VanInVTown 03-Feb-20
MCDM 03-Feb-20
Zack 03-Feb-20
MCDM 03-Feb-20
hickstick 11-Feb-20
MCDM 14-Feb-20
13-Jan-20

SixLomaz's Link
This is for all young at heart and slim shaped. I will try it too this coming May.

14-Jan-20
Watching that guy pull himself up the tree as he's leaning backwards I can picture someone turning upside down.

14-Jan-20
Sixlomaz, this is a good option If you preset the trees like they mentioned in the video. I’ve tried the DRT method and think it would be good on trees with a lot of branches or really thick trees. I’ve been practicing with a two tether method and the one stick method. Still not sure what I’m settling on.

14-Jan-20
I have used the Wild Edge Steps the entire year, I like them a lot.

14-Jan-20
Don't you find it cumbersome to carry how many Wild Edge steps you need to get to hunt height? The 75' rope plus the saddle and some other accessories should not weigh more than 4 lbs. You add the bow another 4-6 lbs and you are lightweight mobile to the max.

14-Jan-20
Bob.that's why he wears cement shoes..lol

I have a arborist buddy that showed me this method a couple of years ago, I just couldn't get used to it

16-Jan-20
I carry 8 steps, and use a knaider, and can get about 3 ft. between each step. I can easily get to 20+ feet with the 8 steps.

16-Jan-20
I think the main advantage to the drt method is the ability to have preset stand locations on public land without having to leave anything noticeable or of value. but I like to pick a tree on the fly, so its 3 lone wolf sticks for me. gets me up to to 15' and I carry a moveable aider if I want to get up to 20'. 3-4 steps per tree strap gets me setup quick.

16-Jan-20
Oh sure, it's easy when you have an aider to help you with your stands, but who can afford to pay someone to do that every time you go out :)

17-Jan-20
Eh...I'll stick to my climber or hang on.....doesn't interest me one bit to be honest..

17-Jan-20
i dont see how you go do this for an all day sit

17-Jan-20
HolePuncher, something I was thinking would be good for presets would be OD green heavy braided fishing line. Could maybe hold the looped ends in place with a low visible tack and no one would ever see it and remove it from the tree. If you go with the thicker para cord on public land someone might pull it out of the tree on you.

17-Jan-20
For those who are using a set up like this, do you use it exclusively for evening sits? Seems like slinging a 1 lb weight on a rope overhead in the dark would be difficult, if not dangerous. Also wondering how steady you are able to get when taking a shot. You must have to anchor your feet on something so your body isn't swaying while you try to aim?

17-Jan-20
N8tureboy,it would be an evening sit if your throwing a throw ball and line over a limb. The idea of putting a small preset line you leave in the tree would enable you to set up in the dark. You hook your climbing line to the pre-set line and pull your rope up.

17-Jan-20
And if you're old with bad shoulders you need someone to throw the darn thing over a limb.

17-Jan-20
I guess it would work for a run and gun in the evening. but you better be pretty good at tossing the ball over the limb or I imagine it could turn into a frustrating tangled mess in a hurry. treebeard, I like the braided line idea, I could even bring my fishing pole out for hanging presets because I know I'm deadly accurate with a rod and reel.

17-Jan-20
Very comfortable and safe to hunt from saddle. With sticks you can setup anytime. There is a foot platform for a steady shot in any position. Anyone interested I can demo and let you try it out this spring in May.

17-Jan-20
when it comes to sitting still all day, you can't really beat the comfort of something like a summit viper climber, but the the disadvantages of this type of stand far out weigh the comfort for me. the trick to making it all day in the saddle is the cycle through the many different positions you can into.

18-Jan-20
I can fall asleep on my summit climber and have the ability to stand up to hang my pack or retrieve something from it. I guess when you've been doing a certain way for soooo many years it becomes familiar and comfortable.

18-Jan-20
Preset ropes make a lot of sense. I like the fishing rod idea though... I seem to be an expert when it comes to slinging lures into tree tops...

19-Jan-20
If anyone is interested I am hosting an a event in the Boston Area but the actual location will be Auburn Mass. If anyone is interested you could check out Tethrdnation.com and look under our teach and train tour for additional details.

19-Jan-20
I'm trying to get my wife to join ;)

19-Jan-20
Just signed up. Very interested, but not 100% sold.

20-Jan-20
Nehunter, you'd be "bear food on a rope" if you used it in Goshen :)

20-Jan-20
MCDM - I'm hoping to be at the event Pete has put on for ever, and that it sounds like you will be doing this year. Just got my platform from Tetherd and will be ordering a Phantom as soon as they are available. Looking forward to giving this a go in 2020!

