tompolaris 23-Jan-20
Loner 16-Feb-20
Thisismyhandle 16-Feb-20
soapdish 16-Feb-20
tompolaris 20-Feb-20
Zack 21-Feb-20
Wild Bill 21-Feb-20
08-Jan-20
Im not sure how to start a petition or who to email. But I need the law of not being able to carry a side arm while Bow Hunting changed.

Scenario:

I leave my house dressed In camo carrying my 9mm then walk inside the bank to cash a check. I then stop at the packy and buy a six pack of beer. Then (without drinking) pull into my hunting spot. Grab my Bow and head to my Stand. Ooops turn around and go back to the truck and leave my pistol in a locked container. Now I can legally go bow and arrow hunting.

How stupid is that law? So many Bears in my Town, why can't I carry for defense?

If something does happen. -- God help me ---. I'm suing the DEEP for this antiquated LAW.

I'm sure everyone has a similar law they want changed.

08-Jan-20
Get involved. Find out who your State Rep and State Senator are and tell them what you want and why. Then follow the bills that get introduced and end emails in support of those you like, and against those you don't.

Did you know that there were several bills introduced last year that expanded our rights? We got very little support from gun owners and sportsmen; and the other side made a lot more calls and wrote many more emails. Guess what happened?

Sportsmen as a group tend to be the sorts who do not get politically active. As a result we get out maneuvered time and time again.

08-Jan-20
I’m not 100% sure, but I think that even if you have a carry permit, you’re only allowed to carry a .22LR on public land.

But I’m easy; all I want is to be allowed to hunt 1/2 hour after sunset, to be able hunt public land on Sundays, and to be allowed to hunt a mile back in and not get busted for coming out of the woods 45 minutes after legal hunting hours are over.

08-Jan-20
Can you get busted for coming out of the woods after legal hunting hours are over? My understanding was as long as my bolt or arrow wasn't loaded then legally i wasn't hunting so I can come out after legal hours are over cause I wasnt hunting once legal hours were over cause I wasn't loaded with a bolt of arrow.

I do agree we need to be more politically active so we don't keep getting the short end of the stick. I am all for hunting on Sundays on public land, the private land owners have it way to easy compared to us public land hunters :)

08-Jan-20
Who said you need to be out of the woods after hours? Never read that before. If that's the case you shouldn't be able to enter the woods before 30 minutes before sunrise then. Chasin is correct, as long as your not loaded its legal.

ACE - who writes these bills? I've looked at presented laws and haven't seen anything proposed to allowing sidearms during Archery season. I'll write and call, but shouldn't DEEP suggest them first?

09-Jan-20
you can come out any time you want no loaded weapons.

09-Jan-20
Nehunter, I think with the severe increase in the bear population the DEEP should address the issue by allowing the sidearm carry allowance. I'm not advocating illegal actions, but has anyone been ASKED if they were carrying when bow hunting?

09-Jan-20
If you have to lie to police questions, it ends bad for you. Carry pepper spray and hopefully you will not have to use it.

"leave my pistol in a locked container"

Are you sure your vehicle qualifies as a safe storage for a firearm?

09-Jan-20
WB, if lying to police gets you in trouble think about how much trouble you'd be in for breaking and entering and theft.

09-Jan-20
I think a sidearm for a lawfully licensed person should be fine. It's not during archery up here either (hence I carry pepper spray to at least slow a bear down a little should the need arise, or a junkie... I have bear spray but the bottle is big and kind of a PITA so it travels less).

As for CT... Man, I'd love to see 30' AFTER sunset for archery. Rarely would I use all that time, especially early season... But that would be really nice.

09-Jan-20
WB, I said locked container. Like a portable safe. Didn't say vehicle.

09-Jan-20
I would compromise and go for 15' after sunset. Would love night time coyote hunting. If a raccoon or opossum can be hunted at night, and shot in a tree, why can't a coyote be shot at night on the ground? Even if it was over bait from an elevated stand.

09-Jan-20
I agree with nehunter, I also hunt the north west corner and have had several encounters with bears. Nothing has happened so far and I hope it doesn't. I only hunt private land and carry every time I am in the woods, I'll take my chances getting caught rather than take my chances getting attacked. My wife won't let me in the woods unless I carry and I don't want to piss her off LOL. There is no common sense behind that law whatsoever

09-Jan-20
I do the same as will, I carry one of those mini pepper spray bottles. had a bear sniffing the base of my tree and looking up at me this season and I had the spray ready to go, but the bear eventually lost interest and moved off. I wonder what some other folks would have done in the same situation if armed with a pistol....... I think DEEP is just trying to discourage the urge to poach.

