Grasshopper 14-Jan-20
Jaquomo 15-Jan-20
Keith in colorado 15-Jan-20
Paul@thefort 15-Jan-20
Paul@thefort 15-Jan-20
KHunter 16-Jan-20
13-Jan-20

Grasshopper's Link
There is another group that has formed to oppose 107 the wolf ballot initiative, I like the moniker:

Colorado Wolf Ballot Initiative Fact Sheet The Colorado Secretary of State’s office confirmed an Initiative sponsored by extreme environmental groups calling for a forced introduction of wolves into Colorado will appear on the 2020 state ballot. RMEF strongly opposes this ballot initiative. Here’s why: Colorado Parks & Wildlife (CPW) already confirms an active wolf pack in northwest Colorado CPW, the recognized professional authority overseeing wildlife management, is already on the record multiple times as “opposed to the intentional release of any wolves into Colorado” CPW is legislatively mandated to NOT actively comment on the initiative so Colorado’s most informed scientific wildlife management voices are forced to be silent CPW already has a management plan in place for naturally migrating wolves This is an unfunded mandate with proponents offering ZERO support to pay for introduction, wolf depredation, deterrent measures, research or other financial burdens Initiative will cost Colorado taxpayers millions = legislative report shows a minimum cost of nearly $6 million by year-eight after introduction • Wyoming taxpayers pay $1.5 million annually for wolf management/depredation • Washington taxpayers pay $1.2 million annually for wolf management/depredation Initiative is driven by out-of-state interests: • Proponents raised $1 million from out-of-state donors • 15 members of proponents’ science advisory team are from out-of-state • Lead spokesman is from Montana & firm tasked with gathering signatures is from Utah Wolf populations will follow elk & spread from the West Slope to Rocky Mountain National Park, Estes Park, southern Colorado & into Utah, Arizona & New Mexico Scientists are currently trying to determine why elk populations in SW Colorado are struggling Of 64 elk & deer units already below objective, 54 of those are in western & southwest Colorado Wolves will negatively impact farming & ranching families including livestock & pets World’s foremost wolf researcher, David Mech, says claims of wolves stopping/slowing spread of CWD is merely speculation & CWD is spreading in Montana & Wyoming where wolves already exist Find more information at: https://rethinkwolves.com/

13-Jan-20
Nice. I hope they are more responsive to supporters than Stop The Wolf.

13-Jan-20
I'll keep them on my radar.

13-Jan-20
Good start. At least they appear have a clue.

14-Jan-20
Wolf issue was discussed on 630 KHOW this morning. The pro wolf guest was a hunter from Steamboat who said a majority of hunters on the front range and the western slope favor introduction...

Hmmmm...

Denny was the opposing guest but I tuned in after he was on.

14-Jan-20
If I was to guess, less than 1% of hunters favor. Just a guess.

14-Jan-20
Any idea who the pro-reintro hunter was?

14-Jan-20

Grasshopper's Link
You can listen online. My opinion of TRCP just dropped a few notches.

https://khow.iheart.com/content/2020-01-14-big-game-hunter-eric-washburn-supports-wolf-reintroduction/

Eric is a fifth-generation Coloradan who lives in Steamboat Springs with his wife and two sons.Eric is the sole proprietor of Windward Strategies, LLC, a natural resources and energy policy consulting practice. In 2003, he co-founded the Theodore Roosevelt Conservation Partnership, a coalition of over 50 national hunting and fishing conservation organizations working together on natural resource conservation policy. He has worked extensively in various policy-making and management capacities in the US Senate. This included being a Senior Policy Advisor for energy and natural resources to Senator Thomas Daschle, working for Senator Harry Reid as the Democratic Staff Director for the Senate Environment and Public Works Committee, and as the Legislative Director for Senator Thomas Daschle. Eric has an MFS in Forest Ecology from Yale University and an AB from Bowdoin College.

14-Jan-20
That guy does not represent the general consensus of Routt County.

At all.

Unfortunately, he has a platform.

14-Jan-20
I emailed Ross (the host) some info during the show and got a quick personal response. I get the impression he will cover this more going forward.

14-Jan-20
I'm going to start tuning in to the 630 KHOW Ross' talk show. I like him. As far as "Eric's" comment that moose are only 1% of a wolves diet? Hmmm....

14-Jan-20

EMar47's embedded Photo
EMar47's embedded Photo
I've looked at their website and read what they have to say about being against the ballot initiative, but a quick look at Coloradans for Wildlife's facebook page shows them supporting the initiative just over two months ago. Am I missing something?

14-Jan-20
Maybe they are pro wolf but now that we have identified a pack that came on their own and can repopulate Colorado they no longer support the ballot?

14-Jan-20
Actually I looked and found 2 pages with the title. One has 180 members and definitely not what we want. The other is very obviously anti introduction

14-Jan-20
Yup I just found it as well. Seems like a name change might be beneficial.

14-Jan-20
They should get a trademark and boot the other

15-Jan-20

Jaquomo's Link
Powwrful stuff from Washburn and Prybil in the Denver Post today, refuting all of the STW claims. Bowsite won't let me post the link but you can Google it.

15-Jan-20
Funny, that article ran the same week that the state of Montana reported that the taxpayers paid out over $247,000 to ranchers for "confirmed" livestock losses to wolves.

15-Jan-20
I just posted a COMMENT on the DenverPost, ie, this story. Paul

15-Jan-20
Letter: Mr. Pribyl and Mr. Washburn should be ashamed of themselves for their unfactual self indulging comments. This is not an anti wolf issue but an issue concerning the Forced reintroduction of the gray wolf into Colorado using Ballot Box Biology and not big game management science. The very Colorado Wildlife Commission that Mr. Pribyl served on is in OPPOSITION of any forced introduction of the wolf, and is on record, (CPW Resolution 16-01) stating so. Currently there are 25 Colorado Counties, of which 9 are Front Range, that have signed an Resolution OPPOSING the forced introduction of the gray wolf. What does the Colorado Wildlife Commission and CPW biologists know, and what do these 25 counties know that Mr. Pribyl and Mr. Washburn do not know or do not care to know. Paul Navarre, Ft. Collins Co.

this is my response to the Pribyl/Washburn Denver Post

16-Jan-20
"unfactual self indulging comments"

You mean wolf intro advocates lied, lied and lied some more don't you?

• Sitka Gear