Notme 14-Jan-20
Brian M. 14-Jan-20
Notme 14-Jan-20
SILVERADO 30-Jan-20
Bigbuckbob 30-Jan-20
Bigbuckbob 30-Jan-20
Bigbuckbob 30-Jan-20
13-Jan-20
I was just wondering if anyone cuts the throat to bleed a deer after they get it? I watch the show the other night on TV and they shot a hog and then they cut his throat because they said it needed to be bled so the meat would be better. I have never done this, does this need to be done? Does it make the meat better? Thanks for any input

13-Jan-20
What do you mean by "after they get it"?

Unless you do it while the deer is still alive and its heart is pumping, its not going to bleed out anymore than it already has.

I don't recommend cutting the throat on a live deer unless you really have no other option to finish it off.

13-Jan-20
My very first deer, back around '85/86, I had always heard you have to bleed'em out. So I got a dead doe down and I cut her throat to the bone. No blood came out. I gut her out and all the blood pours out of cavity. I didn't know any better, I don't think I gutted anything other than fish to that point. Just a myth I guess. I've cut a few since then, blood squirts right out when they're still alive.

Its how we kill our broiler chickens though. Upside down in a kill cone and a razor blade.

13-Jan-20
Never have and I killed a couple

13-Jan-20
Never did that and never heard of it. The best thing you can do is age the venison.

13-Jan-20
Since arrows kill deer via hemorrhage, they are already bled out by the time you get to them. I have heard about bleeding some species of fish but never tried it.

13-Jan-20
That’s an old wives tale. And when I say “old” you can get an idea of how old when the two oldest guys on here haven’t ever heard of it or done it. I only know of it because I grew up in an area where old hunting traditions thrived. Also it may have been a regional tradition. Many hunting traditions only occur within a geographic region, like the way we hang our deer to skin them.

Hunting has many tried and true traditional activities, but this one (cutting the throat) fell by the wayside and with good reason.

13-Jan-20
I've heard of it when I first got into hunting but never did it. Maine old timer told me if you field dress it there's not much left, so do that ASAP and keep the cavity clean.

13-Jan-20
I never did either...until we put up a large walk in cooler to hang our deer. we let them age for a couple weeks up to a month and have found that by cutting the neck they continue to drain via gravity for quite some time. we hang them head down.

Craig

13-Jan-20
Anything will drain off all its liquids when hung upside down for any length of time..do it to a water bottle and see what's left after a week..I used to bleed out blueish but they still taste like crap

13-Jan-20
What is a "blueish"? YouTube reference please?

13-Jan-20
Blue fish recipe - gut the fish, put round sea rocks in the cavity, wrap in tin foil with one whole lemon sliced, three sprigs of dill, and place on the grill for 15 minutes each side or until the flesh is flaky. Then, throw the fish away and eat the sea rocks,....much better than the blue fish :)

13-Jan-20
Where’s Travis?? :)

13-Jan-20
He quit in disgust after eating the "blueish"

14-Jan-20
Oneish twoish a sub species of blueish that can't show up on time..lol no YouTube reference yet but your local Benjamin Moore dealer might be able to help

14-Jan-20
Blueish: The color of Notme's girlfriend after he climbs on.

14-Jan-20
Blueish: the color of notme when he gets off

30-Jan-20
My deer bleed out when i shoot them. The rest comes out when gutting.

30-Jan-20
Ah, now you're just bragging :)

30-Jan-20
Silverado!

30-Jan-20
I think Steve said when he shoots those big bucks they drop gutted, never mind bled out. :)

30-Jan-20
I think Steve said when he shoots those big bucks they drop gutted, never mind bled out. :)

• Sitka Gear