altitude sick 20-Jan-20
altitude sick 20-Jan-20
altitude sick 20-Jan-20
yooper89 20-Jan-20
altitude sick 20-Jan-20
The last savage 22-Jan-20
altitude sick 22-Jan-20
12-Jan-20
I posted this same question on Wyoming,, so does anyone know of a state or federal program that allows you to either cut down standing dead beetle killed tree's or remove the dead ones already down?? Also do any landowners sell standing dead tree's? I appreciate any direction, link or insights.. thanks guys. Pat

12-Jan-20
Sure. Contact a local Forest Service office and get a firewood permit. I think they sell them for $10/cord. There might be limitations on where you can get the wood due to logging operations.

I know several people that do this.

12-Jan-20
I also know you can buy a semi load of tree length logs directly from loggers.

12-Jan-20
Really... hmm thats interesting cnelk, i pmed u, but heres what im tring to do, build myself a cabin, and as cheap as possible..of course! The truckload sounds like the ticket. Thx sir

12-Jan-20

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
Your best bet is definitely standing trees. The ones on the ground are usually punky and deteriorated enough where you wouldnt want them

This pic is a typical FS road in the summer time

12-Jan-20
Gotcha,, agreed or fresh fallen trees id guess,, good information,, thx

12-Jan-20
Up here where I live landowners pay a lot of money to get someone to cut and haul standing beetle-kill. If they dont, the county fines them.

12-Jan-20
BTW, Pat, I know someone who did exactly what you are considering. I know someone else who was trying to do it but the relatively short building season in the mountains caused them to finally give up and buy a log kit.

12-Jan-20
Do some due diligence. The local sawmill is backing off on some beetle kill products because a lot of the dead trees are getting past the point of being usable for some applications. We have been paneling and trimming a buddy's cabin along with building tables and a bar top from stuff we cleared on his property. Beautiful stuff but having to sort some out.

12-Jan-20
Thx guys ,jaq if i can get a foundation in by April id be in fantastic shape by july..building &carpentry is what i bleed..

12-Jan-20
Depends on where you buy land. Where I live you'll possibly still be fighting several feet of snow in April, depending upon whether you pony-up and pay for something south-facing or go less expensive on north facing and regret it. March is our snowiest month. You might want to rent something for a season wherever you are thinking in this area.

13-Jan-20
Excellent input jaq, yeah thats actually my plan exactly, rent and taste the dirt for a while to acclimate to the region.gonna be a blast!!!!

13-Jan-20
I have several standing that you can have

13-Jan-20
Depending on how long the tree has been dead, standing dead trees may be infested with sawyer beetles or other large beetles that have large white "grubs" in the pupal stage (former forester here). I helped a guy build a one room cabin late one fall from LPP trees on his property and when it warmed up the next spring (with the added help of his wood stove) he had an infestation of large flying beetles coming out of the wood as roommates in his cabin. Didn't really hurt anything, but when using raw logs expect a bit of bonus critters during the build and once the wood warms up the following year....

18-Jan-20
I used 100+ yr old chestnut barn beams for an interior project. I’ve used sprays designed to kill wood borers. But the best way to kill borers deep in the wood is to kiln dry it. The heat kills live bugs and larvae.

Obviously, Whole logs or beams are more time and cost than boards.

19-Jan-20
Jay,standing trees killed by beetles ia FARcheaper than any salvaged barn lumber.building a cabin requires logs....and about 15 or 20 percent of conventional lumber. ( my plan does) I'll deal with the beetles when i have to..

20-Jan-20
I agree the dead logs are cheaper than barn beams.

They also harvest fire damaged trees for wood.

I was just warning about building anything with wood borers in it.

After it’s built would be a very expensive process to kill them.

20-Jan-20

altitude sick's embedded Photo
My mud room done with barn beams.
My mud room done with barn beams.

20-Jan-20

20-Jan-20

20-Jan-20
Altitude that is freaking awesome.

20-Jan-20

Thanks it was my summer weekend project. The tin ceiling, and pex tubing in the concrete (Radient floor heat) was a first for me.
Thanks it was my summer weekend project. The tin ceiling, and pex tubing in the concrete (Radient floor heat) was a first for me.

22-Jan-20
Damn nice work!! Coming from an almost 4 decade carpenter..

22-Jan-20
Believe it or not the paint was the tricky part. Getting the 4 different tones correct for the look I wanted. If interested I used a paint technique with the “WOOLIE” Paint tools. Sheepskin tools

The technique is easy. Selecting the right paint shades is hard. They all look different in every room

• Sitka Gear