09-Jan-20
A couple things for me I'd like to see changed. i think the tagging system is a joke. I think it should be old style with the metal bands that clip on... once there put on that's it...the tags should be sent in the mail or picked up... also I think the unlimited doe tag is crazy. I think four tags is more than enough. I actually think one buck and one doe is just fine..also like most, even though I dont have a gun, I'd like to see people be able to carry a handgun while bowhunting. Especially in the northeast where bears have become a nuisance...

09-Jan-20
Brian . Exactly, why round up to 30 minutes. Compromise to 15. I think CT is the only State that isn't 30 minutes after sunset.

09-Jan-20
I think there is no chance of changing the sunset rule because of the James Spignesi killing.

09-Jan-20
Toonces,

I agree as it relates to firearms hunting; bow hunting on the other hand as a close range weapon shouldn't be handicapped by losing prime movement time.

09-Jan-20
Don't forget: You are allowed to hunt until 30 minutes after sunset for small game.

The logic, of course, is that you can see a small animal (like a rabbit or squirrel) at 29 minutes after sunset just fine; but you can see a deer or turkey at 1 minute past sunset ... wait ...

09-Jan-20
Mike,

I don't disagree, I just think this particular issue is hot button for DEEP, for obvious and understandable reasons. I don't see them moving on it.

09-Jan-20
ne hunter

maine is 30 mins before sunset believe it or not.....I dont think anyone follows it up there from the amount of shots I hear

09-Jan-20

nehunter's Link
jax2009r - I looked it up and its not before, its after. They actually give the entire State an actual hunting time. The 30 before 30 after and don't jive with Portland, its like 24 minutes after or before. Most likely due to the size of the State and confusion they have a set a specific time. See the Chart attached.

09-Jan-20
I hit maine rifle season this year in jackman. The 30 to 30 is nice. But really its til dark dark lol.

09-Jan-20
Why would you have to put your hand gun in a lock box and then put it in your locked vehicle ? would not your locked vehicle be the locked box itself? I mean otherwise your gun would be locked twice. Thats a dumb rule! Is this part of that new Ethans law?

09-Jan-20
I want free tags after 65 the state owes it to us !

09-Jan-20
This, my first ever deer hunt was at West Forks just below Jackman. I LOVE that area, BIG WOODS. How did you make out?

09-Jan-20
Wood, so people don’t smash your window and steal your handgun. You put it a locked box that’s bolted to your car. Lessens the chance some dirt bag can get to it.

09-Jan-20
Well I guess thats another good reason why we should be able to carry while bow huntin. This way nobody will smash your window and get your gun , they will just smash your window and steal everything else and maybe your car too. See what im sayin its still a stupid law!!

09-Jan-20
Coming from MA and being allowed to hunt 30 minutes after I can tell you that rarely am I in my stand that long as you can’t see crap and if anything your law prevents a poor shot on a deer.

09-Jan-20
BBB, it was great. Definitely big woods. I didnt get a deer. I want to go back tho with what I learned.

09-Jan-20

Treebeard 's embedded Photo
Treebeard 's embedded Photo
Good lock box for the price.

09-Jan-20

Notme's Link
https://youtu.be/vSQ8pvwVvJM

10-Jan-20
Nehunter,

"Ooops turn around and go back to the truck and leave my pistol in a locked container."

I get the locked box, but it is still in a vehicle, not a residence.

While Connecticut has a provision for storage in an unattended vehicle, where you decide to leave it still could bring your judgement into question by the Firearms Review Board, should the gun be stolen.

"As of October 1, 2019, handguns left in unattended vehicles are required to be stored in the trunk, locked safe, or locked glove box." "Connecticut General Assembly". Connecticut General Assembly. Retrieved 2019-06-11."

In Connecticut, or elsewhere, I prefer to break down the pistol and keep the barrel with me. What's locked in the box is not a gun and can do no harm, or be used by someone else. I visit in New York, and on occasion, forget I'm in possession of my handgun. I have a safe house near the border and leave the frame there, PITA.

Bob, What are you saying?

"how much trouble you'd be in for breaking and entering and theft."

You will show up on the arrest reviews in the newspaper, if you get caught, and have to answer to a judge. Not a fun happening for most of us here.

10-Jan-20
I would like to see the Requirement to wear Florescent Orange after Nov 15th removed if you are Hunting State Land Deer Bowhunting Only.

10-Jan-20
I’d still wear the orange. ^^

Too many guys on private gun hunting that surround a lot of bow only state land spots. Deer can’t see the orange. And it makes me feel way safer with it on. There’s no good argument to get it changed IMO.

10-Jan-20
There is also small game firearms hunting permitted on some Deer Bowhunting Only areas. Orange seems like a good idea regardless.

