.

09-Jan-20
I want Free tags after 65 !

09-Jan-20
Here here Steve.

09-Jan-20
I dont like it, should keep it the way it is.

12-Jan-20
I’m with Steve, I get a free hunting license now and they kill me with tag fees, I buy a Maryland license every year and even as a nonresident I get a 50% discount! Tags of course are all extra too,

12-Jan-20
A and b season is stupid. Hope they change it

12-Jan-20
A and b season is stupid. Hope they change it

26-Oct-20
I agree. It should all be one season.

26-Oct-20
It is all one season

• Sitka Gear