20-Jan-20
Will yes this is the event very similar to what Pete has put on. It will however focus on two groups. Myself and a few hand picked guys will help the newest and inexperienced to get acclimated to this style of hunting. I will have all the gear that they can try on. Everyone who attends will receive a discount code that they can purchase gear with. I represent Tethrd but any and all brands are welcome to attend. This is a try before you jump into it type event focusing on safe effective saddlehunting methods. The second group will be for the advanced guys to play with all the new toys they have and display their methods which I encourage everyone to check out. Food is provided and ill post a link to register for the actual event once i locked down the venue this week!!

21-Jan-20
What's the cost for a complete thether system? One issue that comes to mind is putting on additional clothing in cold weather. In my summit I can remove my boots and and socks and toe warmers, or put on my heavy coat that I packed in. How's that handled?

21-Jan-20
I spent $300 on my saddle, tether and lineman belt. you will also need a platform and a climbing method, I went with a ring of steps (3 squirrel steps and an ocb tree strap, $75) and 3 lone wolf sticks ($150). i didn't have any issues with cold weather layering, the leg straps and waist belt are all easily adjustable.

21-Jan-20
MCDM, if one was going to be buying a Phantom immediately on it's release, would one be able to receive a discount code :) in advance... Asking for a friend :) ha ha ha!

Hope to be there. I'm excited to be swinging around in the tree and exploring this stuff this year. My platform is cool, and I have decided on my climbing method. Just waiting on the sticks to become available again and for the Phantom to be available and it's done. I'm excited to walk into the woods with 2/3 less weight, and the ability to climb any living tree I want to, branchy or not, more or less. Psyched!

21-Jan-20
Bigbuckbob as long as your keeping you pants on you can pretty much layer everything else. As far as a system like complete package from Tethrd it can be upwards to $600 however there are other brands and some of the stuff can be made for less i.e. ropes, platforms etc. Now this may seem costly as you would still need a climbing method and that adds to it. The benefits to this cost are literally any tree you can access and you can be mobile for less weight. You also never have to worry about people tampering with your stuff. There are lots of benefits really and im sure people will always find cons. Saddlehunting is more of a system of hunting it takes a little time to figure out what works best for you and is truly based on the individual. However I have been doing it going into my 12th season and solely for about 6 years now. I do not own a single stand and have never found an area i cannot hunt. If you ever want to get together and check it out one on one id be happy to set some time aside one weekend!

21-Jan-20
Will yeah brother I wish i could just toss them out but codes won’t be available till the event lol!!! However I am happy to hear about your excitement man!! For me personally i just like seeing guys succeed and enjoy teaching and learning new methods of how to do things. I am huge on safety as I learned the hard way with a 20+ drop from a treestand back in the day. I got lucky and walked away but thats when I committed to the saddle and haven’t looked back. I can sit all day and go anywhere with it. Its totally worth the investment and the time.

22-Jan-20
If any of you are interested I have few Trophyline saddles for sale, small to x-large. I am sure I have few sets of step rings with straps for foot platform. You only need 3 climbing sticks with and aider to increase height over 15' if needed.

03-Feb-20

VanInVTown's Link
There is going to be a teach and train tour in August, in Auburn, Ma. See the link for details.

03-Feb-20
Thank you Vaninvtown for posting this. Ill be hosting and to all interested it is free. Please hit the going button and register at the eventbrite website to RSVP

03-Feb-20

Zack's Link
I have been thinking of trying to add the saddle with Knaider and Swaider system and only 5 steps. For those deep in spots.

03-Feb-20
Zack that is definitely a good setup. You may find you can get away with just 4 steps or less depending on your height. Let me know if you need any help

11-Feb-20
Bigbuckbob...I sleep in my saddle quite often. the best part is you don't have to worry about falling out if something startles you awake. lol I either put my arms across my bridge and rest my head on my arms, or just lean into the tree... (I often set up in forked or triple trunked trees and can usually get set up so I have one I can lean against to nap.)

as far as climbing methods I wil be doing DRT this year, but my go to is sticks. I use Leverage sticks with aiders and can be up and hunting in under 10min.

Matt...I've got Sticks, Stepp Ladder Steps (orig pre WE Jim Stepp), and screw ins/bolts that I can bring to auburn....or is Tethrd supplying all the stuff?

14-Feb-20
Hickstick Tethrd is supplying stuff for people to try and expose them to saddles and saddlehunting. I doubt i will have 50 saddles but i should have enough for people to get in and experiment with!! I will say bring your stuff anyway as i am sure people will inquire and you can share your experience and expertise as well!!

• Sitka Gear