10-Jan-20
Also its only if you're on the ground. You dont need to wear orange in a tree.

10-Jan-20
Turkey season starts in October on State land. So why is NOV 15th the cutoff. I can see the argument about abutting pvt land but hikers aren't required to wear Orange on State land, ever (even though it is suggested)

10-Jan-20
I think the orange requirement is as much about being the hunter's safety as it is about other folks giving the hunter a wide breadth. If the hiker is able to see a hunter from a long distance the hiker may change course rather than stumbling up to the hunter. The Nov. cutoff doesn't make sense, agreed. I guess for some reason the state thinks there is increased danger during deer season. If your camouflaged in a tree-stand, the bigger danger is probably from squirrel or upland bird hunters.

10-Jan-20
Wild Bill, I've got a LTC in Mass, they require a Locked Box, trunk and glove box doesn't comply. I own the same safe Treebeard posted.

10-Jan-20
I thought that new law was lock box in addition to a locked vehicle

10-Jan-20
Notme, yes exactly.

That's why I wrote it originally.

10-Jan-20
“Coming from MA and being allowed to hunt 30 minutes after I can tell you that rarely am I in my stand that long as you can’t see crap and if anything your law prevents a poor shot on a deer.”

No, GOOD JUDGMENT prevents a poor shot on a deer. Being ALLOWED to take a shot and being REQUIRED TO take a shot are not the same thing.

As for wearing orange? With X-bows in the woods? Damn straight.

11-Jan-20
Damn GF you have this abnormal fear of crossbows. They aren’t any different than any other bow. God forbid an arrow through any part of a person’s body whether it be by crossbow or longbow is not good. I just don’t understand the self righteousness that comes along with shooting trad gear or the harboring of ill will toward people who choose to shoot a crossbow. I don’t believe that you are more dangerous because of the bow you choose to carry into the woods. Shame on you for even insinuating that orange is needed specifically for those who choose a different weapon than you.

11-Jan-20

Notme's Link
https://youtu.be/uK7PmvVzZUs

Sampson vs Winfield bill 7223. 5/19

11-Jan-20
I think the type of implement you use MAY say something about who you are as a hunter. I gave up deer gun hunting because there are those out there who are lazy and shoot at movement, sounds and long distances.

I also think some picked up a xbow because they're cut from the same cloth as some gun hunters, they're thinking it's easier to kill a deer and they're lazy. I'm not saying everyone is like that, but you only need one to ruin your day.

11-Jan-20
"They aren’t any different than any other bow."

While that is commonly said, it just isn't the whole truth. There are enough similarities with firearms that they should be called a string gun. The discharge is one trigger pull, whereas a bow must be drawn first.

I disagree with Bob calling crossbow users lazy. Fact is, crossbows usually outweigh standard bows. The frequency of practice to produce proficiency is, I think, where Bob is pointing his criticism. Because rapid string wear is a fact of crossbow operation, I can see where users want to conserve that lifespan.

I dislike wearing orange, but I dislike being shot even more, be it gun or bow.

The half hour after sunset, is so like the half hour before sunrise, that we should have both, or neither. I favor both.

11-Jan-20
the crossbow is big, loud, heavy and cumbersome to load and reload. also I find it difficult to hold steady because its front heavy and something about the back tension of my compound makes me much more steady. oh and one more thing, I hate having to squint and try to find the animal in a scope, I shoot my compound both eyes open and never take my eyes off the target. I own both compound and crossbow, but I much prefer my compound, and I'm sick of hearing guys wine about how crossbows are some super weapon.

11-Jan-20
Bill, I did not say all crossbow hunters are lazy! I said you only need one to ruin your day. I don't think anyone would argue that taking a deer with a firearm has higher odds than with a bow. And taking a deer with a crossbow has its advantages over a compound or recurve or a longbow. firearms in crossbows require less movement as the animal approaches since you do not need to draw back on either one of them to get a shot off, all other things being equal as to your ability to find deer.

11-Jan-20
Sorry Bob, you did say some twice and I missed that like it wasn't there.

Were you saying that they were lazy because they think it is an easier way(you knowing what they think), or, was lazy something else besides wanting easier? Just to be clear on what you are saying. Did, what you are saying, have anything to do with practice, which is what I was thinking was on your mind?

11-Jan-20
It has nothing to do with choosing trad gear, Rich…

It’s the number of people in the woods, the distances that they are more likely to be willing to shoot, and the fact that a scope tends to compress the background, which makes it harder to pick out something that’s not exactly what you’re looking at.

Archery season has never required orange because it is such a short-range proposition( Compounds have been pushing the limits on this for years, but you never saw an ad for a compound bragging about being able to shoot 100 yards. The crossbow manufacturers are making a specific attempt to normalize that expectation, and that makes everyone less safe.

Orange isn’t required because firearms are noisy, it’s because of their range.

And if there aren’t more hunters in the woods during archery season now that crossbows are permitted, then kindly explain the drop in shotgun and ML permit sales.

11-Jan-20
Bill, My experience with gun hunters is they do little to no scouting, rarely practice with their firearm, and basically just walk around the woods looking for something to shoot. That's not to say all of them are like that because I do know a couple that put the effort in. If you compare that to the average Archer, the general time spent is much greater pursuing a deer with a bow and arrow then it is with a rifle. I think archery hunting for deer is more work than rifle and is more difficult than crossbow.

I watch lots of YouTube videos of rifle hunters that require three and four shots to put a deer down after chasing it for hours after the first shot.

11-Jan-20
Bob, I suspect you're talking about gun hunters that don't bow hunt? Lots of us bow hunters also hunt with firearms, so our scouting is done during and before archery season. And if you're like me, it's not real hard to kill a deer with a rifle at stick bow range. Funny how the deer get real close with a rifle and stay out at rifle range with a bow.

11-Jan-20
Yes, they're just gun hunters who view bow hunting as craziness. when I was going out to New Mexico for archery elk there were two gun hunters at work that told me I would never even get close enough to an elk to shoot it with an arrow. 33 yards is pretty close with any implement. By the way I missed

11-Jan-20
Isn’t that how it always seems to go Brian? My crossbow was 15 yards and rifle about the same.

11-Jan-20
Same when I was in Missouri on a rifle hunt. First morning I let a very large buck walk by and he stood at 20 yards broadside licking himself for ten minutes. Third morning shot the largest buck to date literally at the base of my tree.

14-Jan-20
Sunset rule, we should be permitted to hunt Sunset +30.

14-Jan-20
Van, you go to Ohio yet?

16-Jan-20
Yes Steve, PM Sent.

16-Jan-20
I shot an elk in Idaho with my Bow at 36 yards....In Wyoming I shot a elk with my 300 weatherby at 15 yards...

16-Jan-20
Jax, what would happen if you carried your bow and your gun?

16-Jan-20
BBB...you wouldn't be able to bring them both to camp....we were 5 hours in on a horse...

16-Jan-20
5 hours on a horse! I'll walk.

16-Jan-20
Must have been great hunts Jax congratulations.

17-Jan-20
BBB..that's what I said but I don't think you could walk..the horse are good but one guy fell off...it is hairy terrain

you are running and gunning so there is no way you could have both....the guides carry shotguns since it is griz country so you cant have them carry for you either...so when you leave camp you would have to pick. our camp went 4 for 4 and I was the only close shot..the rest were 100 to 300 yard shots

17-Jan-20
Two things, first many states are changing from the " universally known Hunter Orange " to other colors such as hot pink camo or safety green / yellow products. The state says that if you see orange in the woods you should expect a hunter. the newer colors are more visible and its about seeing people. Everyone in the woods should be required to wear safety colors. Also the state changed .22 L.R. to .22 rim fire. Our state is very slow to make change , when we went to cross bow for all we were one of 4 states that required handicapped only.

23-Jan-20
(1)I met with our local rep from this area last weekend and told her I want to carry during archery season. She told me she introduced a bill to allow it and was laughed at and it died there. Very little representative interest. (2) Nathans law states a locked car isn't good enough, your handgun must be in a locked glove box or locked safe type container. Bunch of crap just like the rest of nathans bill. If somebody breaks into your house you have to get your locked gun then go somewhere else to get your locked ammo. Hope the intruder doesn't mind waiting. I wonder if /when somebody gets killed because he could reach his gun and ammo in time if the family can sue Nathan's parents and the state?

16-Feb-20
30min. after sunset would be great in Ct. That time is magic in Ma.

16-Feb-20
Adding statewide state land to January bow hunting would be nice too.

16-Feb-20
Tom p... sorry for Nate. I propose wrapping your kids in bubble wrap, sprinkle them with sunshine and give them a trophy for participating.....or do what I'm still doing, teach em right from wrong.....etc...etc...LSD....love support and discipline

20-Feb-20
A few years back Vermont changed their law to allow bow hunters the right to carry side arms while bow hunting. They stated their reason was they were discriminating against bow hunters by allowing hikers to carry and not them. Connecticut should take their lead. Extrere, good post.

21-Feb-20

Zack's embedded Photo
Zack's embedded Photo
this will fit a smaller pistol..

21-Feb-20
tompolaris,

I was recently told that it is illegal to conceal carry in Connecticut State Parks/Forests.

• Sitka Gear